*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
You know it’s MASSIVE? It’s literally a foot tall, 5” wide and 2” thick. It’s BIG. It’s the replacement for the old UAP-AC-Mesh Pro which was also mahoosive. That said, it’s a fantastic outdoor access point.

Oh bloody hell, so it is! Oh well, scrap that! In the pics it looked like U6-IW size, but without the ports etc. Hey ho..

I have considered the Swiss Army Knife for a particular dead spot area

Last edited:
Soldato
In fairness I hadn’t noticed the mesh pro was gigantic either.

The Swiss is still WiFi 5 which is a bit ‘meh’ for a new(ish) device, the only advantage to me would be it looks a bit less sun damaged than my AC-Mesh :p

Man of Honour
UAP-FlexHD on my soffit covers my garden perfectly fine. It's only used for streaming music and YouTube etc and it's perfectly fine for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
UAP-FlexHD on my soffit covers my garden perfectly fine. It's only used for streaming music and YouTube etc and it's perfectly fine for that.

I had new soffits last summer, so still using the AC Mesh outside.

Reminds me I’ve got a my FlexHD spare in the loft.

Mmm I’ll dig that out later.

Soldato
Mmm must check what I have more often
U6+
U6-IW
FlexHD

Previously loaned out to a family member, but forgot I’d put them in the loft. Will have a look for surface wall box option for U6-IW and then prob drop USW-Flex-Mini

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone tested the new G5 Turrets yet?

No, we stopped testing 4MP black & white night vision cameras some time back. There was no point. None of our customers want them. It’s a £50 camera being sold for £100. I suppose I can see the point if you have too much money and you need to get rid of some but otherwise they’re REALLY ordinary cameras sold expensive because of the closed ecosystem.

I don’t want to come across as negative, but they’re a truly horrible value proposition.

Soldato
No, we stopped testing 4MP black & white night vision cameras some time back. There was no point. None of our customers want them. It’s a £50 camera being sold for £100. I suppose I can see the point if you have too much money and you need to get rid of some but otherwise they’re REALLY ordinary cameras sold expensive because of the closed ecosystem.

I don’t want to come across as negative, but they’re a truly horrible value proposition.
I place a lot of value on ease of setup now though, I don't want to mess about I just want to plug it in and it works.
What else is going to do that with my Dream Machine SE.

Soldato
I place a lot of value on ease of setup now though, I don't want to mess about I just want to plug it in and it works.
What else is going to do that with my Dream Machine SE.

Why do you think a Hikvision or Dahua system doesn’t ’just work’? The entire UniFi system is like a Chinese system from 5 years ago. I put a 2 camera Dahua system in for a customer 6 weeks back. The cheapest system was all he wanted. Two 4K colour night vision cameras at £76+VAT each and a basic 2-Series AI NVR (£89+VAT plus £70+VAT for a 4Tb Seagate Skyhawk Hard Drive) and most days he sends me a screen grab where the AI has misidentified the postman as middle aged rather than young. But it got right the fact that the postie was male, had a beard and glasses and left something in the frame of the picture (a parcel). That’s their bum-basic AI system. I saw a demo at the last Security Show where the NVR was grading shoppers into likely buyers based on how many bags they had, what shops the bags were from and what clothes they were wearing. UniFi is only just getting those sorts of features.

I’ve linked to the newest budget Dahua hunter-camera. It’s actually 2 4 MP full colour night vision cameras - a wide angle hunter camera that identifies and evaluates targets and a fast PTZ that can automatically pick up the highest value target and track it until it leaves the field of view. And if that target (person, car, bicycle) comes back into the field of view it will track it again. All by itself. And it’s under £300 with its mounting hardware. And it’s an alarm system too. And yiu really want to justify £100 for a simple 4 MP IR night vision camera through ease of use? Sorry, it’s just expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
interesting one, we had a UBB setup at customer site, by the sea, been about 2 years, had a call today to say bridge link was down, upon inspection:

:eek:

@WJA96 we need to replace this but cannot find a proper waterproof certified alternative, do we just get the same and put it down to a bird hitting it? 150m distance PtP.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah the sea will do that to things. Sometimes the most cost effective thing to do is to budget for having to replace it every 18 months, assuming the access up to it can be arranged without having to hire platforms or whatever. The UBB doesn't even have an IP rating, something like the Mimosa B24 is IP67 but £650 per end.

Soldato
I don’t think you have much choice but to replace like for like unless you want to replace both ends of the link.

In terms of what I KNOW is IP67 rated, Mimosa 5GHz CPE is pretty much 100% IP67, Dahua have their 5GHz DH-PFWB5-30ac with 2.4GHz failover which is IP66, MikroTik seem to think IP54 is watertight enough for most uses but I disagree down by the seaside, otherwise MikroTik 60GHz all day long.

Soldato
Why do you think a Hikvision or Dahua system doesn’t ’just work’? The entire UniFi system is like a Chinese system from 5 years ago. I put a 2 camera Dahua system in for a customer 6 weeks back. The cheapest system was all he wanted. Two 4K colour night vision cameras at £76+VAT each and a basic 2-Series AI NVR (£89+VAT plus £70+VAT for a 4Tb Seagate Skyhawk Hard Drive) and most days he sends me a screen grab where the AI has misidentified the postman as middle aged rather than young. But it got right the fact that the postie was male, had a beard and glasses and left something in the frame of the picture (a parcel). That’s their bum-basic AI system. I saw a demo at the last Security Show where the NVR was grading shoppers into likely buyers based on how many bags they had, what shops the bags were from and what clothes they were wearing. UniFi is only just getting those sorts of features.

I’ve linked to the newest budget Dahua hunter-camera. It’s actually 2 4 MP full colour night vision cameras - a wide angle hunter camera that identifies and evaluates targets and a fast PTZ that can automatically pick up the highest value target and track it until it leaves the field of view. And if that target (person, car, bicycle) comes back into the field of view it will track it again. All by itself. And it’s under £300 with its mounting hardware. And it’s an alarm system too. And yiu really want to justify £100 for a simple 4 MP IR night vision camera through ease of use? Sorry, it’s just expensive.

So I install that and it'll just integrate with unifi? It'll integrate with the Unifi doorbell and lights?
Or would it be a totally separate system.

I make CCTV cameras for a living, specs aren't everything.

I choose unifi so I could have everything on the same ecosystem.
Plug the camera in and click adopt.

Last edited:
Soldato

That sounds pretty interesting!

Soldato
we need to replace this but cannot find a proper waterproof certified alternative, do we just get the same and put it down to a bird hitting it? 150m distance PtP.

You aren't looking for waterproof if near the sea, you need something that has been salt-mist tested, or alternatively look for something like a NEMA rated enclosure that meets AP36X or similar.

Man of Honour
So I install that and it'll just integrate with unifi? It'll integrate with the Unifi doorbell and lights?
Or would it be a totally separate system.

I make CCTV cameras for a living, specs aren't everything.

I choose unifi so I could have everything on the same ecosystem.
Plug the camera in and click adopt.
Only UniFi cameras will work in the UniFi system, it’s locked.

Whilst not in the same league as Hikvision etc, it’s perfectly fine for my uses for home coverage, and it integrates really well with the rest of my UniFi system. I like it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t think you have much choice but to replace like for like unless you want to replace both ends of the link.

In terms of what I KNOW is IP67 rated, Mimosa 5GHz CPE is pretty much 100% IP67, Dahua have their 5GHz DH-PFWB5-30ac with 2.4GHz failover which is IP66, MikroTik seem to think IP54 is watertight enough for most uses but I disagree down by the seaside, otherwise MikroTik 60GHz all day long.

The Dahua 5GHz DH-PFWB5-30ac looks good, I see it's more geared towards CCTV (as per Dahua brand) but will this work for a normal network? PCs, printers etc, I assume it will as its got a 1Gb port.

Back
Top Bottom