*****Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread*****

Associate
OMG, that sounds so rubbish man, that just defeats the whole object of being an mmo, surely...I played wow for 4 years and loved seeing all the other people in the major cities and also when out questing.

I think what you guys have just spoke about is the first bad thing I've heard about SWTOR, if they put that in the game that is a major blow...I really dont understand why they would do this? to reduce lag? but other mmo's have been able to have hundreds of people in one zone at a time with no lag so I dont see why SWTOR cant do the same.

Sweet jesus, I'm really worried for this game now.

EDIT: Also another good reason to have loads of people in one zone is sometimes I'd be in ogrimmar, major horde city in wow and alience would come raid us for pvp and we'd have huge epic battles...and sometimes on my warlock I'd like to kill myself with my own spells and everyone would heal me and try keep me alive...and also just the feel of seeing a city full of people and not feeling alone, feeling like you were part of something, people inspecting you and say "wow you look amazing...and you have amazing equipment!"....felt good!

EDIT2: And if you got loads of people in one zone you got more people to help you do group quest and find people for crafting and instances...theres probably a huge list of reasons why having more people is so good and beneficial.

just to add at present there isnt really a social hub in game. But what there talking about on the forums so if there was to be one there would be diffrent version so say your friend could be in a diffrent one but stood at the same bar.
Im hoping this is just for beta.

heres a link to it on the forums, that someone posted. Now all the fan boys will have there fan boys googles on and keep saying bioware said this and that.
but at the moment its not like that in game.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=366328

Soldato
Why would it be in for beta only though, when the player numbers are strictly limited and controlled?

Come release they'll have hundreds of times the amount of people online, it'll be worse if anything.

The list of stuff that I don't like but I'm trying to ignore is growing worrying long at this stage :(

Soldato
Just saw that thread, devs said themselves 85% of the non starter worlds are open and not instanced, the rest being dungeons/personal story(which you can brings friends to) etc.

Phew.

I'm not sure they mean quite the same thing. You can have an area instanced for your or your party within an open world, which is itself split between half a dozen instances. DDO does that at the moment.

Associate
Just saw that thread, devs said themselves 85% of the non starter worlds are open and not instanced, the rest being dungeons/personal story(which you can brings friends to) etc.

Phew.

sorry thats bull in the game the way it is now its nothing like that.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure they mean quite the same thing. You can have an area instanced for your or your party within an open world, which is itself split between half a dozen instances. DDO does that at the moment.

Well the dev quote I saw didnt actually mention instancing..it said " 85% of the non starter worlds are open and not phased" , phasing and instancing not being identical things.

Associate
during the development process planets in Star Wars The Old Republic are instanced. but they can not confirm if this will happen when it comes out to buy.

Last edited:
Associate
Why would it be in for beta only though, when the player numbers are strictly limited and controlled?

Come release they'll have hundreds of times the amount of people online, it'll be worse if anything.

The list of stuff that I don't like but I'm trying to ignore is growing worrying long at this stage :(

That supposes that all instances are running exactly the same code. It could actually be a clever way of getting data for specific network traffic etc.. Although that would be way too much forethought for your average mmorpg company.

Whilst the instance thingy is definitely not good, it wouldn't be a killer for me at first. At least not until endgame pvp where it completely ruins the whole point, and would mean I wasn't likely to hang around. I would imagine they know this, so hopefully it's just for the testing/gameplay phase.

Soldato
I read the forum post linked above = http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=366328&page=3 aswell as the comments in this thread, I think a lot of people are getting confused by different words used...

But this is quite simple, if SWTOR is made up of a galaxy with 20 different planets, and each planet has 10 zones/areas to walk around/kill/quest...and each galaxy is one server...we just want to be able to see everyone in those zones/areas on each planet on each server...

