*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I am using at the moment for an install Unifi 500w 48port POE Switch, 2 x UniFi AP-AC-LR 1 ToughSwitch and 2 nanobeams + an Unifi USG .
Only issue i have noticed with Unifi is when using the cloud to configure your Vlans that they cross talk to each other, regardless of what Subnet you use on the Access Points. I am currently testing out setting each Vlan as a guest network and using the access and restric section of the Portal etc to work this out. Or i need to use Cli and i dont want to be doing that each time a new firmwire comes out.

Associate
Great stuff! I've just come across some negative comments on this feature, but it seems to be from some of the more enterprise users and I didn't fully understand their gripes but as long as it works in a home environment I'll be happy!

Associate
Why do you have 3 at home? You must live in a mansion :) I'll add more if I find dead spots.. I must find some dead spots to justify buying more!!! :) Will purposely place it in one corner of my house to create the need lol.

In other news... wooohoooooo - security gateway concern OVER! I just scored a Soekris net6501 from a friend for free. Will run pfsense on it. Boom!

Soldato
Why do you have 3 at home? You must live in a mansion :) I'll add more if I find dead spots.. I must find some dead spots to justify buying more!!! :) Will purposely place it in one corner of my house to create the need lol.

In other news... wooohoooooo - security gateway concern OVER! I just scored a Soekris net6501 from a friend for free. Will run pfsense on it. Boom!

1 in the attic covering most of the house. 1 downstairs pointing towards the room the attic one doesn't give brilliant coverage to (toilet) and 1 down the garden in my mancave (see sig)

Soldato
Love your garden project. So you run an Ethernet cable across your garden? Any special cabling used to do that? Is it buried in the ground?

3 external cat5 runs in a conduit within a bigger conduit and all buried. Really as it goes to ground it should be armoured but I know where it is and don't intend on digging there.

If it ever gets re-run it'll be fibre.

Associate
where are you ordering the kit from?

Might be best just to Google it...

See forum rules:
We, Overclockers UK (OcUK) are happy to provide the resources of these forums to responsible individuals without charge. They cost a substantial amount of money to maintain and use considerable amounts of bandwidth which is paid for exclusively by us. As you know OcUK are in the computer hardware business and therefore the promotion of OcUK's competitors is forbidden.

Associate
My AP arrived - and just works. So simple. Lovely controller UI. I can see I will have to buy more :) Quality equipment for sure.

Just waiting for usb null modem and 30x30mm fan to arrive for the soekris so i can get pfsense set up.

Soldato
I often use Bria on my iPhone when working from home and I don't remember noticing any drops when it was handing over from one AP to another. Perhaps a second of dropped audio but definitely no dropped calls.

Associate
Anyone used these with a wifi phone? is the handover between ap's good with voip/sip?

Same, I've got 3 APs setup across the house, and I can walk all round the house and the change is seamless on any device.

Another useful thing with regards to the software is that I've recently setup a RaspberryPi to be the UniFi controller, as it's easier than having it installed on a PC/Server as my version (4.8) required a user to be logged on, so in the end I changed to a Pi setup. Works very well with no loss of features, the web interface is nice and fast, and just works. There's plenty of guides around online if anyone wants to do this.

Last edited:
Associate
Quote of mine from the other UniFi thread...

Another useful thing with regards to the software is that I've recently setup a RaspberryPi to be the UniFi controller, as it's easier than having it installed on a PC/Server as my version (4.8) required a user to be logged on, so in the end I changed to a Pi setup. Works very well with no loss of features, the web interface is nice and fast, and just works. There's plenty of guides around online if anyone wants to do this.

Associate
I managed to find a link to an image on a forum which went nicely onto an SD card and just worked. Sadly I can't remember the forum/site it was from.

From what I remember of the thread it took some work to get it to work correctly with Raspbian Jessie. Performance is really great too, initially I did think moving over to the Pi would impact the performance of the UniFi controller site, but I acknowledged that as a compromise, but later found it was fine.

Edit; just found a link to a site with an image running version 3.2.7 - HERE
Further confirmation is on the post above it that it runs with version 4.6, and somewhere on the internet I found an image of version 4.8

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Really?

We have around 20 of them at work (mostly in a warehouse environment, for handheld barcode scanners), and they are faultless - no issues withe the zero hand off roaming.

Similar setup at work and it is doing my head in - works flawlessly for a couple of months and then the whole system needs rebooting or hand off roaming goes to **** until some event forces a restart like a power cut - but the tech people come in and wander around with signal strength monitors, shuffle a few APs around, etc. and I can't get through their heads that it simply needs to be turned off and on again periodically and it is nothing to do with signal propagation :| think a firmware update at some point has produced the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom