******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
That's why you have insurance ;) all ships come with it.

To each their own but for me it is about immersion. ED does a terrible terrible job at creating a plausible civilisation. IF players could only be "roleplaying serial killers" in unpopulated space with no juristiction and if players were then forced to live on the fringes shunned from society then i would be fine with it, however ED is broken imo, in that players can do what ever they want, within the vicintiy of a station in high security, then jump into another ship and all is fine.

That completely breaks the 4th wall for me and screams "videogame" So personally I would rather play outside of that. I never fly without rebuy so it is less about ship loss (however i also believe that billion credit ships should NOT be treated like disposable items and losing one SHOULD be something to fear).

its difficult to please everyone however.

Caporegime
To each their own but for me it is about immersion. ED does a terrible terrible job at creating a plausible civilisation. IF players could only be "roleplaying serial killers" in unpopulated space with no juristiction and if players were then forced to live on the fringes shunned from society then i would be fine with it, however ED is broken imo, in that players can do what ever they want, within the vicintiy of a station in high security, then jump into another ship and all is fine.

That completely breaks the 4th wall for me and screams "videogame" So personally I would rather play outside of that. I never fly without rebuy so it is less about ship loss (however i also believe that billion credit ships should NOT be treated like disposable items and losing one SHOULD be something to fear).

its difficult to please everyone however.

They have addressed this, Claiming on your insurance is cheap, at least to start with, this is to allow you some time and mistakes before you make substantial money, if you start to abuse the insurance system is starts to get very expensive, eventually you're insurance company may even turn around and say "no more" and you have to buy a new ship.

You also pickup injuries if you start to treat your ship as something disposable, so there are costs to being a #### :)

Soldato
indeed and this is one of the things about SC which may interest me....however if i am honest i still am a die hard PvEer however and have a dislike for PvP in games where death is anything other than meaningless (because there will always end up being a meta and i cant stand meta builds)....... but PvP aside those features for PvE sounds great to me........... BUT the thing killing my interest for SC is lack of VR.

I have put pushing 2000 hrs into ED, 95% of it in VR and i would not have put 10% of that game time in had it not been for my oculus rift.

Some genres to me, and some games to me that i used to love dearly just do not grab me any more if not in VR. I know it is still "in the road map" for something to be added in after launch but i think i will be waiting and seeing for that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I like ED, i have Horizons, its very atmospheric, a beautifully made game but i haven't played it much, i feel a little lonely and constrained in it, once you set out to explore the shear size of makes it a bit empty as there are no real people around and as a sandbox all becomes a bit "the same"

SC is in danger of becoming a lonely place too when it expands, i'd really rather it didn't become too big, it doesn't need thousands of systems, no more than a couple of dozen otherwise its player base becomes too thinly spread and you can go for days without seeing anyone real.

Soldato
I guess it depends what you want in a game. i love the feeling of isolation you get, the feeling of "unease" i got when 1st landing on a thargoid settlement and sending my ship off, leaving me alone was palpable. FD should keep quiet and insert very very rare jump scares in there, i think, those in VR may need new pants if that happened.

sadly i knew about hyperdictions when i had my 1st but if not i think that would have had the desired effect.

I guess some just like different games to others and that is great. i have no problem not seeing other real players. it does mean that npcs need to be up to snuff however (and this is something they are NOT in ED).

Soldato
OP
I like ED, i have Horizons, its very atmospheric, a beautifully made game but i haven't played it much, i feel a little lonely and constrained in it, once you set out to explore the shear size of makes it a bit empty as there are no real people around and as a sandbox all becomes a bit "the same"

SC is in danger of becoming a lonely place too when it expands, i'd really rather it didn't become too big, it doesn't need thousands of systems, no more than a couple of dozen otherwise its player base becomes too thinly spread and you can go for days without seeing anyone real.

