1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by RoyMi6, Apr 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Type_R

Soldato

I was referring to someone trying to sell it to me a few months ago when I was undecided ;)

My experience of Unifi has been excellent...for my humble home network my APs are reliable, the controller on the Raspberry Pi is superb and I have no issues whatsoever :)

2. Caged

Capodecina

Eh it's not really SDN either - it's a config management service that configures a router-on-stick device and provides an overview of what devices are located where on a network, and how those devices interlink. You can't just tell it you want to make a pseudowire between two devices on separate switches and have the platform build that for you, and if you lose the single device doing the routing then everything just sits there until it comes back. It will be interesting to see how they implement L3 on the new UniFi switches but I imagine that will be several years away.

It's very good value for money, and it's a billion times better than your average SMB kit or overpriced flashy home router, but SDN is the marketing department talking.

I can't comment on their APs really as I just borrow Aruba ones from work.

3. Mark M

Mobster

What are my options for a AP that I can wall mount? I have a AC Pro on the ground floor but the first floor is open ceilings so needs to be mounted on a beam or a wall ideally. Thanks

4. LizardKing

Sgarrista

AP-AC-Pro's, normally a bug or 2 wouldn't be an issue but when its causing sporadic outages to end users it gets annoying very quickly

It would mean rolling back the controller as well as the last working firmware was < 3.* irc which doesnt register with the newer controller versions?. There was also another bug that prompted the upgrade, lesser one but still bad!. If there was signs the company was making progress i may be tempted to hang on but this looks less and less likely these days.

I get the impression they were hoping for someone to buy them out ALA Meraki / cisco and didnt really envisage long term accountability.

5. pcfarrar

Hitman

Just get a Nano HD, they all work fine wall mounted.

6. WJA96

Capodecina

If you can, mount it on the ceiling, even if it's REALLY high up. You'll probably get amazing coverage as well.

If you can't and have to wall-mount, mount it as high up as possible as that will maximise the area in the arc of the transmitter.

7. WJA96

Capodecina

I'm running 4.0.21.9965 with 5.10.20 and 5.10.23 across a variety of sites and access points and they're rock solid. 4.0.42 is a cluster-flock of epic proportions and I would suggest rolling back to 4.0.21.xxxx as a first step.

As for being bought out - Robert Pera has publically stated repeatedly that he has no intentions of selling. He says that he feels about Ubiquiti the way Steve Jobs felt about Apple (and bear in mind that the two worked together at Apple) so I'm not sure why you think they're not in it for the long-haul.

I do think that they have put their trust in Chris Buechler and that he's yet to show anything like the product he produced with Netgate/pfSense. If I blame anyone fo rthe current state of affairs - it's Chris Buechler. He seems to be the one at the heart of everything on the Unifi and EdgeMax product lines.

8. Type_R

Soldato

How does one get hold of 5.10.20 or 5.10.23?

9. WJA96

Capodecina

10. Type_R

Soldato

11. WJA96

Capodecina

Yes, so roll back your controller to 5.10.20 or 5.10.23 and the firmware to 4.0.21 and that should give you stability back.

12. pcfarrar

Hitman

What's wrong with 4.0.42 ? It's working fine at all our sites, not experienced any problems or any users reporting issues.

13. WJA96

Capodecina

Dropped packets everywhere.

Are you not seeing alerts in the controller?

UBNT staff have described it as a cosmetic issue but the throughputs are down vs. 4.0.21 so we switched back to 4.0.21.

14. Type_R

Soldato

I don't seem to have any stability issues on my network using the latest firmware?

15. ChrisD.

Capodecina

There's a new controller firmware out.

16. WJA96

Capodecina

Sorry - I got you and @LizardKing confused.

17. iMacMart

Capodecina

Gents

Has anyone ever moved the controller from a Macbook (Air) to an iPad app?

Would I have to go through the whole process from scratch

Thanks

18. WJA96

Capodecina

Transferring a controller is as simple as backing it up and importing/loading it into the new site you create. I've just moved a whole bunch of controllers from Gen 1 Cloud Keys to Gen 2 Cloud Key Plus and it was literally as simple as moving the SD card across and loading the backup file.

The iPad app isn't a true controller as far as I understand it. It's a tool for monitoring and controlling and you can configure the devices directly from the app but it doesn't work like the controller unless you are running the controller elsewhere.

19. iMacMart

Capodecina

OK will see how the transfer goes, and yes I gather the app isn't the full suite but I'm not too worried just like to check updates and the systems has been stable for 6 months plus

Which is more than I can say for my shocking SkyQ Wifi :(

20. WJA96

Capodecina

How do you log into the controller from the app now?