So it would be like this:

Server 1 - Galaxy 1 - Population 6000 people - (everyone on this server can see the other 6000 people throughout the different zones on each planet...nobody is split up and nobody is on a different version of the zone/area on each planet)

Server 2 - Galaxy 2 - Population 5600 people - (everyone on this server can see the other 5600 people throughout the different zones on each planet...nobody is split up and nobody is on a different version of the zone/area on each planet)

etc etc

Thats basically how it was on wow and other mmo's, and thats how I'm sure 99% of us want this game to be too.

I think because people are using these three words (instances/shards/channels)...people are getting mixed up...but I dont want any of this nonsense, If I am in a capital city I want to see hundreds of people walking about, I want to see my friends and bump into people I know, I want the world to feel alive with a great atmosphere and feel real and populated, I dont want to not see my friend because hes on a different channel/shard/instance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I read the forum post linked above = http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=366328&page=3 aswell as the comments in this thread, I think a lot of people are getting confused by different words used...

But this is quite simple, if SWTOR is made up of a galaxy with 20 different planets, and each planet has 10 zones/areas to walk around/kill/quest...and each galaxy is one server...we just want to be able to see everyone in those zones/areas on each planet on each server...

So it would be like this

Server 1 - Galaxy 1 - Population 6000 people - (everyone on this server can see the other 6000 people throughout the different zones on each planet...nobody is split up and body is on a different version of the zone/area on each planet)
Server 2 - Galaxy 2 - Population 5600 people - (everyone on this server can see the other 6000 people throughout the different zones on each planet...nobody is split up and body is on a different version of the zone/area on each planet)

etc etc

Thats basically how it was on wow and other mmo's, and thats how I'm sure 99% of us want this game to be too.

This is what I expect too. The problem at the moment is that we all seem to be on a very small, low powered server (there aren't all that many of us). So this could well just be a temporary thing.

Man of Honour
This is what I expect too. The problem at the moment is that we all seem to be on a very small, low powered server (there aren't all that many of us). So this could well just be a temporary thing.

Hopefully so, hoping its just something they are doing for beta and it wont make it into release because as someone who enjoys PvP, as was mentioned above its pretty sucky for world pvp when people are in different instances or can just avoid the pvp by hoping to another instance.

Associate
That's a serious issue if it's going to be put in the full release. I can envisage many situations where you get "Player Y whispers: I'm by the mail box", "Player X replies: No, I'm by the mailbox and you aren't there".

Associate
That's a serious issue if it's going to be put in the full release. I can envisage many situations where you get "Player Y whispers: I'm by the mail box", "Player X replies: No, I'm by the mailbox and you aren't there".

i had it by the auction house :p so already happened lol

Associate
here you go this was a reply posted on a forum my friend is on. about this matter

------------------------------------------Incoming transmission------------------------------------

Greetings Humanoid,

I am Protocol Droid , Human-Cyborg relations.

I have received your transmission regarding planets being instanced in Star Wars™ - The Old Republic™.

Thank you for your query. During the development process planets in Star Wars™ - The Old Republic™ are instanced. However, if you join a group with your friend you should be able to see each other when you are in the same area as you should be moved into the same instance.

Please understand that we are still in the development process and we cannot confirm whether this will be the case when the game officially launches.

Should you need further assistance with this matter, please do not hesitate to let me know. Galactic support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid

SWTOR Customer Service

------------------------------------Transmission Ended------------------------------------

Soldato
When playing SWTOR do you guys know how the advanced classes work, like do you have to get to level 10 or something and then you choose an advanced class?

Because I was looking at sith warrior on website and you can choose to be either Juggernaut or Marauder at some point. I think juggernaut is the path of the tank and marauder is the path of a dps warrior.

I wish they would put the class skills and talent trees up on the website, the information on the "classes" section is more like just an overview/summary.

EDIT: regarding a release date for TOR, how long in advance do we usually hear about an mmo release date? Like if it was going to come out this December, would we know by say september? is there usually a set number of months we find out about release date before it comes out? Because surely it cant be announed like one month prior because they wouldn't get as many pre-orders, so what do you think?

Does anybody remember how many months a release date came before the actual release of a game for any previous mmo's?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom