• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official Sapphire Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5850 Extreme 5850 Extreme Owners Thread**

Associate
I'm on my phone so can't copy the link but search up on youtube "5850 extreme" and look for a video posted by hitechlegion. They have 2 videos on the card but the one you want to see is the one about overclocking with trixx. You can see the option to change volts is there.
I've seen that one already, but it's still at stock voltage.

Associate
This is my first post here, I just registered here to share with you my experience on this specific GPU. I bought a couple of days ago here in Greece, upgrading from a 8800GTS. In the beginning I thought my CD2 E6750 (@3.2GHz) would bottleneck really bad, but it worked just fine with it.

Anyway, I did install the latest version of Trixx, but I wasn't able to change the voltage at all (I use the latest CCC 11.4). Though I managed to achieve a nice OC @825/1225 running stable FurMark, Kombustion, 3dmark Vantage and 2011 as well as Unigine Heaven. Actually that unigine heaven demo helps a lot to discover unstable OC (in which case the GPU driver resets and the demo crashes). With this max OC I got P16364 (GPU score) in Vantage and P3506 in 3dmark 2011.

I hope Sapphire will release a working version of Trixx soon, in order to push the OC a little bit higher.

Soldato
Just ordered one of these as an upgrade from my stopgap 5450, the last decent graphics card I owned and used was an x800 pro so I am hoping to see a huuuuuuuuuuge increase in performance :)

Associate
Just installed mine, and glad to say it works fine so far (furmark + crysis benches). I'm running a Corsair VX450 and no issues there. Surprised to only see a 5fps increase or so with Crysis from a 4850... does that sound right? Using Cat 10.9 btw.

Associate
Just installed mine, and glad to say it works fine so far (furmark + crysis benches). I'm running a Corsair VX450 and no issues there. Surprised to only see a 5fps increase or so with Crysis from a 4850... does that sound right? Using Cat 10.9 btw.
I think that 5FPS more in Crysis is better than nothing, but have you tried other games as well? Try the standard benchmarking programs too, such as 3Dmark Vantage, 3Dmark 2011, Unigine heaven etc. Why do you use the older Cat 10.9 and not the latest 11.4?

Associate
I did the same, but the difference is really noticible for me from 4850 to 5850 using catalyst 11.4.

Associate
Well, I have ordered another one, taken the plunge given that other people who had replacements have been OK. Hope can get it working this time, and if I can, I shall get another for Crossfire.

Associate

Nope, doesn't sound right. Techpowerup review suggests that you should be getting a 70-100% increase. Maybe you are been bottlenecked by your CPU?

Associate
I have a budget of £150 to spend on a new video card. Should I get this or get another card ? I have a i5 2500k at the moment but using a good old 8800GTS 640mb.

Should I just wait or grab the sapphire? From the benchmarks it seems that £100 is a steal. Also I'm a bit worried about noise I can't seem to find any dB levels for it.

Associate
Nope, doesn't sound right. Techpowerup review suggests that you should be getting a 70-100% increase. Maybe you are been bottlenecked by your CPU?

Ran Heaven benchmark and got twice the score of the 4850 in DX10, so looks ok maybe. Cat 11.4 added another 2fps to Crysis, and having looked at the reviews the fps looks about right. Oh well.

CPU is an E7200 at 3.35Ghz - would that bottleneck it? Am awaiting a Megahalems to see how much more it can do...

Associate
I have a budget of £150 to spend on a new video card. Should I get this or get another card ? I have a i5 2500k at the moment but using a good old 8800GTS 640mb.

Should I just wait or grab the sapphire? From the benchmarks it seems that £100 is a steal. Also I'm a bit worried about noise I can't seem to find any dB levels for it.

Noise is definitely not an issue with this card!!!

Associate
I've managed to get some stability out of this card now.

Over the weekend I removed all traces of any ATI software - drivers, registry entries etc... and just installed the latest AMD drivers without CCC or any other software.

I've not managed any driver issues, crashes, freezes etc now. Phew.

Obv it does not have as many options for tinkering with the card yet - and I beleive from other posts there isn't a compatible trixx yet?

Associate
I've managed to get some stability out of this card now.

Over the weekend I removed all traces of any ATI software - drivers, registry entries etc... and just installed the latest AMD drivers without CCC or any other software.

I've not managed any driver issues, crashes, freezes etc now. Phew.

Obv it does not have as many options for tinkering with the card yet - and I beleive from other posts there isn't a compatible trixx yet?
Latest version of TRIXX (v.4) allows you to oc to a certain extent but yeah there's no adjustable voltage option yet. I managed to oc to 820/1250 @ stock volt. though.

Associate
Thats a nice overclock dude. I can only manage 800/1150 stable. I can probably get a little more on stock volts but I think I'd need some better case airflow.

I look forward to a new version of trixx so I can up the voltage.

Associate
OP
What kind of power supply do you have? If the PSU isn't powerful enough you could run into issues while overclocking GPUs or CPUs; the 5850 needs at least a 500W decent PSU to function properly.

These cards don't overclock well and the most I could overclock my 5850 Extreme when I had it was from 725mhz to a measly 770 stable when gaming.

Also the total power draw of my entire system during full load was just over 200w so you could easily get away with using a decent 350W+ PSU.

Back
Top Bottom