*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Do you have an ERLite-3 by chance?

I'm on Sure 1Gbit using an ErLite 3.

Get pretty much wirespeed up/down on speed test (940/940)

Need to make sure you've got the Hardware offloading enabled and ensure you don't bridge eth1 with eth2. Bridging the ports like this is done via software and has a performance impact. Better to disable eth2 and expand the network out via a switch on eth1.

I wasn't sure if the ErLite 3 would even manage Gbit at wirespeed but it does. Download from various sources at 95+ MB/ sec.... Quite humerous to watch.

Associate
I'm on Sure 1Gbit using an ErLite 3.

Get pretty much wirespeed up/down on speed test (940/940)

Need to make sure you've got the Hardware offloading enabled and ensure you don't bridge eth1 with eth2. Bridging the ports like this is done via software and has a performance impact. Better to disable eth2 and expand the network out via a switch on eth1.

I wasn't sure if the ErLite 3 would even manage Gbit at wirespeed but it does. Download from various sources at 95+ MB/ sec.... Quite humerous to watch.

It wasn't a config issue my end, it "mysteriously fixed itself" after I called them.

Soldato
This is a good test... What do you get in MB/s when you download a 10 Gio file (10GB) file from this site...

http://proof.ovh.net/files/

I tend to wait until very near the end of the download to get an average speed.

sure_1gbit_ErLite3.PNG

Fluctuates between 95 and 101MB/Second. Storage medium is probably the limiting factor more than the connection when it comes to holding 100MB/Sec. Drops a little with high disk activity then recovers. Probably would be more stable downloading to my SSD.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a 16 port 1 Gbit one, fans are off most of the time, but when on I can't hear them from the room they're in. Are the 10 Gbit ones similar?

No. The US-16-150W is extremely quiet. The US-16-XG is like vacuum cleaner. Mine are modified with the voltage reducing cables from Noctua fans and they’re not too bad. Still louder than you’d like, but not like vacuum cleaners anymore.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Can someone hit me around the head and help me? In my old flat, I had a very basic setup, openreach modem > edgerouter lite with my unifi ap ac lite. This worked flawlessly and got great speeds.

When I moved last year, I ditched all my gear and went with VM on the 200Mbps service with a superhub and all was fine. This year, I've just switched to 350Mbps but get dire wifi speeds (max 80Mbps in the same room, 400Mbps wired) so a while back I set all my gear back up as knew this would resolve it (got a USG, US-8-60w and AP lite powered by the 8-60w).

Bizarrely, I'm getting the same speeds. I moved the AP to the other end of the house and ran a cable to ensure there was no interference or anything and it's still the same.

Any tips on what I should do? I've tried it on a few devices (pixel2 XL, same crippled speeds, my work laptop etc). The thing I've noticed is, even on 5ghz all my devices 'link speed' is no more than 170Mbs so it's no wonder I'm not getting good speeds.

I'm just at work now and my laptop is (in network prefs) showing it's connected to the AP at 520Mbps and with a connection which is 200/200 I'm seeing 190Mbps on speedtests.

Simple change, should I change the channel width on 5ghz? I've read that may help but 2.4ghz is likely to be that low anyway so forget about it.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
@DIABLO good question. I did try that and bizarrely every single channel was showing as highly utilised (doubtful as these Victorian houses have brick so thick my own WiFi barely travels let alone my neighbours) so I just did it again, selected another channel (36, VHT80) and now seeing a link speed of 866, so much better than the 170.

Speed tests more like 150-180 now which is better. Not quite the same as wired but more than sufficient I guess.

Associate
I would try the WiFiAnalyser (BETA version) from the play atore on the Pixel phone. It should give you an idea of what APs are in you local area. It has a channel graph so you can see where you might find somes clear airspace but be sure to look at the 5ghz channels and those in the 36-64 range . A 40Mhz range should give you adequate speed and will be easier to find clear space than the 80Mhz range you are using.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
The sad truth is that despite what many people think, there isn’t a myriad of hackers probing the defences of domestic internet users. There’s no money or glory in it. It’s far easier to take over your machine by getting you to do something stupid like respond to a phishing e-mail.

Either that or you’re under surveillance by the security services and they’re already ‘protecting’ your IP address. Y looking at all your incoming traffic before your USG and Suricata ever get a chance to look at it.

Soldato
Seems i have a Java issue which is proving a pain too fix.

Edit - Just a heads up guys for anyone running the controller on a RaspberryPi the newest version of Java 8 that will install from apt-get (1.8.0_65) will mean that IPS/IDS will not work (a token does not get created and pushed to the USG from the controller because of an error). You have change the default repository to get a newer version.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/Where-do-i-find-IPS-logs/td-p/2319232 - The Ubiquiti employee has the answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my 8/60 switch, usg and ap lite all set up today.
Super simple so far, surprised just how little configuration I had to do to swap it all over especially with my server handling dhcp and dns. Loving the dashboard.
Thought I might have needed 2 ap's, but the one on the kitchen wall serves the entire house really well.

So much better than HH6 , the difference is basically night and day.
gonna figure out vpn next week I think.

Soldato
Got my 8/60 switch, usg and ap lite all set up today.
Super simple so far, surprised just how little configuration I had to do to swap it all over especially with my server handling dhcp and dns. Loving the dashboard.
Thought I might have needed 2 ap's, but the one on the kitchen wall serves the entire house really well.

So much better than HH6 , the difference is basically night and day.
gonna figure out vpn next week I think.

5.9 changes the Dashboard quite a bit. The bottom half you can choose what to display from a range of different widgets.
Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom