*****Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread*****

Soldato
The more I see it the more I like it. Looking like Star Wars but keeping one eye on other successful games out there. Makes sense to include some familiar terms of reference to ease in the new players...

Soldato
I read somewhere recently that one of the first quests you're given as a new Jedi is "go to the nearby village and kill five flesh raiders".

A little part of me died inside. They might as well have used 'boars' instead of 'flesh raiders' and be done with it :(

Man of Honour
OP
I read somewhere recently that one of the first quests you're given as a new Jedi is "go to the nearby village and kill five flesh raiders".

A little part of me died inside. They might as well have used 'boars' instead of 'flesh raiders' and be done with it :(

If that is the case, then epic fail.

Man of Honour
Quick question, why would you want to be a trooper? :p

Jedi/Sith all the way.

I'm going to sound offensive here but I don't mean to be at all.

It's the demand made by people like you that I fear will cause this game to suck. Why are they even including Jedi from the start? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, unless you're hideously underpowered for a considerable amount of time/grind.

I love the Star Wars universe. The Star Wars universe is not filled with force sensitive superheroes, and because of this I don't think it should be a choice from the start. It's either that, or they make the Jedi/Sith classes really weak, which is equally nonsensical. The force is supposed to be something mystical and amazing, giving those powers to any kid who wants a laser sword makes baby Jesus cry. It's just, utterly, totally, completely, entirely wrong.

I miss you SWG :(

Man of Honour
OP
It's the demand made by people like you that I fear will cause this game to suck. Why are they even including Jedi from the start? It makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever, unless you're hideously underpowered for a considerable amount of time/grind.

Welcome to your typical MMO where every person is the "superhero/superpowerful/superwhatever" and thus no one is.

I agree with you though. I find it offensive that the other classes will be as powerful as the jedi/sith.

Associate
From what I've seen in a couple of videos it seems the Jedi are going to be a tank class more than anything.

Nah they have DPS and tanking specs, they are not forcing jedi into tanking.

Same as trooper they have tank and dps spec. (Will be weird having a ranged tank huh lol)

Anyway i cant wait for release, one of the only games im excited for this year, hope its going to be worth the very long wait iv had.

Soldato
Welcome to your typical MMO where every person is the "superhero/superpowerful/superwhatever" and thus no one is.

I agree with you though. I find it offensive that the other classes will be as powerful as the jedi/sith.

Read around a bit. At this time there are lots of Jedi, for a start no-one has tried to kill them all! Besides which the none force sensitive characters you play are supposed to be the best of the best. The other popular misconception is not all Jedi are superheros and never lose like Episodes IV-VI. As there are a large number of them some will be weaker or unluckier then them;)

As so rightly observed no-one is a superhero, they don't exist, well only in Hollywood. By definition they are out of the ordinary and so in a game with lots of people playing it how could you all be the special one:D

The trouble with online games lots of people expect it to match their vision of the universe rather than just playing what the developers have produced.

Safe to say it should be fun to play and if not there will always be the next one...

Soldato
From what I've seen in a couple of videos it seems the Jedi are going to be a tank class more than anything.

Check this out might clarify things a little:

http://www.swtor.com/info/systems/advanced-classes

Most classes can play most styles with the aid of customised skills and your companion character(s). If you like ranged choose a tanking companion if you like tanking choose a ranged companion.There are many other combinations:cool:

Man of Honour
The trouble with online games lots of people expect it to match their vision of the universe rather than just playing what the developers have produced.

But it's a Star Wars game. I'm sure I'll speak for many when I say that don't really care much for the extended universe, I know Star Wars through the movies. Is it unreasonable to expect a Star Wars game to resemble what most people think of as Star Wars? This seems like they've taken the name, and the main themes of the world and have created an entirely new IP. It looks very much like a more fitting name would be Clone Wars Online!

Associate
But it's a Star Wars game. I'm sure I'll speak for many when I say that don't really care much for the extended universe, I know Star Wars through the movies. Is it unreasonable to expect a Star Wars game to resemble what most people think of as Star Wars? This seems like they've taken the name, and the main themes of the world and have created an entirely new IP. It looks very much like a more fitting name would be Clone Wars Online!

Any real starwars fans would have read the many many books, the starwars universe is a lot different to the movies.

Like any story it can change and be added too, Starwars has only become more amazing from when the movies were first released if you read up on some of it you might grow to love it as much as a lot of others do ;)

Soldato

I think the original story has been done to death something new seems like a better option. As for the IP it's all approved by Lucasarts so it is Star Wars;) I knew nothing at all about the EU but reading around over the last 18months or so and picking stuff up from Darth Hater site its a pretty good story. Worth checking out the Timelines here: http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/timeline

Voiced by Lance Henriksen of Aliens fame:cool:

Back
Top Bottom