• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
1900x didn't sell very well so I wouldn't hold your breath

I suspect that was down to being a lot more expensive than the 1800X and not being quite as fast. If AMD priced a 2900X the same asize the 2700X to be a gateway into X399 I think it would sell well and net then greater HEDT sales as upgrades.

I don't think that would eat into high end X470 as X399 is a big step up in motherboard cost then there's quad channel memory, better cooling and the temptation to buy more NVME drives and GPUs!

I may have to buy a 1900X and sit on it while they are still available...

Soldato
@ketma hope you get it sorted. I doubt it would be a HW problem.
I've left HWInfo running while using a few apps and playing a few games and the 1950X shows a max speed of 4175 (Hwinfo will show min, av, max MHz hit for each core for the entire period you're had it open).
Have you tried contacting AMD? Maybe look at their forum or contact support.
Only thing I can think of is make sure you don't use the Ryzen power profiles -I had a problem with general slow performance using one in the past although that doesn't seem to be the case here. Might be worth checking the power profit too, to make sure there is no max CPU speed set.
Use Ryzen Master and select I think the Creator mode and apply that (should be already set anyway I think)
Reset bios to defaults then on reboot set your memory up (DOCP) if using memory with XMP profile and see how you get on with that - leave everything else stock.
Installed the chipset drivers? I cant imagine that causing it but worth installing.
If bios as mentioned by someone else maybe resolved in next bios update - bit of a pain to have to wait tho

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks @DarrenM343 I hope I can find a solution for this as its really frustrating. I have a support ticket raised with AMD, I gave them further info on Friday, depending on what they come back with I'll raise this with Gigabyte.

I wonder if this could be isolated to the Aorus 7 as @awaybreaktoday has a similar issue to me. Perhaps when @amigafan2003 comes back with his post we can try to determine what if any option he may have selected in the BIOS that I have overlooked.

Good shout re. the Ryzen power profile I just swapped between them just to tick it off the list. I have the latest chipset drivers installed.

The system is stable with no errors in use, just this darn boost issue to sort and it would be perfect, which has tainted the 2950X upgrade.

Associate
@ketma have you tried disabling Core performance boost, save, rebooting and re-enabling core performance boost, save reboot, I had some problems in the early days of my MSI board where settings looked like they were set but weren't actually set, so did the firmware engineers version of turn it off and back on again.

Associate
@sandys - thanks, just tried what you suggested, 2 options: Auto and disabled, set to disabled and it did just that running @3.5GHz - no boosting as expected. Set back to auto and back to 4GHz max boost....

Associate
@ketma I had a similar issue with my 1900X on MSI MEG, reported it to MSI and they sent me a beta bios that fixed the problem. I now have a 2950X and it's working a treat. Contact Gygabyte and ask for any latest beta to try. Good luck.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
@sandys - thanks, just tried what you suggested, 2 options: Auto and disabled, set to disabled and it did just that running @3.5GHz - no boosting as expected. Set back to auto and back to 4GHz max boost....

Have you tried switching on PBO in Ryzen Master and see if that changes the boost clocks?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
As promised, here's a run down of the 1950x stock vs 2950x PBO comparison. Don't focus on the actual numbers too much - it's a year old windows install with about 40 apps running in the system tray and two VM's running - the comparison is just to see the uplifts offered.

The reason why I think this comparison is relevant is that I never ran my 1950x permanently OC'd as in my mind, losing XFR wasn't worth the permanent 4ghz OC. Now with the 2950x's PBO, it offers the best of both worlds (I'm still tuning PBO though, I'm sure I can get more out of it).

0ZCugsB.png

Soldato
@ketma I had a similar issue with my 1900X on MSI MEG, reported it to MSI and they sent me a beta bios that fixed the problem. I now have a 2950X and it's working a treat. Contact Gygabyte and ask for any latest beta to try. Good luck.

How are you finding the MEG? On paper looks a very nice board.

Associate
Not really, bios is pretty basic but it gets all the jobs done. 10GB nic perhaps like all the reviews have mentioned but it's no real deal breaker. Support has been pretty good as well, MSI have responded pretty efficiently when issue have been raised and gotten beta bioses out pretty quick, an official bios with all the fixes will follow soon I have been assured so it's all ok with me so far.

Soldato
As promised, here's a run down of the 1950x stock vs 2950x PBO comparison. Don't focus on the actual numbers too much - it's a year old windows install with about 40 apps running in the system tray and two VM's running - the comparison is just to see the uplifts offered.

The reason why I think this comparison is relevant is that I never ran my 1950x permanently OC'd as in my mind, losing XFR wasn't worth the permanent 4ghz OC. Now with the 2950x's PBO, it offers the best of both worlds (I'm still tuning PBO though, I'm sure I can get more out of it).
Great bit of testing - must have took a while. Some good gains there too. I've not bothered overclocking the 1950X either as I thought it wasn't worth it especially on air. I was going to go with a conservative OC but I was unable to get the boost working when I OC'ed to 3700 which I think turned out to be normal. I tried it as I thought I had read someone had managed to OC and have the boost working.
Was tempted to upgrade this time but not even had TR1 for 12 months yet so think I'll skip this one and upgrade when TR3 arrives. Impressive gains tho

Permabanned

0ZCugsB.png
Thanks for that....

Soldato
Been thinking about getting into the TR club. Plan is to buy a 1900X at the end of the month as a cheap way into the platform while they are still available and then buy a motherboard and RAM as funds allow.

Anyone see any flaws in the plan?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Been thinking about getting into the TR club. Plan is to buy a 1900X at the end of the month as a cheap way into the platform while they are still available and then buy a motherboard and RAM as funds allow.

Anyone see any flaws in the plan?

Take a look on the members market. A few members are selling 1st gen threadripper chips after their gen 2 upgrade ;)

Associate

0ZCugsB.png

Certainly a great effort in the number of tests run, but this doesn't prove that XFR2 is working on your system as default as you have invoked PBO.

XFR2 should allow the system to boost upto 4.4GHz on a few threads without PBO, if you have to enable PBO (which invalidates any warranty) to see a boost then there is clearly an issue with this CPU (and its advertised speeds) and the Aorus 7.

It points to the BIOS as @awaybreaktoday failed to see XFR taking effect after applying F10.

I've raised a ticket with Gigabyte to see what they come back with.

Back
Top Bottom