*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
What's your DHCP range? If your Asus is 192.168.1.3 then it'd be unusual for 192.168.1.1 to be dished out by DHCP. Technically possibly of course, but seems unlikely.

I'm wondering if the UDM has 192.168.1.1 as default and the issues you're facing are because the UDM can't reach a DNS server. Is the UDM definitely set to grab a WAN IP address from DHCP?

Soldato
My initial impression was that the UDM assigned itself 192.168.1.1 by default. At that point it wasn't hooked up to the Asus router though. For reference, my IP range is 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.199

I can't change any configurations on the UDM so I can't set it to do anything at the moment. It should be provided with an IP address but as I said, I've run a network scan and it's not showing up.

Soldato
@Bluecube - your issue is that the WAN (ASUS) is on the same subnet as the UDM wants to put its LAN. And that’s not going to work.

So, on the ASUS, you need to change the DHCP server to anything in the 192.168.x.x range except 182.168.1.x which is what the UDM wants to use. So 192.168.0.x or 192.168.2.x would be fine.

WAN and LAN must be on different subnets.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Soldato
Having to change the subnet on the Asus is a bit of a ball ache, it'd be so much easier if the LAN subnet on the UDM could be changed right at the very beginning of the setup but that's not how Ubnt do things.

Maybe you could connect a device to the LAN side of the UDM, SSH in and then change the LAN subnet from there. I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot.

Edit - I looked up the available SSH commands on the UDM and doing the LAN subnet change isn't possible.

The joys of 192.168.0.0/24 & 192.168.1.0/24. I always advise people to not use them for exactly this sort of reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
@WJA96 Makes perfect sense. I've made the necessary change on the Asus router so everything is now sitting on 192.168.3.x including the Asus router. Aaaaannnd.... No joy. The UDM still trips up at the "Setting up Network" stage at exactly the same spot it has previously. One more factory reset calls but I'll be honest and say I'm not sure it's going to make a difference at this point.

@the-evaluator That's my next step BUT, I don't have any laptops with network ports so I'll have to connect it to my main PC so the UDM won't be connected to the Internet. I don't think that'll be an issue if I just want to change the LAN subnet. Hopefully the configuration will be straightforward.

PS I thought Ubiquiti stuff was easy to set up! ;)

Soldato
When you're setting up the UDM, can you see what IP address it grabbed from the DHCP server on the Asus? Logically the setup as you've got now should work fine if you're telling the UDM to get an IP address from DHCP for the WAN interface.

Ubiquiti stuff is easy if your network fits into the neat little box they assume it will. If it doesn't then, as you've found, it can be a bit of a faff!

Soldato
An IP address appears that I'm fairly certain is the UDM. It's just a MAC and IP address so I'm not 100% certain. I think it's an issue that the UDM can't connect to the 'Net for the speedtest and then firmware check but as to why it can't connect I don't know.

EDIT: And no, I can't SSH into it.

Soldato
But if the UDM is getting it's WAN IP by DHCP from the Asus then there's no reason why it wouldn't be able to do the speedtest and firmware update.

Does the WAN address not show anywhere when you're going through the setup on the UDM? From a client on the LAN side of the Asus, can you ping that IP address?

Soldato
No the WAN address doesn't show up anywhere on the UDM set up. I'm asked for my Ubiquiti login, name of Wifi networks to set up and that's it.

There's no response to pings to that IP address. I'm fairly certain now that it is the UDM btw.

Soldato
Unless there's some filtering or similar in place on the Asus router then I can't think why the UDM setup won't complete.

What happens if you leave the UDM WAN port disconnected and then connect to the UDM and start the setup? Maybe the lack of a WAN IP address will prompt it to ask for some network information. If that works you could give it a static IP address in 192.168.3.0/24 and then connect the WAN port to the Asus router and continue through the setup.

Logically if you're connecting with a PPPoE connection then you'd need to give those details to the UDM before it tries to connect to your Ubiquiti account so I'd expect it to be able to ask for that information.

Soldato
If no cable is plugged into the WAN port of the UDM then you get a message saying that you need to plug the UDM in to a modem. You can't progress any further nor make any changes anywhere to progress.

Sky fibre is DHCP as far as I'm aware. At the risk of clouding the issue, I connected the UDM directly to the Net connection via the HG612 modem and it didn't work that way either. This is why my initial request for help focussed on the MER61 issue as I thought this was the problem.

On another note, that MAC address is indeed that of the UDM as it disappeared when I disconnected the UDM. EDIT 2: There is no filtering on the Asus router. I have a Pi-hole set up but I've bypassed that for the time being.

EDIT: What I find very frustrating is that the setup process won't complete even with just basic LAN details. That way I would hope to login into and have access to the full GUI and fix things in there.

Soldato
MER isn't helping, that's for sure.

Have you got another switch knocking about? If you have, connect a cable from the WAN interface on the USG to the switch but don't uplink to switch to anything. The aim is just to get the link on the WAN interface to come up. When the interface is up, do you get any additional options during the UDM setup?

Soldato
That's bizarre, I would have epected there to be some way you could give it a basic network config if it can't get a WAN IP address from DHCP.

Unless someone else comes along with the answer, it's worth posting on the Ubiquiti forum and asking for help.

Soldato
I'm going to try a direct connection to the Internet later ie cutting out the Asus router but this will be me going full circle so I'm not too hopeful.

Soldato
Just for the record, as expected, the direct connection didn't work. The UDM seemed to detect that there was a WAN connection available as it asked for WAN information but nothing I input made it connect - probably due to MER, but who knows...

I'll be doing a bit more research to try and get the UDM correctly set up but not having access to the various settings is a real hindrance. There's a good chance it's going to have to go back.

Soldato
Unless there's some filtering or similar in place on the Asus router then I can't think why the UDM setup won't complete.

What happens if you leave the UDM WAN port disconnected and then connect to the UDM and start the setup? Maybe the lack of a WAN IP address will prompt it to ask for some network information. If that works you could give it a static IP address in 192.168.3.0/24 and then connect the WAN port to the Asus router and continue through the setup.

Logically if you're connecting with a PPPoE connection then you'd need to give those details to the UDM before it tries to connect to your Ubiquiti account so I'd expect it to be able to ask for that information.

You have 3 options;

DHCP, Fixed IP address and PPPoE. So if you want to give it a fixed IP address, choose that one.

Back
Top Bottom