*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Ok thanks.
Would I use the cloud key via the Archer, or should I get a UXG instead?
Sorry for the noob questions, not my forte unfortunately.

The Cloud Key is only of any use if you have certain UniFi devices such as an Access Point, Switch or some of the gateways. Some gateways (UDM for example) have the Controller built in so no need for a Cloud Key. Other gateways (such as the UXG-Lite) will connect to a Cloud Key and are managed from there.

If you just have the Archer then buying a Cloud Key would be a waste of money - it'd be sitting there doing nothing.

If you want to get a new gateway then get a new gateway but as the Archer is itself a router you likely have everything you need already to put the VM Hub into modem mode and offload the routing to the Archer. It's worth a try I'd say, you can do it without spending any money.

Soldato
Started having issues with my network, seems to be the Virgin Hub3.
Thinking of putting that into modem mode and getting my old TP_link Archer AC1900 out of the attic - running X2 AC LR and X1 Lite (covering the whole house and garden).
Will probably also get a Cloud Key Gen2.

Would I be better off replacing the Archer with an Ubiquiti Edge Router X?

Current fibre is 700mb, will upgrade to 1gb at end of contract.

Thanks
Edge Router X would be a very bad choice now for what you have and your needs. I don't think they can hit Gb speeds with any fun stuff active and they sit outside your existing UniFi ecosystem as well.

The UCG-Ultra however... Sounds like it would fit the bill perfectly and it's relatively cheap. It'll route 1GB with IDS/IDP and has buult in UniFi controller so you wouldn't need a cloud key as the UCG takes care of that for you.

The SH3's are a bit pants though so I'd be snapping at VM to upgrade that for me due to a "cough" fault "cough" or when you recontract you'd likely get the latest anyway to support Gig speeds.

Associate
Yes.

Check the relevant settings with your provider, they may also use DHCP, no login/password require then.
hi i have my fibre installed, and they have installed their own router - its configured as DCHP, while my current setup is PPoE - so do i just swap the setting and move the cable ? - thanks in advance

Man of Honour
hi i have my fibre installed, and they have installed their own router - its configured as DCHP, while my current setup is PPoE - so do i just swap the setting and move the cable ? - thanks in advance
Yeah, in the UniFi Gateway just look at the WAN configuration and change it as appropriate.

Last edited:
Associate
I know. Why is that a big benefit for home use?
It's mostly because you'll need it enabled for your home network to connect out to ipv6 destinations. This bypasses any CGNAT (which might be slow / kludgey), and can sometimes have better performance. With hosting providers starting to charge for ipv4 addresses, if you're getting a VPS or similar, there's a few which provide an ipv6 address for free, but charge extra for ipv4.

It's only going one way, basically.

Vodafone is similar in that it only gives ipv6 addresses to its own routers. Not 100% sure why but it seems to be down to how Vodafone have implemented ipv6 which, to my inexpert eyes, is a complete bodge

Hyperoptic seems very similar, sadly!

Associate
Hyperoptic seems to vary depending on when the network was built. I've never had an issue getting an IPv6 allocation.

For me I noticed that I needed to connect the Hyperoptic router, and after that IPv6 would work on my Mikrotik.
If they changed any settings (e.g. when I agreed to pay a lil more and go from 150 to 250mbit), IPv6 would break until the Hyperoptic router was seen again. No settings changed, it was very bizarre!

Associate
Perfect, thanks, I will give it a try.
Ordered a UCG, should arrive tomorrow.
Many thanks for the advice
UCG arrived today, installed it this evening, worked like a dream.
WiFi happy and fully functional again.
Think the Hub3 is on its way out though, light should be magenta in modem mode but is more a red colour (it is not hot or overheating).
Thanks again for the advice, saved me wasting a wedge on things I didn't need.

Back
Top Bottom