• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Associate
@ketma I had a similar issue with my 1900X on MSI MEG, reported it to MSI and they sent me a beta bios that fixed the problem. I now have a 2950X and it's working a treat. Contact Gygabyte and ask for any latest beta to try. Good luck.

I've raised a ticket as suggested - thx!

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Certainly a great effort in the number of tests run, but this doesn't prove that XFR2 is working on your system as default as you have invoked PBO.

XFR does work on my system - I can see it in in HWInfo.

I loaded optimised defaults in the bios, disabled PBO, set mem speeds and booted - XFR shows boosting on four cores up to 4.4 ghz (actually 4.375ghz but that's I think that's an issue with HWInfo not showing peak boost correctly).

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
As soon as I get back from work tomorrow I’m going to remove the battery to totally wipe the cmos and try what you’ve done....

Associate
XFR does work on my system - I can see it in in HWInfo.

I loaded optimised defaults in the bios, disabled PBO, set mem speeds and booted - XFR shows boosting on four cores up to 4.4 ghz (actually 4.375ghz but that's I think that's an issue with HWInfo not showing peak boost correctly).

Cleared cmos, loaded bios optimised results, didn't touch any other setting, left mem speed alone (2133) and booted into windows, tested Cinenech (single core) and prime 95 (1 thread) - no boost above 3.975MHz (as in Ryzen Master) - peak is 3.975MHz on any core. Balanced power profile in use.

Same as before....

Associate
Cleared cmos, loaded bios optimised results, didn't touch any other setting, left mem speed alone (2133) and booted into windows, tested Cinenech (single core) and prime 95 (1 thread) - no boost above 3.975MHz (as in Ryzen Master) - peak is 3.975MHz on any core. Balanced power profile in use.

Same as before....

Try this; Use HWiNFO64 with Riva Tuner and set up on screen display settings, then set High Performance windows power plan and run Superposition benchmark 1080p Extreme and watch your cpu speeds on the on screen display, mine will be boosting from 4025 to 4400 etc.....prime and cinebench won't cause XFR to work at all.

Soldato
Just ordered a 1900X for less than a 2700X and little more than an 8600K it seemed a bargain. X399 should last me years, the potential to still be a pretty powerful system in 5 years time sold me.

Anyone care to speculate on future X399 motherboards and what the compatibility with Gen 1, 2 and 3 CPU's is likely to be? I'm hoping to pick up a refreshed motherboard drop in the 1900X then at a later date upgrade to a Gen 3 CPU. I went for the 1900X as it is relatively cheap at the moment and I suspect may go EOL before too long.

Last edited:
Associate
@ketma drop me your email address and I'll send you over an F11d bios for the Gaming 7.

Thanks - I received that earlier today and just applied it. Working perfect, seeing boosts up to 4.4GHz which I never did on the old F10. Was just about to update the thread when I saw your post.

So pleased its working for me now and thanks for all the replies/help.

Noticed this has AGESA version 1.1.0.1

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Great news ketma :) No idea why f10 worked for me but not for you - prob just a quirk with some compatibility between components specific to our systems but glad it's all ok for you now. I've applied f11d myself and seem to be getting around 3% uptick in scores for low core tests (cpu-z single core went from 478 to 492).

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yeah very weird, but glad Gigabyte came through with a new BIOS to try - can't really fault them there. Just ran that bench and got same score as you which is reasurring.

:)

Soldato
What memory speeds are you all running? I can see lots of 3200MHz @C19 and others at 3200MHz C15. The price must be about 80% higher for C15.

Would there be much real world difference on X399?

Soldato
What memory speeds are you all running? I can see lots of 3200MHz @C19 and others at 3200MHz C15. The price must be about 80% higher for C15.

I'm using the 3200Mhz C14 8pack memory - 2 packs for total of 32GB and all be great.
It's discounted to £199.99 atm.
Not sure of real world difference but I went with the above to help ensure compatibility. Didn't see the point in saving a few £ when buying a £800 CPU.

Soldato
I'm using the 3200Mhz C14 8pack memory - 2 packs for total of 32GB and all be great.
It's discounted to £199.99 atm.
Not sure of real world difference but I went with the above to help ensure compatibility. Didn't see the point in saving a few £ when buying a £800 CPU.

Yes very nice stuff and as you went for the £800 monster it makes sense. I have a £264 1900X waiting for a motherboard and RAM. Hopefully I can do well and pick up something for decent without breaking the bank. I'm prepared to sacrifice a little performance if the saving is significant.

Associate

I have C16 RAM which I run at C14 with tight timings, lots of optimization required and on Ryzen/TR memory performance is important. you can gain a decent uplift in gaming frame rate from memory tweaks vs default out of the box performance.

So I would try to get lower latency as you can afford but all make sure the RAM is on motherboard QVL as Ryzen is a fussy bugger.

An old article here but still relevant

https://community.amd.com/community...emory-oc-showdown-frequency-vs-memory-timings

Soldato
Yes very nice stuff and as you went for the £800 monster it makes sense. I have a £264 1900X waiting for a motherboard and RAM. Hopefully I can do well and pick up something for decent without breaking the bank. I'm prepared to sacrifice a little performance if the saving is significant.
At OCUK the cheapest C16 seems to be £149.99 and the 8 pack C14 as mentioned above is £199.99, for 16GB, so £100 difference if going with 32GB which is a decent amount more I suppose.....but..... :)
I went with the Prime board £289.99. I didn't apply the same logic when buying that as I knew I wouldn't be bothered with overclocking and therefore couldn't justify £519.99 for the top end Asus board. Been very happy with the Prime. Stable, memory all worked fine from day one.
I do like Asus boards :), so choice was one or the other only.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom