*****Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread*****

Man of Honour
Oooh, I'd like to see that forum drama escalate when it was first noticed :)

Thing is, despite all the whining and drama, people would still buy it anyway. Its MMOers nature to moan and complain, its virtually all an MMOer does on a forum, they'll complain things are too easy/hard, too boring, too rubbish, too carrot on a stick, too expensive, too grindy...then they will shove their hands in their pockets and still pay monthly anyway.

Of course , they will do a free month anyway as its pretty standard, but even if they didnt I suspect most people (after repeatedly whining about it) would still buy regardless. :)

Soldato
It's just been done to death at this stage imo. It's almost like an on-rails shooter at this stage, you go from one cluster of npcs with signs above their heads to the next, killing ten rats and collecting 10 mushrooms. Get slightly better gear than before, rinse and repeat until you hit end game.

It was only with Rift that I realised how sick of it I was.

Associate
It's just been done to death at this stage imo. It's almost like an on-rails shooter at this stage, you go from one cluster of npcs with signs above their heads to the next, killing ten rats and collecting 10 mushrooms. Get slightly better gear than before, rinse and repeat until you hit end game.

It was only with Rift that I realised how sick of it I was.

There's just not that many other ways of doing it though, with a few thousand on each server, & the need to have some way of increasing level, it's either quest, grind or time spent.

Structured levelling progression with some open pvp zones to look forward to at endgame will just have to do for me!

Soldato
Yeah, I haven't forgotten how grindy SWG could be at times. It's not the structure itself, but how obvious some games make it. You can literally go from 1 to max without much thought or effort in a lot of recent games. Too much hand holding is just patronising.

Throw in some DaoC frontiers, an SWG crafting system, DDO combat, and Rift's rewards for exploring off the beaten track, and I can deal with it. Just about :p

Edit - a decent class progression system does wonders for a game too. I can play through DDO's early dungeons over and over, because each class and mix of classes is so different. DaoC was the same, some cool mixes were possible.

TOR has me a bit worried in this regard, a lot of talk of skills that are just upgrades of previous attacks and the like.

Edit 2 - I'll still buy it, for the Spy class ship if nothing else. I want that virtual piece of sexiness :D

Last edited:
Associate
I got in to the game test took me 3 days to download the bloody thing lol crappy internet. Done 1-10 so far love it. Looks great sure can need more polish but that's what they're doing. Running it at 2560x1440 looks awesome.
only seen two bugs so far my voice disappeared and speeders just hanging in mid air on their routes.
But otherwise loving it so far

Man of Honour
Obe feature that i loved in Rift, I would love games to do this more. Really enjoy exploring and even if a game is point to point it makes things a little less grindy.

Galaxies was great for this. Every player had a profile that opened when you clicked on them and it told you what cool stuff they'd done/seen. He first time I saw "Has visited Ben Kenobi's old home" I nearly squealed with joy :o

It was cool seeing people that had visited loads of places and mastered tonnes of different professions, because all that time had been invested in that 1 character instead of levelling alts. Having an alt didn't even occur to me through my entire SWG time!

Back
Top Bottom