*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
The more i look at the UDM Pro SE the more I'm disappointed. The only really worth is POE but i already have a POE switch, its got the same CPU so not even any faster. The included SSD is too small. Faster WAN port not interested either, id have loved to have seen a couple of 2.5Gbps or 5Gbps LAN ports.

Associate
Now I'm reading that you can't adopt UDM's into existing controllers and to do what Sparx suggested, which seems like a good idea, would require a USG-Pro or similar.
Ubiquiti don't appear to make it simple to work out what you actually need to get in order to meet your requirements.

Soldato
If I can add 3 UDM's to the three sites that require public wifi and then manage them from the same controller, that would be sufficient. Would the controller need to be cloud-based or could I continue to use the one at HQ I wonder?

It's given me a few more points to research so thanks for your input.

What modems do people currently recommend for use with the UDM devices? I've previously used a Vigor 120 and know that the 130 should be suitable, but are the cheaper second hand BT HG612 modems a better option?

Doesn't need to be cloud based, if you have your own hosted controller at HQ you can use that. Long as the server it's on isn't a potato it's no problem at all, you can host dozens of sites if you wanted. :)

VDSL modem wise, yeah HG612 are still solid despite being fairly old now. Used one at my old place no problems, never missed a beat ran for months solid. Only re-syncs was overnight from the cabinet at times or any power drops.

Edit - Just seen your last post, are you sure? I don't see any reason you can't set it up as a 'new site' and adopt it within your existing controller? Totally separate network settings then, although would probably need their own separate APs that way too.

Prob need someone more experienced to explore these options.

Associate
[QUOTE
Edit - Just seen your last post, are you sure? I don't see any reason you can't set it up as a 'new site' and adopt it within your existing controller? Totally separate network settings then, although would probably need their own separate APs that way too.

Prob need someone more experienced to explore these options.[/QUOTE]

The Ubiquiti forum threads that I've seen suggest that you can't adopt a UDM as it has it's own controller. They are a couple of years old but I can't find anyting more recent to contradict them. The USG line can be adopted, but they're getting on a bit so I wouldn't be keen on getting them.

UDM - Why not allow adoption into other controllers?

Unifi Dream Machine - multiple site management

Caporegime
UDMs cannot be adopted into other controllers.

Aruba access points can be configured as PPPoE clients, so you can drop a preconfigured AP off at a location with just a PoE injector/PSU and a VDSL modem. Combine with Aruba Central if you want some cloud management.

Soldato
just a quick question, do you need a controller for any AP such as WIFI 6 model range (professional, lite, long range)

if so, which controller? im look to replace WIFI at work, 5 floors building, up to 50 staff, must support Guest wifi too

cheers

Soldato
just a quick question, do you need a controller for any AP such as WIFI 6 model range (professional, lite, long range)

if so, which controller? im look to replace WIFI at work, 5 floors building, up to 50 staff, must support Guest wifi too

cheers

There is only one controller software. It runs on multiple platforms including Linux, Raspberry Pi, Windows.

The stock controller will run Guest Wi-Fi with one click if you have the controller running permanently. I always use a UniFi Cloud Key of some description but there are many people who swear by other options.

For a 5-storey building I’d say you’d be looking at an absolute minimum of 5 access points, quite possibly more. Get a professional survey done before you spend any money. It will save you serious hassle in the future.

Soldato
There is only one controller software. It runs on multiple platforms including Linux, Raspberry Pi, Windows.

The stock controller will run Guest Wi-Fi with one click if you have the controller running permanently. I always use a UniFi Cloud Key of some description but there are many people who swear by other options.

For a 5-storey building I’d say you’d be looking at an absolute minimum of 5 access points, quite possibly more. Get a professional survey done before you spend any money. It will save you serious hassle in the future.

Thanks for that..what does the controller do exactly?

Soldato
In short, it's basically software which controls the configuration of all the ubiquti devices on the network. You set up the network in the controller and it pushes the settings to all the relevant devices.

For example, if you change the WiFi password, it will push that to all the WiFi access points. When you add a new access point it sets it all up with the right settings.

Associate
I see thanks, so this controller is mobile phone based app? Also does this controller have DHCP server too?
The controller can be accessed from the Unifi mobile app, but it has to be running on its own hardware, be it Windows, Linux, Cloudkey, UDM, or on a cloud-hosted platform.
It does have a DHCP server for the clients.

Usually the controller doesn't actually need to be on all the time for the access points to work, as the configuration is pushed down to them, but if you want a guest portal you have to keep it running.

Soldato
Thanks again. Whats about if the network already have a DHCP server (server 2019) .

Will APs work without any additional hardware from Ubiquiti?

Soldato
If you've already got something running as a DHCP server than it's no problem to continue using that.

You don't necessarily need any other Ubiquiti hardware but as mentioned you'd ideally something to run the UniFi Network Application (previously known as the UniFi Network Controller) on. That could be a UniFi Cloud Key or can you run it on a Windows/Linux box. Personally I always run it on a Linux box and often point people to this page to grab a very nice script that'll install everything for you. The Cloud Key is pretty much just a Linux box in a nice package.

Once the AP's are setup and running you don't necessarily need to keep the controller running but if you're using the guest captive portal then the controller needs to be running all the time.

Have you got a PoE switch? I'm sure I read that the WiFi 6 AP's done come with injectors in the box.

Soldato
Stupid question from someone looking into buying some unifi hardware. Does the controller software need to be actively running all the time e.g. on a server, or will the APs function fine by themselves and you just need to use the controller software to set them up or change settings?

Soldato
Stupid question from someone looking into buying some unifi hardware. Does the controller software need to be actively running all the time e.g. on a server, or will the APs function fine by themselves and you just need to use the controller software to set them up or change settings?
Read the post above yours, explains it well.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Tempted to give a UDM another try after my first one blew up after a couple of days a year or so ago.

What’s the software on them like now, still in a permanent state of beta?

I don’t need anything too fancy features wise, just really to allow me to do some network segregation and couple of other bits and bobs, and just for something shiny to tinker with a bit.

Soldato
The software was improved massively with the latest version. There are still a few beta options in there but the general stability and user interface is great. Previously it was amateur hour.

Soldato
Just curious as I've not used SFP to connect the switch I have (USW-24 Gen 1 and a Gen 2 24 POE), do the SFP connections mirror Ports 23/24 on the switches and therefore its either SFP or port 23/24 or all ports or does each switch handle different due to their generation?

Back
Top Bottom