*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I’ve had good results with the ASUS PCE-AX58BT WiFi6 card which should be ~£50 but it’s only a 2x2 card.

I was considering this, or the PCE-88 - for reference I have an Asus RT-AC68u router. My current AC56 adapter has an annoying issue with Win10 were it loses connectivity to the network and won't reconnect without a lot of faffing. The only solution is to install the drivers direct from Realtek, but that has never worked for me. I was edging toward the PCE-88 due to being a mature AC device, but the drivers were last updated in '18.

For reference, I gave up on going for a mesh system based on your advice/my own readings. I was scheduled to have a cable installed, but COVID canned that and a number of other things. I'll be re-scheduling that when possible.

Thanks

Don
Quick question gents, I've used Unifi for years, but only with onsite local controllers.

If you had say 6 pubs, all with 3 or 4 access points. Can you pay for a cloud based controller, then have multiple sites in that controller? Do you need to login to the AP and set the inform URL as the cloud site?

Want to have a guest network and a 'work' network for payment devices / tills etc. I assume turning on Wifi isolation for guest network is enough here..

Soldato
Quick question gents, I've used Unifi for years, but only with onsite local controllers.

If you had say 6 pubs, all with 3 or 4 access points. Can you pay for a cloud based controller, then have multiple sites in that controller? Do you need to login to the AP and set the inform URL as the cloud site?

Yes, or you can run them all from one of your ‘local’ controllers. One controller can do multiple sites.

Want to have a guest network and a 'work' network for payment devices / tills etc. I assume turning on Wifi isolation for guest network is enough here..

Yes.

Caporegime
Will we see the UDM Pro SE this year?

Mind I bought a Eufy doorbell to tie me over whilst waiting for the Unifi one to become available, and the sheer quality of the camera has put me back to thinking about moving away from Unifi. The downside being its not a local controller of course.

Oh colour me surprised the g4 is actually available. What do I do now then :p? The Unifi cameras are so expensive and far from market leading..

Soldato
Oh colour me surprised the g4 is actually available. What do I do now then :p? The Unifi cameras are so expensive and far from market leading..

If, as you say, the UniFi cameras offer nothing special then why bother with them? There are plenty of other cheaper and better options out there from simple Eufy style set ups to more complex (relatively speaking) methods such as Zoneminder and Frigate.

Caporegime
I just have lots of unifi networking equipment, and when I get setup in our new house I'm trying to come up with compelling reasons for not completely buying all new stuff. Even though I'd enjoy buying all new stuff!

Who knows - Unifi might get their act together and start selling decent cameras, that could take years though.

Soldato
I have the G4 doorbell, it’s fine but a bit of a pain to fit because of the chime requirements.

It’s not as fully featured as other but there is the benefit of local recording, super fast notifications and no subscription.

That said I don’t think I’d go deep into their camera system. You can get better Hik/Duha cameras and an NVR which includes all the POE needed for less money than G4 unifi cameras.

Soldato
Will we see the UDM Pro SE this year?

Mind I bought a Eufy doorbell to tie me over whilst waiting for the Unifi one to become available, and the sheer quality of the camera has put me back to thinking about moving away from Unifi. The downside being its not a local controller of course.

The eufy doorbell is fine, the delay of about 3-4 seconds is annnouing though.

be cool if ubiquiti did a udm with WiFi 6e.

Associate
Upgraded from an AC Lite to a U6-LR a few months ago, and getting constant drop-outs on devices, even when close to the AP. Just the one device to cover the whole house, signal appears fine everywhere. I've got the controller installed on my server, anything I can do re settings that might help with this? I've split out the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, not really sure what else might help?

Not sure drop-outs are the best description actually, signal holds steady throughout, it's like the internet connection drops in the background. But no issues on wired devices which go through the same router.

Have already tried all the available firmwares, currently on the latest. Will just go back to the old AC Lite if nothing obvious as it's maddening at the minute.

Soldato
Upgraded from an AC Lite to a U6-LR a few months ago, and getting constant drop-outs on devices, even when close to the AP. Just the one device to cover the whole house, signal appears fine everywhere. I've got the controller installed on my server, anything I can do re settings that might help with this? I've split out the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, not really sure what else might help?

Not sure drop-outs are the best description actually, signal holds steady throughout, it's like the internet connection drops in the background. But no issues on wired devices which go through the same router.

Have already tried all the available firmwares, currently on the latest. Will just go back to the old AC Lite if nothing obvious as it's maddening at the minute.

Turn off auto-everything. Set your WiFi bands to something manually, that interferes as little as possible with the other signals in your area. The U6-LR is a VERY good access point. You shouldn’t be seeing issues unless there is a set-up issue. Have you ruled out a power issue? How are you powering the U6-LR as it’s a PoE+ access point, not just PoE.

Associate
Turn off auto-everything. Set your WiFi bands to something manually, that interferes as little as possible with the other signals in your area. The U6-LR is a VERY good access point. You shouldn’t be seeing issues unless there is a set-up issue. Have you ruled out a power issue? How are you powering the U6-LR as it’s a PoE+ access point, not just PoE.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using a 3rd party PoE+ injector, so shouldn't be a power issue. Struggling a bit with the other stuff tbh. I'm guessing I can turn off Meshing (only one AP anyway), band steering isn't necessary so I'll get rid of that. Other settings for the radio are below - these are just how it came out of the box, so happy to have a tinker with these, but would appreciate some guidance ;)

I2DPwNc.png

Soldato

Yes thats possible and works the way you are thinking, if you don't fancy building and maintaining your own cloud server these guys are pretty well regarded https://www.hostifi.com/

Soldato
any alternatives to the g4 cameras that work with the dmp? seems everyone thinks they are poor for the price.

Only the UniFi cameras work with Protect. It’s how they lock you in. The G4 Pro is a very good image quality cameras at even £150. But at £350? No, that’s just silly. And once you’ve seen the G4 Pro you don’t want any of the other UniFi cameras.

And after the way they just DUMPED UniFi Video customers, I’d be very wary of buying into anything UniFi that wasn’t core networking. Robert Pera likes to dabble in markets and if they don’t work out, he cuts and runs, leaving the consumers holding the unsupported baby.

Ubiquiti make very good access points and I’d go as far as saying the hardware in their switches and routers are decent enough. The controller and firmware support on the routing division since it moved to Poland has been awful though. The man in charge of routing and switching software, Chris Buechler, was one of the original branchers of M0n0wall into pfSense and from he’s been doing the last 5 years I can only assume it was the other guy who did the coding. Buechler is on record as saying it’s OK to ship beta software to customers. I disagree. If something (like the UDM Pro) has been in Beta for a YEAR it shouldn’t launch with 9 months of enforced EA firmware releases. I think the UDM Pro is about 18 months into GA now, and it’s just about stable. Just about.

You’d be better off putting your £400 into a 4-camera Reolink system which will give you similar image quality and you can buy a new one next year.

Soldato
I currently have a single UniFi AP-AC-Lite this was fine in the old house, but in the new one its got some weak spots, I see you can not do wireless uplinks with Unifi.

What would be better getting a new AP for the master AP and use my current one in places where I want to extend the wifi to or just get another UniFi AP-AC-Lite?

Thanks

Soldato
I currently have a single UniFi AP-AC-Lite this was fine in the old house, but in the new one its got some weak spots, I see you can not do wireless uplinks with Unifi.

What would be better getting a new AP for the master AP and use my current one in places where I want to extend the wifi to or just get another UniFi AP-AC-Lite?

Thanks

The AP-AC-Lite only has 2 channels so if you use use one for the meshed connection then that literally halves your bandwidth. So, what you are looking at is replacing the AP-AC-Lite with a pair or UAP-HDNanos or better yet, U6-LRs. You might find a single U6-LR will cover your whole home. That will give you at least 2x2 AC and reasonable browsing speeds.

Soldato
The AP-AC-Lite only has 2 channels so if you use use one for the meshed connection then that literally halves your bandwidth. So, what you are looking at is replacing the AP-AC-Lite with a pair or UAP-HDNanos or better yet, U6-LRs. You might find a single U6-LR will cover your whole home. That will give you at least 2x2 AC and reasonable browsing speeds.

Thanks will order a U6-LR and see if that fixes it, if not will put my current AP on a mesh uplink, the devices in those areas be low use and might just put a specific vlan on it so other devices dont roam onto it

Back
Top Bottom