*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Frankly I expect companies selling premium products to in reality go out of their way to support customers who purchase from them. That includes making efforts to remedy faults that crop up outside warranty periods. Anyway, I don't really care to get deeper into a disagreement about it.

I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a Switch Lite 8 POE, U6+, a bunch of patch cables, and 3x Flex Minis.

I only wanted one flex mini, but they only had 3 packs for some reason, so I'll be flogging two of them on MM shortly.

That and the pile of twin and earth, wire strippers and sockets already sat waiting for me downstairs, and the reel of CAT6 + crimper and RJ45s is probably my weekend accounted for :D

I hate to break it to you but Ubiquiti isn’t remotely premium. It’s prosumer or basic business grade kit. It’s actually cheap for what you get but if you want premium support then you need to go to HPE/Aruba or Cisco/Meraki or even Arista. Then you’re into lifetime warranties and advance swap-outs but you pay for it either in the equipment price or ongoing subscriptions.

Soldato
I hate to break it to you but Ubiquiti isn’t remotely premium. It’s prosumer or basic business grade kit. It’s actually cheap for what you get but if you want premium support then you need to go to HPE/Aruba or Cisco/Meraki or even Arista. Then you’re into lifetime warranties and advance swap-outs but you pay for it either in the equipment price or ongoing subscriptions.
I think you missed the part where I said I wasn't interesting in continuing the discussion bud :)

Man of Honour
Frankly I expect companies selling premium products to in reality go out of their way to support customers who purchase from them. That includes making efforts to remedy faults that crop up outside warranty periods. Anyway, I don't really care to get deeper into a disagreement about it.
For what it's worth, I believe you can purchase extended warranty with them.

Soldato
That's funny that they're charging for an extended warranty that only goes to 5 years. Does no one build anything made to last anymore?

Apparently you have up to 6 years to make a claim for repair or replacement in the UK

It's a little confusing though, not sure sure how you'd go about trying to exercise that right.

Soldato
That's funny that they're charging for an extended warranty that only goes to 5 years. Does no one build anything made to last anymore?

Apparently you have up to 6 years to make a claim for repair or replacement in the UK

It's a little confusing though, not sure sure how you'd go about trying to exercise that right.
Class 2 products at best, if you want better you'll need to move to class 3 electronics.
A lot of stuff is generally class 1, not sure what unifi stuff is, but like I say I'd imagine 2 at best.

Soldato

I have just bitten the bullet and ordered a Switch Lite 8 POE, U6+, a bunch of patch cables, and 3x Flex Minis.

I only wanted one flex mini, but they only had 3 packs for some reason, so I'll be flogging two of them on MM shortly.

That and the pile of twin and earth, wire strippers and sockets already sat waiting for me downstairs, and the reel of CAT6 + crimper and RJ45s is probably my weekend accounted for :D
What's the twin and earth for.

My next faze is a doorbell but I have no idea where to put the door bell or how to route the cable. Fun times ahead.

Soldato
What's the twin and earth for.
I don't have a socket in the under stairs space, so I'm going to be putting a sparky hat on and installing one.
My next faze is a doorbell but I have no idea where to put the door bell or how to route the cable. Fun times ahead.
Routing cables is going to be a Pita for me, old victorian terrace, no wall cavities. Think I will end up just going through the exterior wall and running cable outside to get from the fibre ONT in my study to the under stairs.

The other option is lifting carpets and floorboards..... not sure I can be arsed frankly.

Soldato
I don't have a socket in the under stairs space, so I'm going to be putting a sparky hat on and installing one.

Routing cables is going to be a Pita for me, old victorian terrace, no wall cavities. Think I will end up just going through the exterior wall and running cable outside to get from the fibre ONT in my study to the under stairs.

The other option is lifting carpets and floorboards..... not sure I can be arsed frankly.
I'm hoping for the door bell to fit it in the corner between the wall and door frame, pass the cat6 between the frame and wall, then down the inside behind a bit of plastic trim, through the floor into the crawl space. Anywhere else would mean running cable externally.

Last edited:
Soldato

I don’t think the actual regulations themselves are confusing but you are correct, claiming in nigh-on impossible unless the manufacturer admits there was a fault at manufacture (as in a recall) or it’s something that a fault could not possibly have developed in, like a block of wood. And even if you do claim successfully the manufacturer or retailer can deduct something for use of the item while it was working. So if you replaced your router every 3 years and it broke after 18 months you’d only get paid 50% of the purchase price.

Soldato
Chap on reddit who repairs networking kit says some of the chips they're using aren't reliable enough for the price of the kit they're being installed in. He's seeing a lot of failures on a $5 chip in an $1800 device. He says for a few extra bucks a more reliable automotive grade one could have be used instead.

Apparently he's discovered an egregious issue with the new USW-48-PRO too, but will post that separately in the coming days.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chap on reddit who repairs networking kit says some of the chips they're using aren't reliable enough for the price of the kit they're being installed in. He's seeing a lot of failures on a $5 chip in an $1800 device. He says for a few extra bucks a more reliable automotive grade one could have be used instead.

Apparently he's discovered an egregious issue with the new USW-48-PRO too, but will post that separately in the coming days.
Automotive grade is generally just an increased temperature range.

Soldato
Automotive grade is generally just an increased temperature range.
That's what the guy is saying, these cheap SOCs are sat near some very hot running other chips that are running the guts of the machine.

Happy the network I am building out is many small, cheap parts rather than an all in one device now!

Soldato
Does he say what class is used?

For instance.
Commercial 0-70
Industrial -40-85
Military -55-125

You have some extra ones as well such as automotive (industrial extended) that does -40-105.

If what he is saying is true, then simply adding some extra cooling might be all that's needed, be it a simple stick on heatsink or even a tiny fan.

Never mind found it.
Max temp 125c, that sounds fine.
Ambient temp -20 to 55c.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it possible to have multiple wireless networks or even regular networks and have a VPN installed for one but not another?

We use a VPN for watching TV streaming services like BBC/ITV, but i don't really want to have it connected for everything. I was thinking of using my Xbox so it can't be installed locally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it possible to have multiple wireless networks or even regular networks and have a VPN installed for one but not another?

We use a VPN for watching TV streaming services like BBC/ITV, but i don't really want to have it connected for everything. I was thinking of using my Xbox so it can't be installed locally.

Yes, depending on the device you can always have at least 4 SSIDs per access point. You can also have multiple networks rather than just SSIDs to connect to. Yes, you can have VPNs routed for certain networks eg. Guest network with separate firewall rules.

Soldato

I’ve read that twice now and the guy has a point. It’s a device that really has no use outside of a ‘professional’ or ‘business’ environment so you might expect it to be constructed to be very reliable. On the other hand, EVERYTHING is built to a price. The hotter a device runs, generally the faster it will wear out. There are accelerated durability conditions where you ramp up the ambient temperature and the device dies faster.

The challenge back to the engineer concerned is “what compromises would you have made instead to hit the price point?”

You see a lot of high quality component claims on motherboards and you generally pay extra for better quality components. Do they actually extend the life of the board or just safeguard the manufacturer against warranty claims? It’s not an easy choice.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I had a UBNT component fail in use. DOA gear is certainly there, maybe 1 or 2 access points but to actually die in use, it’s not something I’ve seen.

Bottom line, it’s cheap gear for what it does. If you want something better, buy Arista, Meraki or HPE/Aruba and pay more.

Soldato
I’ve read that twice now and the guy has a point. It’s a device that really has no use outside of a ‘professional’ or ‘business’ environment so you might expect it to be constructed to be very reliable. On the other hand, EVERYTHING is built to a price. The hotter a device runs, generally the faster it will wear out. There are accelerated durability conditions where you ramp up the ambient temperature and the device dies faster.

The challenge back to the engineer concerned is “what compromises would you have made instead to hit the price point?”

You see a lot of high quality component claims on motherboards and you generally pay extra for better quality components. Do they actually extend the life of the board or just safeguard the manufacturer against warranty claims? It’s not an easy choice.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I had a UBNT component fail in use. DOA gear is certainly there, maybe 1 or 2 access points but to actually die in use, it’s not something I’ve seen.

Bottom line, it’s cheap gear for what it does. If you want something better, buy Arista, Meraki or HPE/Aruba and pay more.
Agree with this. I work where cost doesn't come into it, well be given a contract that says it needs to meet DO160 for instance and they want a warranty of say 7 years, we then design it to what we thing should cover the 7 years. You'll still get components failing sooner but not many.

I see unifi stuff as enthusiast home or small business.

Man of Honour

You can also policy route, as an example you can set up a rule so that all traffic to bbc.co.uk goes over NordVPN (or whatever provider/VPN you set up). It's a bit of a game at times to work out exactly which sites you need to add but you might find that a more suitable option versus routing an entire network over a VPN.

Perhaps even simpler, you could set up a policy route applied to the devices you want to access iPlayer/ITVX, so that when they access a specified region (the UK in this instance) they are routed over a VPN.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom