*****Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread*****

Soldato
Galaxies was great for this. Every player had a profile that opened when you clicked on them and it told you what cool stuff they'd done/seen. He first time I saw "Has visited Ben Kenobi's old home" I nearly squealed with joy :o

It was cool seeing people that had visited loads of places and mastered tonnes of different professions, because all that time had been invested in that 1 character instead of levelling alts. Having an alt didn't even occur to me through my entire SWG time!

Those were the days. Back when the only way of getting an alt character is by buying multiple copies and subscriptions of the game :D

Soldato
Datacrons

- They are NOT random. They are in pre-determined, fixed locations.

- Some of them take a ton of thought and gimmicks to get to. I tried to get one for 3 hours but couldn't. Think jump maps from counter strike lol

- They upped the stats from say a Wisdom + 1 to a minimum of +4

- On every planet, there is a datacron matrix shard. These shards can be combined with other shards and components to make things in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant or the equivalent on Dromund Kaas. I'm not aware of what these items are. Never got around to making one.

Sith Warrior / Juggernaut Talents

First I want to discuss the weapon upgrade in this game. Your first blue weapon you acquire at the end of your first planet will have 3 slots in this. Standard blue weapons after tend to have 4. You can keep that weapon and upgrade it until you get an epic weapon.

You can acquire new upgraded parts from each planet with special badges rewarded from quests, actual quest reward upgrade items, or drops, both badges and upgrade parts. Your weapon, be it a blaster or lightsaber or vibrosword has no base stats. When you install a new power crystal to your lightsaber, let’s say the power crystal has a minimum level requirement of 16, then the lightsaber will now have a minimum level requirement of 16, unless something else is installed at a higher level. Basically you can keep 1 lightsaber or rifle or pistols for a long time, and just upgrade it.

You can also make new items, crystals, power cells, etc. through professions. I will not discuss them because frankly, I think this is something that is best left a mystery because the system is truly, truly amazing.

I love this weapon upgrade profession revolutionary because it doesn’t pigeon hole you into using an ugly lightsaber or blaster rifle because you don’t want to. In other MMO games, you’d have an incredibly sexy looking sword, axe, hammer, gun, bow, whatever that you had to get rid of when you found something better. In this? Keep the same weapon and install those sexy new upgrades. I have not seen a purple lightsaber or blaster yet so I do not know what the difference is, if it gets a 5th slot or what.

The weapon and armor upgrades though do not seem to apply to your companions weapons, sadly.

Each planet has 2-3 stories on them. The first is your class story. You complete this, you are told what planet to go to next. These are where you get your companions, ships, etc. None of the quests are group quests and can be soloed. The next story is a planet story. This is something like “Smuggler problem” or “Bounty Hunters problem” or “Empire problem” or “Republic problem.” These quests can also be soloed, but while doing these you will get group quests that are not part of the main story. At the end of this, you tend to get a decent blue reward. Finally after you finish your class question on the planet, you do another quest story, a final one that ties in with the planet quest. Also soloable, this yields a decent reward.

Some more information for you guys.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because forcing people to group, causes problem. Ala WoW vanilla.

Heaven forbid you should reward people for playing together. That totally wouldn't suit all the people who either a) always want to do their own thing, b) have no time to play real MMOs, c) don't know how to deal with other players (except to PvP them).

Let's face it, the only thing you do in modern multi-player games is shoot people in the face. Portal 2 being the except to the rule.

Soldato
Heaven forbid you should reward people for playing together. That totally wouldn't suit all the people who either a) always want to do their own thing, b) have no time to play real MMOs, c) don't know how to deal with other players (except to PvP them).

Let's face it, the only thing you do in modern multi-player games is shoot people in the face. Portal 2 being the except to the rule.

Completely not true, the reason why not forcing people to group for content was favoured is quite simple. When people progress and hit max level and new players start, there are less and less people in the lower level areas, meaning you end up with a quest log full of quests you cant complete because no one will group. And many other things.

Also people like my self that enjoy questing on my own without the interference of other peoples lives.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its unfortunate that the increase in the number of retards, idiots and griefers over the years in MMOs has made you feel that way. Got to be honest, some of the best times I have ever had in an MMO were whilst grouped with strangers , chilling out, camping some mobs in Daoc. Different class of player back then though, before WoW + widespread cheap broadband made the genre more accessible to all and flooded the MMOs with the types of people you mention.

Soldato
Its unfortunate that the increase in the number of retards, idiots and griefers over the years in MMOs has made you feel that way. Got to be honest, some of the best times I have ever had in an MMO were whilst grouped with strangers , chilling out, camping some mobs in Daoc. Different class of player back then though, before WoW + widespread cheap broadband made the genre more accessible to all and flooded the MMOs with the types of people you mention.

I'm surprised you haven't commented on the crafting/mod system ;)

Soldato

One of the few good things FFXIV done.

More exp if you were in a group then solo questing, easy to implement and effective at getting groups and thus fostering a community spirit. But god forbid we would have one of those in todays single player MMO market.

Man of Honour
More exp if you were in a group then solo questing, easy to implement and effective at getting groups and thus fostering a community spirit.

Daoc did the same as that, you got a substantial xp bonus for being grouped, I think it was the last MMO that I've played where there were constantly people looking for groups just to fight mobs, not to do a raid or a dungeon, but just groups of people joining up just to fight. Was really nice to be able to just run along to a dungeon, run inside and wander around in the dungeon and find a group with a vacancy and join up with them for a bit. Really did expand the whole social aspect of the MMO, quite often the people you met in those groups made it onto your friends list and really did help to build an ingame community.

(on an unrelated note, which I've been reminded of by my mentioning running along into a dungeon and joining a group... I REALLY miss shared dungeons in MMOs, was awesome seeing lots of groups in a dungeon together (darned useful too when you wiped as you could get a healer from one of the other groups to run over and rez you :) )

Back
Top Bottom