I think we'll find that CIG keep instance number fairly small as it's a dynamically scaling infrastructure they have, will save money. You'll always be on a server with real people, with your friends and persons of interest to you (old enemies etc) if you've added them and they are nearby etc

Caporegime
A look around Area 18, 1440P

The orbital surface texture i think is placeholder.
Some glitchyness and performance issues remain.

On entering the atmosphere i pulled the nose up a bit to gain some speed to activate the atmospheric entry effect and i over did it, i thought my favorite ship was going to melt :o

Close to the surface with all the detail loaded in ArcCorp looks incredible, i'm astonished they actually pulled it off, its a planet city, you can fly low and close to all the buildings, some have landing platforms on them. it all looks stunning.
I didn't go around all areas of Area 18, the file was big enough at 10GB.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Soldato
A look around Area 18, 1440P

The orbital surface texture i think is placeholder.
Some glitchyness and performance issues remain.

On entering the atmosphere i pulled the nose up a bit to gain some speed to activate the atmospheric entry effect and i over did it, i thought my favorite ship was going to melt :o

Close to the surface with all the detail loaded in ArcCorp looks incredible, i'm astonished they actually pulled it off, its a planet city, you can fly low and close to all the buildings, some have landing platforms on them. it all looks stunning.
I didn't go around all areas of Area 18, the file was big enough at 10GB.

Enjoy.

Watched this last night, with my jaw on the floor. Absolutely awesome :eek: They've really knocked it out of the park with that!

How large is the city? And are there/will there be other cities to explore?

Caporegime
Watched this last night, with my jaw on the floor. Absolutely awesome :eek: They've really knocked it out of the park with that!

How large is the city? And are there/will there be other cities to explore?

The whole planet is covered in buildings but its also made of sectors that are clusters of really tall buildings, those are the focal points, the main one of which is called Area 18, it looks to me from one side of the other about 20KM.

Obviously you can't actually explore all of it on foot, most of it is just scenery and out of bounds tho you can land on a lot of those buildings and they are on the outside at least high detail proper geometric structures, not low poly sprites.

When you exit quantum travel you end up dead center of the planet, Area 18 was on the same side to where i exited QT and near the edge about 700 km away, so i'm guessing its 1,400 to 1,500 km across, (Width) to put that into perspective our Moon is 1,737 km, Mercury is 2,440 km, Mars 3,390 km, Venus 6,052 km, Earth 6,371 km.

Other city's are accessible but only via landing pads on the buildings, Chris said they will be mission locations at a later date.

Did i burn the nose of my Freelancer? :o

uQGxXCn.jpg.png

BcWJAIy.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The whole planet is covered in buildings but its also made of sectors that are clusters of really tall buildings, those are the focal points, the main one of which is called Area 18, it looks to me from one side of the other about 20KM.

Obviously you can't actually explore all of it on foot, most of it is just scenery and out of bounds tho you can land on a lot of those buildings and they are on the outside at least high detail proper geometric structures, not low poly sprites.

When you exit quantum travel you end up dead center of the planet, Area 18 was on the same side to where i exited QT and near the edge about 700 km away, so i'm guessing its 1,400 to 1,500 km across, (Width) to put that into perspective our Moon is 1,737 km, Mercury is 2,440 km, Mars 3,390 km, Venus 6,052 km, Earth 6,371 km.

Other city's are accessible but only via landing pads on the buildings, Chris said they will be mission locations at a later date.

Did i burn the nose of my Freelancer? :o

uQGxXCn.jpg.png

BcWJAIy.jpg.png

Wow that is mind blowing :eek:

I'm super excited for this!

So cool that the front of your ship has heat effects :D

Caporegime
3.5 is now Live, it looks like other than adding Females, ArcCorp ecte... the shaders are also updated, the whole game looks a little different with subtle texture details more defined on the ships and terrain, for example this is what Yela surface now looks like.

0jBFko6.jpg.png

lU8P1Tc.jpg.png

Soldato
I haven’t read too much into it yet - but I read that starter ships can take upwards of 20 mins to fly to a new planet - is that true?

Back
Top Bottom