• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Associate
Besty, could you explain re the bug for my benefit too? I'm experiencing a problem - when waking my computer from "sleep" mode the display doesn't come back on. I have to switch it off and back on, at which point it "resumes" but functions slowly. I thought it might be to do with Trixx. Any help appreciated!!

Soldato
Besty, could you explain re the bug for my benefit too? I'm experiencing a problem - when waking my computer from "sleep" mode the display doesn't come back on. I have to switch it off and back on, at which point it "resumes" but functions slowly. I thought it might be to do with Trixx. Any help appreciated!!

I believe the bug i have encountered is to do with the way the card handles voltages in 2D i.e they are too low for the card to operate correctly. Once i overclock and overvolt the card slightly in TRIXX all my problems go away and the card operates as expected. I have encountered no crashing, corruption, dots or white screen freckles during two days of heavy gaming which leads me to believe it is software rather than, hardware.

I did a google trawl on Sunday and saw quite a bit of discussion from when this generation of GPU was released regarding these problems (circa Feb 2010). The behaviour that i get is a coloured screen, sometimes with faint grey lines running down the screen. The PC appears to be still running in terms of disk-writes etc. although, it's hard to tell in what state. The OS records no Kernel crash or system error.

This behaviour is consistent with forum posts I read from 2010.

So if you are at stock, you might want to try a mild overvolt and overclock to see if the behaviour goes away.

A more sledgehammer approach would be to run the card in full-power 3d mode at all times by disabling the 2d mode in the BIOS, just to see if it sorts itself out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Managed to run Furmark and Unigine at 900/1200 but the benchmark that crashed it was the almighty...
...3dMark 2001se!!!

Just wanted to see what the card got compared to my prvious card (x800 pro!)

Soldato
Guys, I'm probably going to go crossfire in the foreseeable future, ie, I'm just awaiting results on the new amd bulldozer 8 core cpu to be released next month to see if it's that or the i5 2500k I'll be buying, before buying a second GFX. I'll also have to buy a new motherboard, and will buy one that supports both quad crossfire and quad sli. If it's the i5 I buy, will a second 5850 extreme in crossfire be a good purchase to see dramatic fps improvement?

Soldato
If it's the i5 I buy, will a second 5850 extreme in crossfire be a good purchase to see dramatic fps improvement?

The 5xxx series cards in crossfire generally get around 50-80'ish % extra fps compared to a single card, and that's if the game supports crossfire well.

69xx cards in crossfire are higher by about 10%. Think 68xx cards sit somewhere inbetween.

For the money, another 5850 should be a good buy.

Just keep in mind that you might need to do a bit of tweaking / fiddling around with Catalyst Application Profiles & RadeonPro to get the best out of them.

Associate
humm just download trixx 4.0.1 and was hoping to oc 850 / 1150 so i pumped the voltage up to 1.14 ran benchmarks instally crashed drive recovered (un stable) so checked gpuz and seems my voltages havnt changed (max is 1.08) any ideas ??

im running the new ccc 11.4 btw

Last edited:
Associate
I had the same with GPUZ, it didn't report 1.2v but 1.08. However I am sure the card is running at the correct voltage in Trix as if I try overclocking it in CCC to the same speeds it's instant fail.

Someone above wanted Heaven scores, here are mine:

FPS:
Scores:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz
CPU flags:
3400MHz MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 HTT
GPU model:
ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series 8.841.0.0 1024Mb
Settings
Render:
direct3d11
Mode:
1440x900 4xAA fullscreen
Shaders:
high
Textures:
high
Filter:
trilinear
Anisotropy:
4x
Occlusion:
enabled
Refraction:
enabled
Volumetric:
enabled
Tessellation:
normal

Last edited:
Soldato
Voltage only affects the core clock afaik, so leave the memory at stock speeds until you get the most from the gpu, then slowly start to raise it.

I take it you hit apply after changing the gpu voltage & saved the profile ?

Associate
Voltage only affects the core clock afaik, so leave the memory at stock speeds until you get the most from the gpu, then slowly start to raise it.

I take it you hit apply after changing the gpu voltage & saved the profile ?

yep then tested it using bfbc2 and msi after burner and it instantally crashes both msi afterburner and gpuz says it is running at 850/1150 but only at 1.088 v :/

Associate
yep then tested it using bfbc2 and msi after burner and it instantally crashes both msi afterburner and gpuz says it is running at 850/1150 but only at 1.088 v :/

Although GPUz displays 1.088v, it uses the voltage you specified in Trixx; I know because I get the same readings, but I was able to OC up to 920-940/1225 @1.225v so far. You should probably try with more voltage, say 1.200-1.250v which is a safe max and then slowly raise the core clock.

Associate
Although GPUz displays 1.088v, it uses the voltage you specified in Trixx; I know because I get the same readings, but I was able to OC up to 920-940/1225 @1.225v so far. You should probably try with more voltage, say 1.200-1.250v which is a safe max and then slowly raise the core clock.

nope no luck took it to 1.25 (850mhz core) and still crashes not gonna go anyhigher just in case

what ccc version are you using?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm using CCC 11.4 and more or less getting same results as Thanatos. I got crashes with not enough voltage. I had to use 1.15 to get 850mhz - try that maybe. Up to 1.2 is definitely no prob imo. Does everything work normally at the default settings?

Associate
nope no luck took it to 1.125 (850mhz core) and still crashes not gonna go anyhigher just in case

what ccc version are you using?

Yesterday I installed the latest Cat 11.5a (with hotfix) from here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx

I would suggest you to lower the memory at stock speed and try to upper only the core clock in order to find the max possible..make sure you use at least 1.2v. I managed to get 825/1225 with my card at stock voltage, but not every card is the same and as far as I remember @1.15v I didn't get much of increase at the core clock; I think up to 1.25v is safe to go with the 5850, providing it doesn't get too hot for a long period of time (over 80-85°C).

Last edited:
Associate
Yesterday I installed the latest Cat 11.5a (with hotfix) from here: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst115ahotfix.aspx

I would suggest you to lower the memory at stock speed and try to upper only the core clock in order to find the max possible..make sure you use at least 1.2v. I managed to get 825/1225 with my card at stock voltage, but not every card is the same and as far as I remember @1.15v I didn't get much of increase at the core clock; I think up to 1.25v is safe to go with the 5850, providing it doesn't get too hot for a long period of time (over 80-85°C).

problem solved thanks just installed that 11.5 driver and works fine now :)

Associate
Just played a couple of hours on crysis. (maxed with 4AA at 1680*1050 by the way!) and I've got a max temp on the 2 cards of 63C each. Is this strangely low or do these cards actually run very cool?

This is about the same temp my 5770 ran at but with these being more powerful cards and being so close to each other, I was expecting higher. Idle temps of 35-40 now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine hasnt had a couple of hours gaming usage yet but i will let you know when it has!
What kind of framerates are you getting with the crossfire?

Associate
This is with 1680*1050, both games on max settings apart from AA which is 4x because any more is useless on 1680*1050 imo.

2011-05-11 13:55:17 - crysis
Frames: 21203 - Time: 406630ms - Avg: 52.143 - Min: 25 - Max: 82

The only reason the minimum frames were quite low was because when the auto save kicks in the game freezes for maybe 0.5 seconds.

In bad company 2 I was getting about 90 minimum fps and it was sitting at about 120 most of the time - my ati 5770 would get me about 40-60 fps at the same settings. These are the only two I have really tried so far.

Associate
Just played a couple of hours on crysis. (maxed with 4AA at 1680*1050 by the way!) and I've got a max temp on the 2 cards of 63C each. Is this strangely low or do these cards actually run very cool?

This is about the same temp my 5770 ran at but with these being more powerful cards and being so close to each other, I was expecting higher. Idle temps of 35-40 now.

nope they do run very low mine is oc'd at 900/1150 (with 1.21v) on furmark for 30mins only hit a max of 68 degrees (with the fan on auto )

Back
Top Bottom