• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Official THIEF-Incorporating AMD™ Mantle™/True Audio™/Bench mark Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I see your point in fairness. Thief was touted to have Mantle/True Audio support from day 1 and a few days prior to release, they come out with this. If it was just Mantle missing, I would say get on with it but lots of people have been looking forward to True Audio (I know I would if I had a 290/X) and to let the customers down right at the last is a little disappointing.

I am sure they will have it sorted and hopefully not like BF4, where you can play for 30 seconds a week on 14.1 drivers (I might have exagerated a little :D).

In all fairness to amd I not had any problems with 14.1 and Mantle since Dice patched the game. So that leaves me believing that 14.1 is working as Amd said it would, it was the game itself.

Thief I must admit Gutted about it not being there on release. But I can easy wait to play it couple weeks not fussed about it.

Soldato
I was pretty much expecting this with the BF4 issues. Thank god I got off the mantle hype train when the 290x released.

Read above - The Mantle issue's with BF4 from my system point of view was not the 14.1 drivers and more Dice's fail at patching the game. Since the latest patch, my system is working superb under Mantle and BF4.
So all the Blame on AMD releasing bad Drivers wasn't there fault, but Dice. :p

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493838365687/

NOTES
Mantle
-Fix for a crash that would occur when activating full screen in portrait mode
-Fix for stuttering that could appear during video sequences on multi-GPU PCs
-Fix for a memory system leak that could cause stalls, which would result in frames taking longer to process
-Reduced the amount of stalls that occurred when running with high graphics setting that require more GPU memory than is currently available
-Fixed screenshots on multi-GPU PCs

Soldato
I must say this news that it won't ship with Mantle is very frustrating:mad:

With Battlefield 4 it was touted as an "Add-on" and so i expected a few issues with it and having to wait a little long wasn't a problem, even the issue i did have though for the most part have been fixed since the latest patch.

but with Thief i was under the impression that Mantle was a Core feature of the game, something that it was always meant to use and was developed on along side DX, the same goes for True-Audio, i've even seen the Vids where developers speak about how True-Audio is a Core feature..

Let these two core features have been taken away days before release..

Extremely disappointing, i feel if AMD don't pull their fingers out Mantle is doomed, regardless of if it works or not.

Soldato
How so? Did you get a 780 Ti? :D

Nope, went back to my 7970 which is plenty at 1080p. I bought the 290x because I was hyped about mantle as they gave the impression it would be ready with the 290x release. After seeing it wasn't and being underwhelmed by the 290x I simply returned it. I guess the logical side of my brain kicked in and realised I was spending way too much money for something I didn't need.

Read above - The Mantle issue's with BF4 from my system point of view was not the 14.1 drivers and more Dice's fail at patching the game. Since the latest patch, my system is working superb under Mantle and BF4.
So all the Blame on AMD releasing bad Drivers wasn't there fault, but Dice. :p

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150493838365687/

NOTES
Mantle
-Fix for a crash that would occur when activating full screen in portrait mode
-Fix for stuttering that could appear during video sequences on multi-GPU PCs
-Fix for a memory system leak that could cause stalls, which would result in frames taking longer to process
-Reduced the amount of stalls that occurred when running with high graphics setting that require more GPU memory than is currently available
-Fixed screenshots on multi-GPU PCs

I didn't blame AMD specifically. My issue was that we had to wait as long as we have considering it was such a big selling point. The fiasco with BF4 was bad enough but now thief is patching it in too?
I've just lost interest in it. If thief ends up having issues like BF4 then will this trend continue with every game which supports mantle?

Again I'm not saying it is AMDs fault specifically, I don't have enough information on what is going on behind the scenes. I guess I expected something closer to a final product with all the hype floating about.

edit: The other point about BF4, they are obviously spending a lot of time on fixing said issues with mantle and so are neglecting issues with the game itself. I think the ball was dropped down a deep dark hole here.

Last edited:
Associate
checkout the reviews. They are all out now. it's getting 6/10s everywhere. It is widely regarded as average and clunky, with interesting bits that keep it afloat, with glitchy AI.

I got this game for free with AMD rewards so no complaining here, but without trueaudio I have no interest now :/ I didn't care how bad the game was, I wanted to have the experience with Trueaudio to see just how much it adds to gaming. That's the whole reason I've stayed with AMD.

And to think, I was about to pick up some Razer Tiamat 7.1's

Soldato
checkout the reviews. They are all out now. it's getting 6/10s everywhere. It is widely regarded as average and clunky, with interesting bits that keep it afloat, with glitchy AI.

I got this game for free with AMD rewards so no complaining here, but without trueaudio I have no interest now :/ I didn't care how bad the game was, I wanted to have the experience with Trueaudio to see just how much it adds to gaming. That's the whole reason I've stayed with AMD.

And to think, I was about to pick up some Razer Tiamat 7.1's

People still base there buys on Reviews? Tell you what if I did I would have missed out on some cracking games over the years.
Shadow Warrior being one top of my head.

Must always remember a Review from someone like IGN is one person option. Not the honest truth about anything.
For a more wide spread honest option about a game Metacritic is probably the best site so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/thief

Associate
People still base there buys on Reviews? Tell you what if I did I would have missed out on some cracking games over the years.
Shadow Warrior being one top of my head.

Must always remember a Review from someone like IGN is one person option. Not the honest truth about anything.
For a more wide spread honest option about a game Metacritic is probably the best site so far.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/thief

I know. I was just saying... I usually buy games based off friends responses to them, but I still look at reviews from all over.

Metacritic has it as an average game right now too. Nothing that jumps out as being worthy of a preorder.

Don
I know. I was just saying... I usually buy games based off friends responses to them, but I still look at reviews from all over.

Metacritic has it as an average game right now too. Nothing that jumps out as being worthy of a preorder.

If as a majority the reviews say it is average then it is indeed average, It does not mean that as an individual you will not enjoy it :)

That's my take anyway

Associate
I do concur sir. I am still going in with an open mind, but a somewhat heavy heart with news of the AMD tech being delayed...

Does anyone know if this is Thief or AMD's fault? Because the 14.1 drivers are pretty bad, they decreased my performance majorly across nearly all my games. I had to go back down in drivers. This leads me to believe that a fully functional, non-Beta AMD mantle-enabled driver is what is taking a while.

Soldato
So I unlocked the game early using a japanese vpn. No gameplay comments as I have literally played 2 mins but I am astounded that an AMD gaming evolved title has such poor crossfire implementation. These are benchmark results:

1080p Maximum possible settings

Single 290x: Avg fps 65.8

Dual 290x: Avg fps 71.8

Trifire 290x Avg fps 66.5

The best run was in fact the single card as the delta between minimums and max were a lot smaller (between 55 and 75) whereas the crossfire results were as low as 25 up to 125.

Anyway can only hope AMD release some new drivers or a patch is released. Will play on a single card now until this is sorted as it's a stuttery mess for me in crossfire.

Caporegime
So I unlocked the game early using a japanese vpn. No gameplay comments as I have literally played 2 mins but I am astounded that an AMD gaming evolved title has such poor crossfire implementation. These are benchmark results:

1080p Maximum possible settings

Single 290x: Avg fps 65.8

Dual 290x: Avg fps 71.8

Trifire 290x Avg fps 66.5

The best run was in fact the single card as the delta between minimums and max were a lot smaller (between 55 and 75) whereas the crossfire results were as low as 25 up to 125.

Anyway can only hope AMD release some new drivers or a patch is released. Will play on a single card now until this is sorted as it's a stuttery mess for me in crossfire.

What drivers? I expect AMD will release a driver either tonight or tomorrow as the game is not released yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom