*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
So.. I’m toying with which way to jump.. I have UDMP, US-8-150W, Flex Mini, 3 x G3 Flex, and a NanoHD.

Some stuff with Unifi bugs the hell out of me - no way to have multiple motion zones, and only get notifications for one of them for instance. Also no smart detection with my G3 Flex cameras - fair enough given the price, so I was toying with upgrading to the G4 Dome cameras.

Also have lots of Apple stuff including HomePod Mini, and a Yale Conexis L1 and Ihave the Unifi cameras and the smart lock running in Apple Homekit via Homebridge running on my Unraid server.

On top of all that I have a Samsung SmartThings hub, and a ton of Philips Hue stuff and several motion sensors which I am using to replace my old traditional house alarm.

I was looking to get the G4 doorbell, but reading comments above seems it is not such a good buy?

I like everything being integrated with Apple Homekit - it’s great for the kids and wife to use.

The way everything is at the moment is complicated to say the least. If I get hit by a bus, the missus is stuffed the minute anything goes wrong.

My ultimate question I guess is do I persevere with Unifi stuff or ditch it all and go Velop and Homekit Secure Video?

Soldato
Will we see the UDM Pro SE this year?

Mind I bought a Eufy doorbell to tie me over whilst waiting for the Unifi one to become available, and the sheer quality of the camera has put me back to thinking about moving away from Unifi. The downside being its not a local controller of course.

Oh colour me surprised the g4 is actually available. What do I do now then :p? The Unifi cameras are so expensive and far from market leading..

The UDM Pro SE initially really peaked my interest but its such a shame they didn't have the 8x ports at 2.5Gb as well, i see no use in having just the WAN port. My main PC and my NAS are both just waiting for 2.5Gb connectivity. POE ports are nice, would be enough to power the needed access points and a couple or G4 Pro cameras.

Soldato
I am looking at 2.5Gb for our next NAS as well, so I think it's going to involve a move to some 2.5GB networking stuff. QNap seems reasonably priced.
Mines an Asustor, actually has 2x 2.5Gb ports which you can link if you wanted. But trying to get a decent value 2.5Gb switch is annoying, feel like we have been stuck at 1Gb for ages now.
Why have they put the 2.5Gb on the WAN port only just seems silly, were only just getting 1Gb internet to the majority. Obviously for home/enthusiast use.

Associate
Does Amplifi belong to this thread?

Im planning on extending the mesh coverage at the house. Im thinking of Amplifi HD -> switch -> Instant Router (acting as meshpoint with ethernet backhaul).

Looking for info if having the switch in between 2 amplifi will work.
Thx

EDIT: I just found out that it is on the footnote in the amplifi website :)

You must have the RAMP wired to the AmpliFi router directly. This means you cannot have them both connected to a modem/router in the back bone configuration, the RAMP must have a direct connection to the AmpliFi. You can use a switch as long as it is fed by the AmpliFi router. For example modem > AmpliFi router > switch > RAMP will work.

Caporegime
What is this amplifi stuff about then, just a plug and play wifi router/home user alternative to Unifi?

Ah just a home wifi meshing system. Hmmmm maybe I should just plump for it so I don't have to wire up the new house. Still need wired for my office but I can just run external for that back to the garage where I'll be putting most of the networking equipment.

Soldato
What is this amplifi stuff about then, just a plug and play wifi router/home user alternative to Unifi?

Ah just a home wifi meshing system. Hmmmm maybe I should just plump for it so I don't have to wire up the new house. Still need wired for my office but I can just run external for that back to the garage where I'll be putting most of the networking equipment.

Yeah it's a consumer version basically. I actually rather like it, nice App/Ui, great for my parents house. Handles 500mb fibre fine.

Caporegime
I need to solve a problem with my Emby server, as it keeps just dropping out* and we have exhausted most options over at the Emby forums - with some sort of network issue being the next thing to investigate.

A quick look at the controller and nothing sticks out - it rates the WiFi experience as good with the clients and nothing out of the ordinary is showing in the logs. Any recommendations for additional tools/software I could use? Emby logs the playback drops but just shows it as my finishing something, trying to see if I can find a network issue that happens at the same time.

*the content will just stop suddenly and return to menu. Another user said they had similar issues and found out it was something to do with flaky WiFi. However my issue happens on my Android phone (WiFi) and my main rig (Ethernet). Oddly enough as I type this, it reminds me of another issue I have seen. Incredibly slow internet, just tried loading the DM and the front page gave up with lots of missing media. An article in a new tab gave up all together, showing just a blank page. Edit - well I have an answer on the slow loading pages. Just ran a Speed Test and got 0.47Mbps for down and >400 for the ping - these huge drops in speed happen here and there but wonder if that's more to do with Virgin?

Running a UDM with one AP-LR.

Man of Honour
I need to solve a problem with my Emby server, as it keeps just dropping out* and we have exhausted most options over at the Emby forums - with some sort of network issue being the next thing to investigate.

A quick look at the controller and nothing sticks out - it rates the WiFi experience as good with the clients and nothing out of the ordinary is showing in the logs. Any recommendations for additional tools/software I could use? Emby logs the playback drops but just shows it as my finishing something, trying to see if I can find a network issue that happens at the same time.

*the content will just stop suddenly and return to menu. Another user said they had similar issues and found out it was something to do with flaky WiFi. However my issue happens on my Android phone (WiFi) and my main rig (Ethernet). Oddly enough as I type this, it reminds me of another issue I have seen. Incredibly slow internet, just tried loading the DM and the front page gave up with lots of missing media. An article in a new tab gave up all together, showing just a blank page. Edit - well I have an answer on the slow loading pages. Just ran a Speed Test and got 0.47Mbps for down and >400 for the ping - these huge drops in speed happen here and there but wonder if that's more to do with Virgin?

Running a UDM with one AP-LR.
I run Emby Server on a VM (wired) and I have an Apple TV client running Infuse, I haven't encountered the issues you have had. My AP is a nanoHD.

Associate
Question for the experts. I have an existing Ubiquiti setup that provides corporate wireless at 6 separate sites. Each of these sites is connected to our main HQ site, which is where the controller is installed, and provides Internet access to everyone.

We now have to provide public wireless at 3 of these sites, each using a separate VDSL connection. If I was to use a UDM at each site would I need to manage each one individually? Would it be possible to to install a UDM Pro at the HQ site to manage not only the existing corporate wireless, but also the new public wireless connections at each site?

Last edited:
Soldato
Question for the experts. I have an existing Ubiquiti setup that provides corporate wireless at 6 separate sites. Each of these sites is connected to our main HQ site, which is where the controller is installed, and provides Internet access to everyone.
we now have to provide public wireless at these sites, but using a separate VDSL connection. If I was to use a UDM at each site would I need to manage each one individually? Would it be possible to to install a UDM Pro at the HQ site to manage not only the existing corporate wireless, but also the new public wireless connections at each site?

I'm not a pro by any means - but if you situate the UDM at your HQ, the VDSL connection on-site has no way to talk between the modem (on-site) and the router (UDM off site?) will it not? I don't think you can beam the VDSL modem connection to HQ off-site, via another UDM router, then back to the site... Even if it was possible I'd say it sounds incredibly inefficient and add additional latency?

From my limited knowledge, I'd have thought it be best to have the UDMs on-site with the VDSL/modem connections, but on the same hosted controller. This still enables you to control the connection via the controller then?

Could be wrong and gladly welcome someone with more knowledge on this.

I presume you can't do the easy option of just setting up a VLAN for the public wifi, using the existing wireless connection and equipment in situ already?

Associate
Thanks for the reply Sparx. We probably could setup a VLAN for the public wifi to use the existing connection, but it's currently being heavily used by VPN connections from home working staff so I'd rather not overload it with members of the public, even if I can apply some access speed policies.

If I can add 3 UDM's to the three sites that require public wifi and then manage them from the same controller, that would be sufficient. Would the controller need to be cloud-based or could I continue to use the one at HQ I wonder?
It's given me a few more points to research so thanks for your input.

What modems do people currently recommend for use with the UDM devices? I've previously used a Vigor 120 and know that the 130 should be suitable, but are the cheaper second hand BT HG612 modems a better option?

Back
Top Bottom