1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*****Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread*****

Discussion in 'PCCG Archive' started by CaptainRAVE, Jun 15, 2010.

1. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

From the thread "Finally hit level 25, and here are my thoughts so far" -

2. XZiBIT

Gangster

Cheers for the updates CaptainRAVE :)

Hopefully they get a few of these things sorted before launch.

3. Redman

Wise Guy

Doesn't sound like a lot to sort, it has to be remembered this is his first character on a new game, where there's no player economy because it's beta.

He complains about lower level crafting items being hard to get, that means they have value, which means that is how a lower level player can make money from a higher level.

Likewise the cost of skills, this needs to be expensive on a first play through. The more cash you can drain out of the player via essentials such as this the better for the player run economy, otherwise prices explode.

Raid icons - doesn't matter, games managed without them before. And the LFG tab appears to be there, he just didn't know where. Raid UI, irrelevant, there'll be a preferred player-made UI very quickly.

Quests & flashpoints - ok he may have a point here, I haven't tried it so don't know but seems like a plan. Same with the advanced classes, at least seeing the skill tree would be wise.

Space combat - again I haven't played it so don't know, but sounds like it doesn't need to be made easier, it sounds like it's an issue because of lack of resources of the player on a first run through.

Us mmorpg'ers do like a moan though :D

4. Tombstone

Capodecina

Speaking of which, have they said yet whether LUA scripting will be available for custom UIs yet?

5. Redman

Wise Guy

A fair point, I haven't actually heard anything about custom UI's, I just assumed :)

6. Sleepery

Sgarrista

Bah, slow speeders! It's like there's some unwritten rule against letting players go above a certain speed in any mmo, which for some obscure reason always seems to be about 160% running speed.

7. ChrisJSY

Soldato

What's odd is their excuse for not using the bike/speeder shaped ones, "they take up too much room". Except they would be less wide for a bit more length, oh and there's no clipping.

Most of the community seem to want the bike shaped ones, they dislike the segway pap, maybe they'll save it for high level and/or future/rarer vehicles.
    It's just their excuse that gets me, they could've just said "this is our design for initial low level player controlled transport".

8. 'Wes

Capodecina

LoTRO have the option at various points in their epic storyline to do it on your own or with a fellowship, does TOR do anything similar?

9. Jokester

Don

Problem with high speed mounts is that the game engine can really struggle to keep up in terms of providing world data updates quick enough.

10. Apem

Mobster

Just wish this game would hurry up and come out been registered on the game site since 2008 and tbh wish I hadnt found out about this game so long ago, the lack of sith action is killing me lol :)

11. Muzza1875

Perma Banned

Is this game any good? I bought it for 2/3 pound during steam sales but not had chance to play it or the other 20 games i got!

12. 'Wes

Capodecina

Erm, this is The Old Republic, an MMO in development, you're on about KoTOR.

13. Talon

Wise Guy

ah! the days down the river in Salisbury Plain grouped up with randoms killing Undead and Faries, the if all went well moving into Druids on an evening (game evening).

The the higher level marsh adventures pulling Gobbo's and Tanglers on mass.....ah them was the days, please Mythic do an Origins server :(

14. Sleepery

Sgarrista

That sounded reasonable at first, until I remembered Planetside - rocketing over a base assault in a Mosquito on full afterburner, with hundreds of people battling it out beneath you.

If PS could do it half a decade ago, they can bloody well do it in SWTOR :p

15. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

I think this is a message from the future :p

Most of the "storyline" quests and other quests you can team up for (although I don't think you can always hand them in together). In most cases other players can just take the place of your companions. Team quest tracking is very well handled on the map too.

The Flashpoints have to be teamed and I don't think you can skip them.

I was watching the bounty hunter character progression video this morning and realised how much they must be holding the graphics engine back from us at the moment.

My concern at the moment is the enemy/item respawn rates - they will obviously increase it for release, but I hope they have a system where it is dynamic dependent on the population of the instance. At the moment, if travelling through a cave for example, I either find a cleared path (thus getting no XP) or have to fight my way through for ages. This will become a particular problem when people want to complete the bonus quests of kill/scan/do whatever to X number of people/items etc.

16. Vuvuzela

Wise Guy

Is there another website where we can read more reviews please?

I've looked on the official forums and can’t see anything unless I'm just looking in the wrong place?

17. Apem

Mobster

Still under NDA so very doubtful you will find anything out thats not on the offical site m8.

18. Muzza1875

Perma Banned

:o Facepalm

19. Xordium

Capodecina

http://betacake.blogspot.com/ - if this is the kind of thing you are after.

20. LateX'Dog

Soldato

So wrong! I've found out so much more information from the leaked beta, then all of bioware combined.