*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my home network and have narrowed my shopping list down to the following (probably a typical list for a home setup);
  • 2 x UAP-AC-Lite Access Points
  • 1 x US-8-60W Managed Switch
  • 1 x USG
  • 1 x Cloud Key
Is there anything I should watch out for? Any gotchas? I'm planning to ceiling mount the APs (cable running issues not withstanding) and use POE. I have 200/20 FTTP via BT and have an OpenReach ONT. I'd like to create separate wireless networks for various groups of devices (Sonos, Smart Home tech, kids devices, etc) and I use IPv6.

There are lots of threads on the UBNT Unifi forums about IP v6. I would strongly suggest that you research that aspect of the project before you sink £100+ into a USG. Everything else looks fine. They US-8-60W is only 4 ports PoE and you will need to make sure you get the very latest AP-AC-Lites to make sure they are 48V because the US-8-60W cannot Power 24V Unifi Access points. Which is bizarre, but that’s how it is. Anything made in the last year will 100% be compatible. If you’re shy of ceiling-mounting then can I suggest you take a look at the AP-AC-IW? It’s an AP-AC-Lite in a wall-mounted format and it has the extra bonus of giving two RJ45 1GbE connections at the access point, one of which is PoE so you can power a US-8 if you need more switching capacity.

It also might be worth keeping an eye open in Member’s Market over the next 24 hours ;)

Soldato
There are lots of threads on the UBNT Unifi forums about IP v6. I would strongly suggest that you research that aspect of the project before you sink £100+ into a USG. Everything else looks fine. They US-8-60W is only 4 ports PoE and you will need to make sure you get the very latest AP-AC-Lites to make sure they are 48V because the US-8-60W cannot Power 24V Unifi Access points. Which is bizarre, but that’s how it is. Anything made in the last year will 100% be compatible. If you’re shy of ceiling-mounting then can I suggest you take a look at the AP-AC-IW? It’s an AP-AC-Lite in a wall-mounted format and it has the extra bonus of giving two RJ45 1GbE connections at the access point, one of which is PoE so you can power a US-8 if you need more switching capacity.

It also might be worth keeping an eye open in Member’s Market over the next 24 hours ;)

Thanks for the advice. I can't see many major issues with IPv6. I don't use it much to be honest, it's mainly to avoid NAT issues with multiple games consoles in the house. I've got an electrician coming out to help plan with running cables. It's a new build and I'd ideally like to ceiling mount the APs but that obviously depends on being able to run the cables. I have 2 or 3 network points in the wall already from converting the internal phone wiring points to network points (the cable used was Cat6, just swapped the faceplates).

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. I can't see many major issues with IPv6. I don't use it much to be honest, it's mainly to avoid NAT issues with multiple games consoles in the house. I've got an electrician coming out to help plan with running cables. It's a new build and I'd ideally like to ceiling mount the APs but that obviously depends on being able to run the cables. I have 2 or 3 network points in the wall already from converting the internal phone wiring points to network points (the cable used was Cat6, just swapped the faceplates).

Then to add an AP-AC-IW all you do is swap the faceplate for an AP-AC-IW. No additional cabling required.

Caporegime
What’s everyone’s opinion on the Unifi Cloud Key Controller ?,

I currently have my controller software running on a Mac mini - but it’s the only thing that is actually running on it

Thinking of getting a cloud key controller and retiring the Mac Mini - might sell it

I already have a Unifi USG, Unifi 16 & 8 Port Switch, Unifi AC-Pro & LTE

Thoughts ?
They're good little devices to be honest.

Soldato
What’s everyone’s opinion on the Unifi Cloud Key Controller ?,

I currently have my controller software running on a Mac mini - but it’s the only thing that is actually running on it

Thinking of getting a cloud key controller and retiring the Mac Mini - might sell it

I already have a Unifi USG, Unifi 16 & 8 Port Switch, Unifi AC-Pro & LTE

Thoughts ?

Around £70 for one, IMO costs too much for what it is, as stated, it can be run on a pi, half the cost.

I run mine in a docker within Unraid, works spot on.

Soldato
Not sure if this should go in here or not. But its kinda related and you guys know networks..

I have a Av Access HDbaseT hdmi over ethernet system... But I can't get it to work over my network, and I'm thinking its poss due to the Unifi switches.

If I connect direct via a cat6 patch cable it works and the POE works fine.... However when I move it upstairs into my office they dont seem to find each other. and the receiver doesn't power up.

I'm conncecting the transmitter into a wall plate theat goes to a patch panel then into a unifi 24 port poe+ switch. Then out of the switch back to the patch panel upto the loft. Where it is the distributed to the floor below via a 8 port unifi poe+ switch..

Any ideas guys... I'm trying to get this sorted for the footy tomorrow......

cheers

Soldato
Looks like it can't.... I need to connect direct...Not an issue really as I can loop in the patch panel....HDMI over IP is what I really need

Soldato
Around £70 for one, IMO costs too much for what it is, as stated, it can be run on a pi, half the cost.

I run mine in a docker within Unraid, works spot on.

For me, (and I’m buying a lot of UBNT kit so they don’t cost me £70) I wouldn’t put a Unifi install in without a Cloud Key just because it’s so easy to plug it in, use the UBNT discovery tool to find it and Bob’s your father’s brother. It’s just REALLY easy. Yes, it’s possible to do it cheaper, but when time literally is money, it’s dirt cheap.

Soldato
For me, (and I’m buying a lot of UBNT kit so they don’t cost me £70) I wouldn’t put a Unifi install in without a Cloud Key just because it’s so easy to plug it in, use the UBNT discovery tool to find it and Bob’s your father’s brother. It’s just REALLY easy. Yes, it’s possible to do it cheaper, but when time literally is money, it’s dirt cheap.

Agreed, I love the CloudKeys although sometimes they seem to drop offline.

Have about 20 bound to my account and I couldn’t go without them.

Soldato
Its a known issue...Think thye should make it a little better known... But can't win them all...

It has an ethernet fallover mode or something...

EDIT:

unifi forums said:
HDBaseT isn't Ethernet, it just uses the same cabling (and can fall back to Ethernet). If you plug HDBaseT into an Ethernet switch, it switches to Ethernet Fallback Mode, which disables all the HDBaseT signals. Where you need HDBaseT, you can't pass it through any Ethernet switch.

Associate
me and a friend are looking at trialling a couple of these for the price

Ubiquiti NS-5ACL over about 800m - we have been using an older nanostation and a 100meg dish for testing over a shorter distance!

Fingers crossed we can get up to the aerial where they will be mounted (this will be 2 mounted although 1 would be more than enough) with a toughswitch in the loft to power them

If they work great each end of the link will get them aswell - although 4 of them get a touch expensive!

Soldato
rah^ said:
Ubiquiti NS-5ACL over about 800m - we have been using an older nanostation and a 100meg dish for testing over a shorter distance!

Fingers crossed we can get up to the aerial where they will be mounted (this will be 2 mounted although 1 would be more than enough) with a toughswitch in the loft to power them

If they work great each end of the link will get them aswell - although 4 of them get a touch expensive!

Nice. I had to look that one up as the airMAX range isn’t something I’ve played with at all. I take it from the fact that you’re using 4 that you can aggregate the two streams?

Does it also work as a straightforward access point?

Soldato
Just ordered a ac mesh unit to cover the back garden. Tomorrow's task is to run a cable to it

Shame these can't be locked into place to stop theft. I'm going to have to strategically mount it so it can't be seen from the side street over the fence

Associate
There’s not much to tinker with if your adding it to existing network of unifi :D

If you aren’t, Enjoy mate !

No current “friends” for it to join as yet.

Actually, set up couldn’t have been simpler than using the Ubiquiti app.

The longest part was waiting for the firmware to update!

Back
Top Bottom