*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
In the process of redecorating and sorting some networking, so likely going to be installing an AP at some point in the near future (currently running off a TP-Link Archer AC5400X router, but that's going to be getting tucked out of the way as it's a bit of a monstrosity!)

From reading on here, it seems Ubiquiti is very well thought of, so most likely going that direction.

Am I right in thinking I don't need a Ubiquiti gateway - I can just hook it up to a PoE switch connected to my existing network?

Will a single AP will be sufficient for a "normal sized" 3 bed terrace if positioned correctly (I should be able to get it pretty centrally on the ground floor ceiling)?

In terms of access points, the U7 Pro seems to be the latest & greatest, but I've read it has a fan (not ideal), and I'd need a new PoE switch as mine isn't PoE+

That would leave it between the U6 models - any particular recommendations?

Last edited:
Soldato
Am I right in thinking I don't need a Ubiquiti gateway - I can just hook it up to a PoE switch connected to my existing network?
Correct.

Will a single AP will be sufficient for a "normal sized" 3 bed terrace if positioned correctly (I should be able to get it pretty centrally on the ground floor ceiling)?
Centrally on the first floor would be better - the coverage behind the AP's isn't amazing so an AP mounted on the ground floor ceiling wouldn't be great for clients upstairs. Can you plan to have an AP per floor and initially just have one upstairs and see how coverage is. Then add an additional one if needed.

That would leave it between the U6 models - any particular recommendations?
I've recently installed a U6 Pro at my parents place and it's doing the job very well. Theirs is installed on the upstairs hallway right above the stairs so about as central as it could be.

Soldato
Centrally on the first floor would be better - the coverage behind the AP's isn't amazing so an AP mounted on the ground floor ceiling wouldn't be great for clients upstairs. Can you plan to have an AP per floor and initially just have one upstairs and see how coverage is. Then add an additional one if needed.

Thanks for the reply, the first floor ceiling would actually be a lot easier as I could just drop the cable through the attic rather than having to pull floorboards :)

It also gives the option of a wall mount (e.g. for the U6 Mesh) above the stairs.

I've recently installed a U6 Pro at my parents place and it's doing the job very well. Theirs is installed on the upstairs hallway right above the stairs so about as central as it could be.

That sounds ideal :)

If I did end up needing a second AP downstairs, the U6 Pro can be configured as part of a mesh network, despite the name?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi - the wait is finally over and I'm getting FTTP installed tomorrow,

My internet is currently provided via a very old HG612 FTTC router, im currently running a full Unifi setup with a UDM Pro, when the engineer lands how do I want the internet connection to be set up ?

Im a bit worried the engineer is not going to know what to do with my current setup

Thanks in advance

Soldato
They’ll install an ONT and give you an ISP router.

They’ll plug that all in and leave it to you to set up the UDM Pro as it’s your problem not theirs.

The ONT just has an eithernet port so you can unplug the ISP router and plug in the UDM pro. You’ll have to set the DHCP or PPoe setting per your ISPs requirements and you’ll be set.

Last edited:
Associate
They’ll install an ONT and give you an ISP router.

They’ll plug that all in and leave it to you to set up the UDM Pro as it’s your problem not theirs.

The ONT just has an eithernet port so you can unplug the ISP router and plug in the UDM pro. You’ll have to set the DHCP or PPoe setting per your ISPs requirements and you’ll be set.
So basically - ditch the ISP router and then ONT > UDM Wan1, update PPOE settings / login for my new provider, and all is good again ?

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, the first floor ceiling would actually be a lot easier as I could just drop the cable through the attic rather than having to pull floorboards :)

It also gives the option of a wall mount (e.g. for the U6 Mesh) above the stairs.

Wall mounting a dish shaped AP isn't a great idea Think of the beam pattern from the antenna as being like a cone coming out of the front of the AP. If you've got the AP on a wall then anything behind that wall isn't going to get a great signal. Ceiling mounting is highly recommended.

If I did end up needing a second AP downstairs, the U6 Pro can be configured as part of a mesh network, despite the name?

It can, but please don't. If you're going to use multiple AP's then have them all hard wired rather than meshing.

Soldato
Wall mounting a dish shaped AP isn't a great idea Think of the beam pattern from the antenna as being like a cone coming out of the front of the AP. If you've got the AP on a wall then anything behind that wall isn't going to get a great signal. Ceiling mounting is highly recommended.

It can, but please don't. If you're going to use multiple AP's then have them all hard wired rather than meshing.

I might be misunderstanding the whole meshing thing, I would have both APs hard wired, but I thought mesh just referred to it appearing as a single WiFi network with devices able to move seamlessly between AP depending on signal strength? In my defence I haven't done much with infrastructure for 10+ years :p *goes to do some reading*

Associate
I might be misunderstanding the whole meshing thing, I would have both APs hard wired, but I thought mesh just referred to it appearing as a single WiFi network with devices able to move seamlessly between AP depending on signal strength? In my defence I haven't done much with infrastructure for 10+ years :p *goes to do some reading*
Mesh generally refers to when an AP's connection is wireless, both to the other APs and back to the main router/switch. You want (as you've said you'll be doing) to have the APs hard wired. In this way the APs will 'talk' back to the router, rather than between themselves.

It's a bit of a confusing situation really, as the APs need to be hard wired anyway, in the sense that they need to be powered by PoE, and so running them back to the router/switch, either by direct connection to a PoE port, or by use of a PoE injector, achieves exactly what you want to do. To have them PoE powered, and then to mesh them wirelessly is IMO more hassle anyway!

Soldato

Ah, so not meshing then :) Meshing is when you have access points linked wirelessly.

Associate
Started having issues with my network, seems to be the Virgin Hub3.
Thinking of putting that into modem mode and getting my old TP_link Archer AC1900 out of the attic - running X2 AC LR and X1 Lite (covering the whole house and garden).
Will probably also get a Cloud Key Gen2.

Would I be better off replacing the Archer with an Ubiquiti Edge Router X?

Current fibre is 700mb, will upgrade to 1gb at end of contract.

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Started having issues with my network, seems to be the Virgin Hub3.
Thinking of putting that into modem mode and getting my old TP_link Archer AC1900 out of the attic - running X2 AC LR and X1 Lite (covering the whole house and garden).
Will probably also get a Cloud Key Gen2.

Would I be better off replacing the Archer with an Ubiquiti Edge Router X?

Current fibre is 700mb, will upgrade to 1gb at end of contract.

Thanks

What issues are you having? As a router the Virgin boxes are generally fine, it's the Wi-Fi where the problems usually come. Personally I'd disable Wi-Fi on the Virgin box and have something else (a UniFi device - that's what this thread is for after all) doing the Wi-Fi.

Chances are there's no need to get a new router.

Associate
Can't seem to disable the WiFi in router mode and when trying to connect to the IPs it often times out.
Worked fine previously, just these last few weeks had issues.
Also thought the cloud key would give me better functionality as well.

Soldato
The Cloud Key is just a controller for UniFi devices. If you did as you suggested and bought an Edge Router X then the Cloud Key would be useless. The Edge Router is a Ubiquiti product but it isn't from the UniFi range so you can't connect the ER-X to a Cloud Key and configure/manage it from there.

The TP-Link Archer AC1900 is itself a router so if you wanted to put the VM Hub into modem mode you likely could would equipment you already have.

Back
Top Bottom