*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

UCG arrived today, installed it this evening, worked like a dream.
WiFi happy and fully functional again.
Think the Hub3 is on its way out though, light should be magenta in modem mode but is more a red colour (it is not hot or overheating).
Thanks again for the advice, saved me wasting a wedge on things I didn't need.
Just noticed my little QNAP TS230 is no longer accessible on the network.
I cannot even login to it using Qfinder.
Must be something on the UCG that is blocking it, any advice please?
Thanks

Last edited:
Just noticed my little QNAP TS230 is no longer accessible on the network.
I cannot even login to it using Qfinder.
Must be something on the UCG that is blocking it, any advice please?
Thanks

Doubt it's the UCG blocking anything. Traffic on the LAN side of things won't touch the routing engine.

Most likely it's IP addressing that's the problem. Does the QNAP have a static IP address? What is it? What IP address does another client on your network have? My guess is that the UCG is using a different IP range to your old router.

If that's the case then there's a few ways you can fix it, personally I'd give a laptop (or PC, or similar client) a temporary static IP address that's in the same IP range as the QNAP. Log into the QNAP and give it an IP address in the same range as the laptop had before you gave it that temporary static IP address. Remove the temporary static IP on the laptop and set it back to DHCP. Job done.

It won’t route RFC1918 addresses to the internet.

It'll try. It doesn't care if it's an RFC1918 address or an RFC 5735 address. It'll do whatever the routing table tells it to - 0.0.0.0 via the ISP for any cases where there isn't a more specific route in the table.

The end result is the same really, the traffic will get blackholed but the UCG will try to route it.

+1 works a treat for me too! I prefer it doesn't have the controller. I run my UniFi controller in an Unraid docker on my home server.

That's good to hear that it's a good piece of kit regardless. I just don't have a controller so would need something to do that side of things.

I'm looking at the UG-Max and a pair of U6+ or Pro's to boost my home network.

That's good to hear that it's a good piece of kit regardless. I just don't have a controller so would need something to do that side of things.

I'm looking at the UG-Max and a pair of U6+ or Pro's to boost my home network.

Yeah been running the last 6 weeks or so flawlessly, on a 1Gb symmetrical FTTP line.

I'm looking for advice from anyone with first hand experience of throughput on a Cloud Gateway Ultra (UCG-Ultra) when used with 1Gb FTTP from an Openreach provider using PPPoE (e.g. Vodafone, Aquiss, Plusnet, Zen etc). I keep reading comments here and elsewhere suggesting throughput maxes out at 500-800Mbps when using PPPoE or perhaps it's only with PPPoE and IDS on. The official Unifi tech spec for the UCG-Ultra says;

Code:
IDS/IPS throughput 1 Gbps*

*Measured with iPerf3 on a DHCP network. Performance may be reduced with PPPoE depending on ISP implementation.

The comments seem to suggest that it's only an issue with PPPoE and that providers using DHCP such as Sky and TalkTalk don't have the issue but I'd rather not limit myself to only those providers.

The replies are often contradictory due to the variations in people's setups. It seems some ISP's implementations of PPPoE fare better than others. There's also the issue of users on the same provider using different backbones (e.g. Vodafone offering Openreach and CityFibre). Another issue is what if any IDS/IPS features are switched on.

I've got 2 Unifi APs and like the management interface so don't particularly want to look at alternatives like the GL.iNet Flint 2 or any of the TP Link stuff. I also don't want to use a modem in bridge mode and have to deal with Double NAT due to it making my public facing self hosted stuff harder to access.

I'm currently shopping around for 1Gb FTTP. My area is served by Openreach. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Links to a few posts discussing the issue;
UniFi forum
Reddit
Aquiss forum

Last edited:
I use PPPoE ( BT 1GB ) with the Gateway Ultra, pretty sure the bandwidth only took a hit once IDS was enabled. Give me 10 mins and i'll give you some results.

Suspicious Activity set to auto ( notify/sensitivity Medium ) I average about 730Mb/s , disabled I get 835Mb/s . So you do loose some bandwidth as expected.

Incidentally using Opnsense via VM/Proxmox or on an Elitedesk G6 on the same BT service ,I would get 940Mb/s throughput lol, I think I need to switch back instead of following the crowd.

Last edited:
That’s a real shame. UniFi’s 1Gbps routing claim with IPS/IDS enabled shouldn’t have such a big caveat. The fact it can’t manage 1Gbps with it disabled (using PPPoE) is very poor.

Thanks for testing for me. I really appreciate it. I’m sure I’ve seen some comments from people saying they are getting full throughput so I’d appreciate others input.

Back
Top Bottom