*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato

Can you create a 2.4GHz only network on your UniFi AP and connect the Q box to that. In theory it should work fine with a combined 5 & 2.4GHz network but the reality can be quite different. As far as I remember you can only use 5GHz Wi-Fi on a Sky Q box if you're using a Sky router.

I'd be inclined to do a network reset on the Q box, connect it to a 2.4GHz only network from your UniFi AP and go from there. If you've moved all your devices over to using your UniFi AP then could you disable Wi-Fi on the Sky router?

Indeed.

@PahuljicaZ
I have my Sky Q boxes on my UniFi 2.4GHz IoT SSID.

Sky router stayed in its box.

Man of Honour
Not being funny but WHY THE **** are you upgrading the firmware on a USG? Since they unified the firmwares the older routers have been best on 4.4.3x

Instead of giving the messenger a hard time, why not read the release notes? And then come back and tell me what security updates the USG line has had recently?

What an absolute ray of sunshine these posts are.

https://community.ui.com/releases/USG-Firmware-4-4-56/d396a13e-b3f3-4099-8b2c-6fe0d71ee939

USG Firmware 4.4.56

Update PPPoE client with CVE-2020-8597 security patch.

https://community.ui.com/releases/USG-Firmware-4-4-55/91238660-8a97-424a-9f29-852cbf84c85f

USG Firmware 4.4.55

Update dnsmasq to v2.84. Patches vulnerabilities in CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686 and CVE-2020-25687. Of these, only the ones related to DNS cache poisoning possibilities are relevant to controller-generated configurations (25684 through 25686).

https://community.ui.com/releases/USG-Firmware-4-4-52/9f388251-ba90-462c-b954-b7a3071c736f

USG Firmware 4.4.52

IPsec - Security updates for strongswan. (CVE-2015-3991, CVE-2015-4171, CVE-2017-9022, CVE-2017-9023, CVE-2017-11185, CVE-2018-10811)

I'm not going to go through every set of release notes but it's pretty clear they are fixing security issues so I'm really not sure what your rhetoric is here?

Soldato
I recently put a U6-LR in a relatives house and no matter what I did the sky boxes didn't like been connected to the unifi accesspoint in the end I gave up and used a tp-link wifi repeater as an ethernet bridge and then let the mini boxed connect on their own mesh to the main box.

I have my main box hard wired so didn't expect this issue.

If you feel like giving it another try, setup a 2.4GHz network for the Sky box.

Associate
It's driving me nuts this sky q ****box.

I did a test yesterday,turned of wireless on Sky router and got the AP running for a couple of hours and played some games on ps5 and deliberately not turning sky q on. Everything was ok, before I went to sleep tried turning on sky q, it connected to the AP, dropped the connection after 2mins and started looping which in the end crashed the entire wireless network.

I will try and create a separate SSID on 2.4 Ghz when I get home from work today, thanks for the suggestion guys. Can you guys take a screenshot of your settings for that SSID if it works? I mean all the options like "optimize IOT connection" and all that good stuff that I still don't understand properly...

Associate
It's driving me nuts this sky q *******.

I did a test yesterday,turned of wireless on Sky router and got the AP running for a couple of hours and played some games on ps5 and deliberately not turning sky q on. Everything was ok, before I went to sleep tried turning on sky q, it connected to the AP, dropped the connection after 2mins and started looping which in the end crashed the entire wireless network.

I will try and create a separate SSID on 2.4 Ghz when I get home from work today, thanks for the suggestion guys. Can you guys take a screenshot of your settings for that SSID if it works? I mean all the options like "optimize IOT connection" and all that good stuff that I still don't understand properly...

I had issues with Sky Q too, I had to uncheck the "Connects high performance clients to 5Ghz only" under the SSID settings. That then allowed the Sky boxes to use the 2.4Ghz network.
Then I went ahead and completely hardwired my Sky Q and Mini boxes anyway :D

Soldato
It's driving me nuts this sky q *******.

Yep. Agreed!

My 2.4GHz network is setup as follows:

qUeg8eJ.png
bIOOTP1.png
jqIYuDr.png

Soldato
Then I went ahead and completely hardwired my Sky Q and Mini boxes anyway :D

I did too but still had problems where the main Q box would lock up when connected to ethernet. The fan run run at full speed and any picture displayed would freeze. I'd disabled the Wi-Fi interfaces on all the Sky boxes so thought it was a switch firmware issue.

After lots of messing about I found that if I had any Sonos speakers hard wired (and I have several) then the Q box would get upset. I then moved the Sky boxes into their own VLAN and it's all been fine since.

Associate
Thanks for the screens evaluator, can't wait to get home and try it out now. Worst case scenario, I will hard wire stupid sky q in a couple of months time. We just moved to our new home, planning a lot of work coming spring time including re-wiring all of the cat5 cables and sockets.

As we still don't have access to fibre optic to the property (I have been told its gonna happen by the end of 2023 by open reach), I am thinking going for the dream machine or udm pro is an overkill for my current network. Has anyone here tried running the controller on raspberry pi and using homebridge to control the devices or similar? Anyone happy with that solution?

Soldato
If you end up hard wiring your Q boxes, make sure you disable the Wi-Fi interfaces on them but going into the installer menu (home, settings (don't press select), press 0 0 1 then select). If you don't then the network that the Sky boxes created between each other will still be there and you'll find your network goes belly up when the Sky boxes connect together over ethernet and Wi-Fi.

I've not personally tried running the Controller on a Pi - I use use a Cloud hosted VM, but I do know a couple of people that have and I believe it's working fine for them.

Soldato
Smart Sensor has been in stock a few hours if anyone was wanting to give them a try. I ordered a couple to see how well they can work using them as door sensors with home assistant instead of ring. I find myself really wanting the poe floodlight even though its totally unnecessary :p

Associate
Has anyone here tried running the controller on raspberry pi and using homebridge to control the devices or similar? Anyone happy with that solution?

I ran Pi-hole and the unifi controller on a Pi 4 for a while, worked fine only stopped using it as starting to use unifi cameras.

If you feel like giving it another try, setup a 2.4GHz network for the Sky box.

Thanks for posting your settings next time I am there I'll give it a go.

Associate
I did the exact same settings as you evaluator, but sky q refuses to hold connection to AP. It even crashes the entire wifi network on AP after 5-10mins for whatever reason.

I even tried connecting it to a mobile hotspot just to see if it works, but no same stuff. I refuse to make this acceptable and wire it, because it's costing too much money a month for not to work with other wireless devices. Will need to talk to Sky and get someone out probably or they can take their **** with them....

Associate
Smart Sensor has been in stock a few hours if anyone was wanting to give them a try. I ordered a couple to see how well they can work using them as door sensors with home assistant instead of ring. I find myself really wanting the poe floodlight even though its totally unnecessary :p
I’m glad I’m not the only one who wants that floodlight!

Back
Top Bottom