******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
OP
Yup both TheCorp and PAGAN info is up to date, you can actually join both without any issue :D One of the benefits of the multi-org system.

Soldato
The Freelancer does look nice. I wish I had gone for one one, but I was unsure on how useful the NPC's are going to be. So I'd decided to stick to solo ships.

Soldato
Well If anyone's a fan of FPS I was going to focus my corp on that side of the game?
boarding, hired mercs to defend the ship interior, that Kind of stuff.
I have nothing to offer as the FPS module is far off, but I could always post it up here if people would be interested?

Soldato
Well If anyone's a fan of FPS I was going to focus my corp on that side of the game?
boarding, hired mercs to defend the ship interior, that Kind of stuff.
I have nothing to offer as the FPS module is far off, but I could always post it up here if people would be interested?
For me that's why I got the cutlass, ship boarding & theft will be my speciality - always loved capturing ships in games like the X series, EvE I used to ransom/force eject with payment whenever possible.

Really hope the first person side is good, from just the movement & in engine graphics we've seen so far it looks great.

Must continue the trend. :cool:

Associate
Although both kickstarters launched around the same time, I believe ED was a lot further on with development (engine had already been fully operational inc procedural gen), so that might explain it.
Nope. One of the ED devs cleared this up -- everything you see in ED was implemented post-Kickstarter, except for their base Cobra engine. They'd done some skunkworks projects for viability, and some technology from another game (The Outsider, which never made it to production) was incorporated. But that's really only the same place that CIG started from with SC, who started with CryEngine rather than Cobra.

The big advantages that Frontier had were that their team was already well established (though they still had to recruit heavily for ED) and that they had a core team who had fundamental knowledge of the engine so were able to more easily modify it. CIG have had to build up a company from scratch (well, pretty much) and have had to bring in the CryEngine team to help them modify the engine for their needs.

That being said, I think that AC and ED Alpha 1.0 have probably had around the same effort on them. On the face of it, ED's Alpha was a lot more polished in the flight controls department. Not to say that the flight controls in AC won't be iterated upon as the Alpha progresses, but given there's a stark contrast in opinion (some love it, some hate it) it's going to be hard to find a good middle ground. By pretty much nailing it first time, Frontier have avoided that painful decision.

Soldato
I find in SC that yaw is too quick and pitch is quite slow. I'd have imagined that given thruster placement and most ships being "plane" shape that you'd get a quicker pitch/roll than yaw.

Soldato
Just chucking a post in this new thread so it shows up easier in the subforum lol.

i found myself enjoying it even with the fact i have to change my FOV and disable motion blur every time i run the game to get it playable lol

Soldato
OP
I'm having to turn off motion blur too mate, feel like I'm getting travel sick even with it turned to 1.. Glad you got it running at all, what was the problem? Crossfire?

Soldato
OP
That being said, I think that AC and ED Alpha 1.0 have probably had around the same effort on them. On the face of it, ED's Alpha was a lot more polished in the flight controls department. Not to say that the flight controls in AC won't be iterated upon as the Alpha progresses, but given there's a stark contrast in opinion (some love it, some hate it) it's going to be hard to find a good middle ground. By pretty much nailing it first time, Frontier have avoided that painful decision.

I think you've nailed it there, the difference from the two to me are that ED were organised from the start for the scale of the project they were taking on. Chris Roberts was, then ended up getting WAY more cash thrown at him than he expected and they've constantly increased the scope of the project, it's not been scope creep, it's literally run off into the distance.

I'm hoping ED is out before the end of the year, I don't want to beta test it - but I am really keen to get in my Cobra and die horribly :D

Soldato
Still downloading... I think. Started it at 3am this morning, but am only on a 1.5mb connection.
I checked in for about 2 hours this morning and it just said PLEASE WAIT.

Meanwhile, flew the Hornet and 300i (love that grey colour scheme) on a friend's PC last night.
The Hornet is a complete ASS of a ship. Flipping thing moves like a dead cow!!
"Gates of Heaven my BUTT - You give me a fully loaded Hornet... and I'll show you the gates to the frikkin' Glue Factory, mate!!"

By contrast, the 300i was fantastic - I hit Vanduul Wave 5 without even trying, or knowing what all the keys did!
I own a 300i and Aurora myself, so really happy about that.

I then went away and started reading the manual and all the loooooooooong explanations about how to get a 'Firing Solution'... "Seriously, it'd likely have cost me less to join the RAF and become a fighter pilot in order to learn all this crap".
I do get what CR is trying to do and I really appreciate every inch of it... it's just a bit of a shock to *have* to read a game manual before you can really get stuck in. My brain took some time to wrap itself around the idea, as I haven't really had to do this since the late 1980s!!

So yeah, after many agonising months and even years, the game is starting to show a lot of promise. It will likely take FAR longer to reach full release and have everything all good than people are expecting, but I think this will eventually be very very cool.

Associate
Still downloading... I think. Started it at 3am this morning, but am only on a 1.5mb connection.
I checked in for about 2 hours this morning and it just said PLEASE WAIT.

Mine was stuck on 'Please Wait' for about 2 hours; a restart of the star citizen program solved that, and I was in.

You may have run into the same bug as me.

Soldato
OP
Ignore the "PLEASE WAIT" bit, but to be on the safe side check your HDD isn't overly active before closing. I was leaving my client open for P2P thinkingi it'd help others but it'd occassionally go to that message until I closed and reopened the launcher.

Soldato
I'm pleasantly surprised with AC so far to be honest. Obviously there's a long way to go but it's better than I expected. Annoyingly I can't get invert mouse to work though (it works in the hangar but in flight goes back to normal). It's quite amusing how much damage you can take but still carry on :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just had a go. Can't really do much can you? Messed about for 5 mins and got bored. But it is the first alpha so was not expecting much anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom