*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Similar setup at work and it is doing my head in - works flawlessly for a couple of months and then the whole system needs rebooting or hand off roaming goes to **** until some event forces a restart like a power cut - but the tech people come in and wander around with signal strength monitors, shuffle a few APs around, etc. and I can't get through their heads that it simply needs to be turned off and on again periodically and it is nothing to do with signal propagation :| think a firmware update at some point has produced the problem.
I suspect this is a known issue and they've identified the issue and are in the process of producing the fix -- it took them a long time to identify the cause. Only happens with 5GHz if I remember correctly. Check out the UBNT forums.

Associate
Of course you won't be doing ZHO if you have any AC units. Over two years now and it's not there. They did eventually remove it from the features page though... but not for a long time.

I think in the UK Ubiquiti would get dangerously close to mis-selling regulations.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Of course you won't be doing ZHO if you have any AC units. Over two years now and it's not there. They did eventually remove it from the features page though... but not for a long time.

I think in the UK Ubiquiti would get dangerously close to mis-selling regulations.
Just to clarify: you are referring to the discontinued Gen1 AC access points. The 2nd generation are absolutely fantastic.

Associate
Hi guys didnt wanna start a new thread for this so thought Id ask in here.
Looking at the UAP-AC-LR. Would 1 of these be enough to cover my entire house and garden. Its a fairly standard 3/4 bed 2 storey 1920s house decently thick walls. I would hazard a guess at 25 meters from my front door to end of my garden. I dont really have the cash to pay out for 2 of these and my router isnt up to the task.

Edit:It would be placed quite centrally upstairs probably on ceiling.

Don
Similar setup at work and it is doing my head in - works flawlessly for a couple of months and then the whole system needs rebooting or hand off roaming goes to **** until some event forces a restart like a power cut - but the tech people come in and wander around with signal strength monitors, shuffle a few APs around, etc. and I can't get through their heads that it simply needs to be turned off and on again periodically and it is nothing to do with signal propagation :| think a firmware update at some point has produced the problem.

Just to clarify: you are referring to the discontinued Gen1 AC access points. The 2nd generation are absolutely fantastic.

I suspect this is a known issue and they've identified the issue and are in the process of producing the fix -- it took them a long time to identify the cause. Only happens with 5GHz if I remember correctly. Check out the UBNT forums.

We have the original UAP AP Pro's (i.e. the 802.11n models), and have just started mixing in some of the new UAP AP AC Pro's. Not had any issues with roaming between them. Can't remember off the top of my head whether we are actually using the 5Ghz band though, as most of our handhelds are older Symbol/Motorola/Zebra or whatever they are called these days, industrial units and are probably still 802.11b or 802.11n at best anyways.

Soldato
Looking at the UAP-AC-LR. Would 1 of these be enough to cover my entire house and garden. Its a fairly standard 3/4 bed 2 storey 1920s house decently thick walls. I would hazard a guess at 25 meters from my front door to end of my garden. I dont really have the cash to pay out for 2 of these and my router isnt up to the task.

A bit hard to say. Coverage should already be better than most routers anyway.

And if it doesn't cover everywhere, you could always enable the router's wifi and have it on one end of the house, and place the LR on the other side, that way you'll have two APs.

Soldato

We use these and other Ubiquiti for many of our clients with our largest being a 300 room hotel.

That AP is the same one we use in our office building which is about 30mX40m. We get good coverage inside the building and around the large car park.

We used to use the even cheap AP which was also fine.

Associate

I do mean the old ones yes, sold with a feature that was never implemented. In reference to other posts, zero hand off is not the same as roaming, but I just point it out because Ubiquiti have difficulty focusing on a product and fixing things once it's released, preferring to move onto the next version and new shiny thing.

The new ACs launched with 3 major features listed that weren't actually available! Although I think 2 of 3 are now there.

RMAs can be slow too, I've only had to return one of the latest batch of UAPs but the turnaround was almost 3 months.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

The easiest answer is: start with one, and see how you go. I was very surprised at how powerful these are, compared to the Airport Extreme AC I had before (which are themselves highly regarded).

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I do mean the old ones yes, sold with a feature that was never implemented. In reference to other posts, zero hand off is not the same as roaming, but I just point it out because Ubiquiti have difficulty focusing on a product and fixing things once it's released, preferring to move onto the next version and new shiny thing.

The new ACs launched with 3 major features listed that weren't actually available! Although I think 2 of 3 are now there.

RMAs can be slow too, I've only had to return one of the latest batch of UAPs but the turnaround was almost 3 months.
Don't disagree with you. However, everything I've read about Zero Handoff is that you should avoid it like the plague. It introduces more problems than it solves. The reality is that all well-behaved devices and apps support the small lost of connectivity that happens when you switch from one AP to another, and as a result Zero Handoff is just not needed (I'm sure there are very specific cases where it is needed).

The thing with Ubiquiti is that they offer a great feature set for a very good price, but some things do suffer as a result of that price, one of them being support. The alternative is to pay a *lot* more for Cisco/Meraki/Aruba/etc. Or... keep a spare or two on a shelf for when something dies (which I suspect is what the vast majority of Ubiquiti customers do).

Associate
Quote of mine from the other UniFi thread...

Very interesting indeed...will look intothis as will be fitting 3 internal and 1 external in my brother in laws house and this would be a very tidy solution.

Are there any downloadable ROMs that have this already done, or do you have to go through the step by step guides to get to the solution?

Don
We have over 250 of them in work. Using a Ubuntu server as the controller. -far nicer than a Windows server as the host!.

For my one at home, I opted for a cloud based controller, it was free for 3 years :)

Associate
Very interesting indeed...will look intothis as will be fitting 3 internal and 1 external in my brother in laws house and this would be a very tidy solution.

Are there any downloadable ROMs that have this already done, or do you have to go through the step by step guides to get to the solution?

I managed to find the v4.8 ROM, but I've since searched and can no longer find it. However after trailing the two side by side I've found that v3.2.7 is better on the Pi, the whole interface is much quicker and ultimately provides all the same information. That is quite readily available from various sites. Sadly since deciding on v3.2.7 I've deleted the v4.8. The user experience may be different for you though, this is on a Pi1 model b running at the standard clock speed.

Associate
Crumbled and bought a lite. £76. Was going to go for long range but the price jumped up £20 in last 24 hours so will try a lite and see if its suitable for what I want.

Is there any way (other than VLANS) I could set one ssid to use a different Gateway IP?

Last edited:
Associate
We use these for a few customers at work and I love them, I've installed them and forgot they were there! No problems at all.

My one "issue" with them is needing a controller, it would be great to be able to deploy one or two without needing the controller to set up.

We also have a few point to point wireless bridges set up with UBNT gear and, again, they've been brilliant.

I'm going to have a **** load of calls about these on Monday now aren't I?

Back
Top Bottom