*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
So I install that and it'll just integrate with unifi? It'll integrate with the Unifi doorbell and lights?
Or would it be a totally separate system.

I make CCTV cameras for a living, specs aren't everything.

I choose unifi so I could have everything on the same ecosystem.
Plug the camera in and click adopt.
In case you haven’t noticed, UniFi don’t publish a lot of specs for their cameras. That doesn’t mean they’re bad, it just means they’re not always sure what they’re selling this week and they don’t want to be tied down.

And yes, with pretty much any modern
NVR the available cameras appear in a menu screen and you just select the cameras to add and they appear on the screen and in the app.

I’m somewhat shocked that if you make surveillance cameras (unless you really do make closed circuit television cameras) that you’re not aware of UBNT’s camera sourcing antics. There is a lot of chatter on IPVM because they desperately want to live anything that’s not Chinese but UBNT keep on coming up with locked down systems that do poorly in testing.

Don’t you think if these were any good I wouldn’t be bundling them up and selling them? Higher price = higher % margin after all. But they’re just not that good.

Soldato
So I install that and it'll just integrate with unifi? It'll integrate with the Unifi doorbell and lights?
Or would it be a totally separate system.

It integrates with Dahua’s doorbell and Dahua’s lights and Dahua’s alarm system (which is basically a copy of Ajax). Dahua even have their own SDWAN, rack mount servers, video walls, interactive whiteboards, EVSEs, tiger chairs, handcuffs, shock batons, body armor, riot gear - they quite literally make EVERYTHING for security if you want that.

Between Dahua and Hikvision they supply the Chinese state with surveillance and security equipment. It’s a diverse range with many price points but they make some exceptional surveillance equipment and it works, every day, every time.

Soldato
It integrates with Dahua’s doorbell and Dahua’s lights and Dahua’s alarm system (which is basically a copy of Ajax). Dahua even have their own SDWAN, rack mount servers, video walls, interactive whiteboards, EVSEs, tiger chairs, handcuffs, shock batons, body armor, riot gear - they quite literally make EVERYTHING for security if you want that.

Between Dahua and Hikvision they supply the Chinese state with surveillance and security equipment. It’s a diverse range with many price points but they make some exceptional surveillance equipment and it works, every day, every time.
So to save £50 per camera and have "better" specs I'd have to waste half the functionality of my Dream Machine, and add even more equipment.

Sure it would be cheaper to just buy the £95 camera with specs that are plenty good enough.

I make a variety of camera system from fully closed systems (camera, monitor and wiring) to onvif cameras. Analogue cameras that sell for £8k+ the connectors we use are more expensive than most cameras. We're just starting with AI as well.

Anyway I didn't really ask which camera system to invest in I've already made that choice. Just wanted to know what the new turrets were like compared to say the bullets.

Soldato
So to save £50 per camera and have "better" specs I'd have to waste half the functionality of my Dream Machine, and add even more equipment.

Sure it would be cheaper to just buy the £95 camera with specs that are plenty good enough.

I make a variety of camera system from fully closed systems (camera, monitor and wiring) to onvif cameras. Analogue cameras that sell for £8k+ the connectors we use are more expensive than most cameras. We're just starting with AI as well.

Anyway I didn't really ask which camera system to invest in I've already made that choice. Just wanted to know what the new turrets were like compared to say the bullets.

I think it’s great you’re making something in the UK. Well done. It’s where the actual wealth is generated, not reselling something someone else made. The cost isn’t that relevant. Of course anything made in the UK will be expensive compared to mass produced stuff because we’re simply not cost effective due to the very high labour and raw material costs in the UK.

The Dream Machine (and SE) is not a good device. That’s why they have the NVRs now, because for security, putting all your recordings on one hard drive on your edge security device is a very bad idea. Just think about it. It’s literally the equivalent of a 1970’s music centre.

As for what surveillance system you chose personally, you chose poorly. You pay too much for something made very cheaply at a variety of factories in Vietnam. As I have pointed out many times in many threads, I could sell ANYTHING. Once. After looking at what’s in the market, I don’t sell UniFi Protect, even if the customer asks for it, because it’s not a good product and the customers would still expect support.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it’s great you’re making something in the UK. Well done. It’s where the actual wealth is generated, not reselling something someone else made. The cost isn’t that relevant. Of course anything made in the UK will be expensive compared to mass produced stuff because we’re simply not cost effective due to the very high labour and raw material costs in the UK.

The Dream Machine (and SE) is not a good device. That’s why they have the NVRs now, because for security, putting all your recordings on one hard drive on your edge security device is a very bad idea. Just think about it. It’s literally the equivalent of a 1970’s music centre.

As for what surveillance system you chose personally, you chose poorly. You pay too much for something made very cheaply at a variety of factories in Vietnam. As I have pointed out many times in many threads, I could sell ANYTHING. Once. After looking at what’s in the market, I don’t sell UniFi Protect, even if the customer asks for it, because it’s not a good product and the customers would still expect support.
How on earth can you say I choose poorly when you have no idea what my criteria were?
DM SE isn't a poor device at all, it's pretty much perfect for what I want, only thing out actually was missing from what I wanted was some 2.5gb LAN ports but nothing I looked at ticked every box but the Unifi system and DM SE ticked the most.

You don't seem protect that's fine plenty of people do are you saying they're all wrong, or could it be different people have different criteria for what they want.

Last edited:
Soldato
How on earth can you say I choose poorly when you have no idea what my criteria were?
DM SE isn't a poor device at all, it's pretty much perfect for what I want, only thing out actually was missing from what I wanted was some 2.5gb LAN ports but nothing I looked at ticked every box but the Unifi system and DM SE ticked the most.

You don't seem protect that's fine plenty of people do are you saying they're all wrong, or could it be different people have different criteria for what they want.

If your criteria were that you wanted to pay too much for very ordinary cameras, flakey software and an extremely high likelihood of being left high and dry when Robert Pera decides he doesn’t want to be in the surveillance and security market any more then you chose very well.

By any other yardstick, you choose poorly.

The UDM SE is a shocking product. It’s trying very hard to be everything to everyone and it doesn’t really succeed at anything properly.

Is it a very basic router? Yes.

Is it a fully featured router/firewall? No.

Is it actually a security appliance? No.

Is it a fully functional NVR? Maybe.

Are Ubiquiti moving away from the All-in-one approach? Yes.

Why? Because market research shows that when one part of the UDM/SE/Pro falls over, it all falls over and immediately after such a failure customers buy something else, from other vendors as discrete devices.

Soldato
If your criteria were that you wanted to pay too much for very ordinary cameras, flakey software and an extremely high likelihood of being left high and dry when Robert Pera decides he doesn’t want to be in the surveillance and security market any more then you chose very well.

The UDM SE is a shocking product. It’s trying very hard to be everything to everyone and it doesn’t really succeed at anything properly.

Why? Because market research shows that when one part of the UDM/SE/Pro falls over, it all falls over and immediately after such a failure customers buy something else, from other vendors as discrete devices.
I wanted an all in one, the only other option was the QNAP switch thing 1602p I think it was. But it was difficult to get and somewhat expensive.

I wanted as few things to manage as possible, everything in one being ideal for this Unifi is perfect.

I wanted a level above the basic routers you get from the ISP something I can keep and use no matter who I go with, security no special requirements, VLANs I wanted unifi makes that easy to do as well.
I wanted to be able to control the children's devices.

Security cameras are a secondary concern but a bonus that they too can be controlled in the same environment.

You seem to know what I need so what features am I missing that I need?
I don't understand your hard stance on this why does my requirements have to align with your views?

Anyway back on topic please, anyone with useful insight into the new G5 cameras turret preferably?

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I have a UDW / UDM-SE and UNVR-Pro along with a lot of other UnFi stuff. For the most part, they just work, could I have bought something better for each function, yes but I like the all-in-one solution for the home.

That said, I do keep looking at those OPNsense appliances.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I have a UDW / UDM-SE and UNVR-Pro along with a lot of other UnFi stuff. For the most part, they just work, could I have bought something better for each function, yes but I like the all-in-one solution for the home.
Same here, The SE and rest of the ecosystem performs perfectly fine, have done since I got them all, I've never had any software or other issues even on EA.

Soldato
I wanted an all in one, the only other option was the QNAP switch thing 1602p I think it was. But it was difficult to get and somewhat expensive.

I wanted as few things to manage as possible, everything in one being ideal for this Unifi is perfect.

I wanted a level above the basic routers you get from the ISP something I can keep and use no matter who I go with, security no special requirements, VLANs I wanted unifi makes that easy to do as well.
I wanted to be able to control the children's devices.

Security cameras are a secondary concern but a bonus that they too can be controlled in the same environment.

You seem to know what I need so what features am I missing that I need?
I don't understand your hard stance on this why does my requirements have to align with your views?

Anyway back on topic please, anyone with useful insight into the new G5 cameras turret preferably?
He loves to take the Mick out of ubiquiti users.

Soldato

I think you are being somewhat OTT here.

The products serve a purpose and they do it well for the price point and ecosystem they offer.

For most home/small business users a UDM SE with Wireless APs and IP Cameras makes for a very effective deployment.

Im not sure how you justify calling a UDM a basic router with no advanced firewall/routing options. Thats just plain hyperbole from any perspective.

Associate
Hi all,

I've just purchased a U6 Mesh to try and improve my WiFi coverage across the house. Currently my FTTP Plusnet router is sat behind my TV in the corner of the house, the red diagonal line is my TV.

Capture.png

The U6 Mesh is sat in front of the TV, plugged into the Plusnet router but I'm now actually getting worse speeds and coverage than I was from the Plusnet router under the TV cabinet.

Any ideas please?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom