******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Caporegime
They'll probably want to rejig the engine for real-time ray tracing. We may be back in the EU by the time it's "done" :p

Given its Cryengine... it already has it, has done for years, it's used both for Real Time Reflections are Global Illumination, just like nVidia's stupid demos.

I was ####'ing about with it years ago...

Real time water reflections

Here: https://youtu.be/exW1SJUSr90?t=29

And here: https://youtu.be/exW1SJUSr90?t=120

Crydocs on SVOGI https://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=25535599

Every frame on GPU we trace thousands of rays through the voxels (and shadow maps) in order to gather occlusion and indirect lighting.

Its why Crytek were able to knock up a Raytracing demo so quickly and running on a Vega 56.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Given its Cryengine... it already has it, has done for years, it's used both for Real Time Reflections are Global Illumination, just like nVidia's stupid demos.

I was ####'ing about with it years ago...

Real time water reflections

Here: https://youtu.be/exW1SJUSr90?t=29

And here: https://youtu.be/exW1SJUSr90?t=120

Crydocs on SVOGI https://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=25535599

Its why Crytek were able to knock up a Raytracing demo so quickly and running on a Vega 56.

Hunt Showdown

QkrshcG.jpg.png

Cwbc6jD.jpg.png

https://youtu.be/mU7HWCVASH0?t=181

Soldato
Something is obvious agnes, but sadly I'd get banned for enlightening you.

:rolleyes: By all means, go ahead. I'm just going to hate on this game and the creators until they stop scamming or actually fabricate a released game. Neither will happen and as I've said before, I'd love to be proven wrong as the concept of this game is brilliant. But in my opinion, it's a concept that just will never see realisation past tech demo's.

If that opinion offends people, then I think there may be a bigger problem here.

It's a sham and the sooner people realise that, the sooner the company will close up shop and move on.

Soldato
Its a very elaborate and expensive scam if it is.

Agreed, I come off strong, and again, I'd like to point out I'd LOVE this game to come to fruition. People just don't like being shown that charging thousands for a ship in a game that isn't even through alpha after 6 years since the first alpha release. 8 years in development and I know they've had multiple issues with engines etc, but still... And don't even get me started on the road map haha.

@Raumarik, I get it, I'm digging into something you love and pour a lot of time (and maybe money? But that is none of my business on how you spend your money and if you enjoy the game then hell yea! Spend away) into and that may appear obnoxious and childish, and probably is. I only come into this thread to check on the progress and how people are doing in the hopes I stumble upon a post that announces (as Googling always brings up false positives) the games next big step. Until then, I will cling onto my opinions (as loud as they are) and call it out for that I think the game is, a tech demo with expensive polygon assets.

Soldato
Its a very elaborate and expensive scam if it is.
Just for reference, I paid up for the basic 'product' in the first few weeks, but it was out of nostalgic hope rather than realistic expectation. I spent a couple of years mangling machine code trying to create a game, back in the early 90's, so although I'm far, far, far from an expert, I do know how feature creep and lack of talent and time management will strangle your dreams with the rope of good intentions.

I think Roberts is a product of the early years of gaming when folk were more forgiving and more impressed at the breakthroughs you could make with rapidly changing technology. In a mature market, where virtually anything is possible in a simulated environment if you throw enough time and money at it, there are no limits to how grand a vision you can have and how many dreams you can throw at a whiteboard.

Crowdfunding is not good for dreamers; it encourages them to dream rather than deliver. Hunger is what makes you deliver, but crowdfunders keep throwing food waste into the skip behind Roberts Space Industries.

So is this a scam? No. Is it a long term hobby and employment scheme by dreamers, for dreamers? Yes, and maybe there's no harm in that. Dreamers will always find something to put their time and money into, and at least this way some folk are being kept in jobs and hopefully developing skills for their next employer. I'm glad I stopped at the basic package though; I just wish I'd done the same with iRacing! Took me the best part of £700 before I realised I was keeping people in jobs in exchange for buying content which only diluted my experience. So I can't be throwing stones in this greenhouse, even though I was buying content I could occasionally use on an active service.

Whatever happens to Star Citizen though, I feel I've had my money's worth out of this ongoing development soap opera. This thread alone has probably been worth the twenty-whatever quid I paid. Don't tell OcUK that though or they'll be working out how to monetise the Brexit thread. :)

Caporegime
Just for reference, I paid up for the basic 'product' in the first few weeks, but it was out of nostalgic hope rather than realistic expectation. I spent a couple of years mangling machine code trying to create a game, back in the early 90's, so although I'm far, far, far from an expert, I do know how feature creep and lack of talent and time management will strangle your dreams with the rope of good intentions.

I think Roberts is a product of the early years of gaming when folk were more forgiving and more impressed at the breakthroughs you could make with rapidly changing technology. In a mature market, where virtually anything is possible in a simulated environment if you throw enough time and money at it, there are no limits to how grand a vision you can have and how many dreams you can throw at a whiteboard.

Crowdfunding is not good for dreamers; it encourages them to dream rather than deliver. Hunger is what makes you deliver, but crowdfunders keep throwing food waste into the skip behind Roberts Space Industries.

So is this a scam? No. Is it a long term hobby and employment scheme by dreamers, for dreamers? Yes, and maybe there's no harm in that. Dreamers will always find something to put their time and money into, and at least this way some folk are being kept in jobs and hopefully developing skills for their next employer. I'm glad I stopped at the basic package though; I just wish I'd done the same with iRacing! Took me the best part of £700 before I realised I was keeping people in jobs in exchange for buying content which only diluted my experience. So I can't be throwing stones in this greenhouse, even though I was buying content I could occasionally use on an active service.

Whatever happens to Star Citizen though, I feel I've had my money's worth out of this ongoing development soap opera. This thread alone has probably been worth the twenty-whatever quid I paid. Don't tell OcUK that though or they'll be working out how to monetise the Brexit thread. :)

Good post, good read :)

Soldato
To me, ArmA 3 and SC/SQ42 are two sides of the same coin. ArmA 3 launched with very little content and it grew during the years. Features got "lost" between the time it was presented and launch and performance improvements plus engine updates were too few to actually support the game's vision. Today, after so many years, ArmA 3 is still a mess, missing a lot of opportunities due to its incredible bad performance both in SP and MP and the stubbornness of the developers to actually develop the engine more.

SC/SQ42, on the other hand, takes its time, develops the tech required first and builds around it. I rather have this than what Bohemia made out of their game(s), although I get it, it's an popular approach as people tend to want everything "now".

Soldato
:rolleyes: By all means, go ahead. I'm just going to hate on this game and the creators until they stop scamming or actually fabricate a released game.
do you think that stance on a random thread of a random forum will achieve anything, or do you just like to do that kinda thing, for whatever reason you deem worthwhile? if it's that important to you why not do something a little more productive about it? see if Smart needs a blog mate, for instance.

Soldato
OP
do you think that stance on a random thread of a random forum will achieve anything, or do you just like to do that kinda thing, for whatever reason you deem worthwhile? if it's that important to you why not do something a little more productive about it? see if Smart needs a blog mate, for instance.

Agnes's entire history on these forums is one sentence nonsense, not worth bothering with. It's not as if they contribute in any useful way to conversations about the topics they participate in, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure it won't tickle anyone the wrong way.

Back
Top Bottom