*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Got the urge to tinker with my network at home, currently running an AC88U but took delivery of my first Ubiquiti gear yesterday:
  • AP-AC Pro
  • Security Gateway
  • US-8-60W 8 Port Switch
So far, I haven't had chance to hook anything up yet, quite impressed with the build quality and I'm still trying to decide, do I host the controller software on AWS, dump onto a Pi or try run within docker on my NAS - leaning towards AWS atm.

I moved my AWS controller back home to a Ubuntu VM - even powered off it was costing £5 or £6 a month (after the free first year)

Soldato
Currently running 5.7.25 (happened in previously versions as well) and for some reason my www uptime keeps resetting to zero, when it happens I don't actually lose connectivity put the dials on the dashboard go orange and the counter resets.

usg_zpsibknulky.png

More annoying than anything else, the USG is connect to my FTTC by a Huawei 612 via PPPoe.

Anybody know what might be going on?

Cheers

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Don
On your USG, you probably have a custom IP set as the ping server, set it back to the default UBNT (then you can switch back).

Or use a named domain instead of IP.

Could use..

1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com

This is in..

USG
Config
Advanced
Echo Server

Soldato
Getting annoyed now!

Got my Pi up and running, backed up the ubnt settings on my laptop. Connected to the pi and restored the backup.

Worked for 5 minutes and then suddenly the USG decided to disconnect itself and go awol. Just spent about 30 mins messing about getting it all up and running again on my laptop!

Associate
On a separate note. There are 2 Ethernet ports on the access points. I use one for power but could the other be used to connect another device to the network?
Not something I've ever tried or used but I think it is a pass through Ethernet port (non-PoE), so you could in theory connect another device to it.

Associate
On a separate note. There are 2 Ethernet ports on the access points. I use one for power but could the other be used to connect another device to the network?

You could but I wouldn't due to the obvious limitations unless the other device could never use too much bandwidth e.g. a sub 100Mb camera.

Soldato
Got the urge to tinker with my network at home, currently running an AC88U but took delivery of my first Ubiquiti gear yesterday:
  • AP-AC Pro
  • Security Gateway
  • US-8-60W 8 Port Switch
So far, I haven't had chance to hook anything up yet, quite impressed with the build quality and I'm still trying to decide, do I host the controller software on AWS, dump onto a Pi or try run within docker on my NAS - leaning towards AWS atm.

Can I strongly suggest before you start anything you watch one of the Unifi setup videos on YouTube?

I personally like the CrossTalk Solutions one. Although Unifi is really easy, it’s also really different to most other systems and to avoid posting in 24 hours about “how to adopt your USG into your network”, watch the video and then do it right first time.

Associate
Hi,

Have setup a Ubiquiti network for a few months now and want to step up security a bit so can anyone advise the best way for this.

I want 1 wifi network (5Ghz) which has no restrictions
1 wifi network (2.4Ghz) which only enables internet for browsing (basically guest network? for children under 10)
1 wifi network (2.4Ghz) same as above but accessable on my home network (media players via Plex ect)
If possible 1 wifi network (hidden) for VPN.

I'm fairly new to all this so only have basic knowledge.

Recently have had issues with my ip address being outside of the UK (no VPN connection) ... i.e banks blocking accounts due to logging in from outside the UK (bank confirms the ip is my VM connection) iplayer ect.

Have also noticed that the wifi seems a bit on the sluggish side even though there is 90+% signal around the house.

Approximately in the evening there is about 15+ devices most of them wireless.

Would appreciate any advice

cheers

Currently:

Vivid 350 (Cloudfare DNS)

Cloudkey
Ubiquiti USG
US-8-60w switch
Netgear GS308P (upstairs)
2x UAP Pro (1 downstairs, 1 Upstairs)
Pi3 running Pi hole.

Back
Top Bottom