*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
How do I route back to my modem on eth0?

I can ping it from CLI, just can't ssh or route from the network on eth1.

Code:
ubnt@ubnt:~$ show interfaces 
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface    IP Address                        S/L  Description                 
---------    ----------                        ---  -----------                 
br0          192.168.1.254/24                  u/u  Local Bridge                
eth0         192.168.2.2/24                    u/u  Internet (PPPoE)            
eth1         -                                 u/u  Local Bridge                
eth2         -                                 u/D  Local Bridge                
lo           127.0.0.1/8                       u/u                              
             ::1/128                          
pppoe0       xx.xx.xx.xx                    u/u

The modem needs to know how to route back to your LAN address space so you'll probably need to add a static route.

If your modem happens to be a Draytek 130 then add a route to the specific /24, don't add a default route. Your internet connection would still work if you did and you'd be able to ping the modem but the web interface won't respond. Absolutely no idea why, it seems to be a quirk of the 130.

Soldato
Despite having 2 x 8 port Ubnt switches in my study I was getting tight on ethernet ports (having added an EE femtocell I had no free ports other than the passthru port on the back of my SIP phone) so I bought the Ubnt UF-MM-1G SFP modules and a 1m LC-LC multimode fibre patch lead to connect the switches together.

Nice easy job once I rememberd that there needs to be a crossover on the fibre cable.

Now I've freed up 2 ethernet ports which will come in very handy.

Last edited:
Soldato
been on the ubnt forums today and seems there not much love for the LR model in the states

everyone seems to be recommending the Pro

is it because Houses in the states are made from wood so no need for LR?

Associate
Only reason I ended up going for the AC Pro version was that it was the only model to support "proper" PoE

Meant that I didn't need to mess around using additional injectors etc.. I like kit that sticks to standards

Associate
I posted this in my spec me a router thread but thought more people with the ubiquiti unifi might see it here ...

I tested my pro in various locations but it will not cover the house, I have changed the radio settings to "Transmit Power" to High in the AP configuration but this made no difference. I am testing this as if it is ceiling mounted, I can't find a setting to say whether it is ceiling or wall mount so it doesn't care?

Are there any other settings I missed to help with coverage?

I may need to order another unit to go with this, maybe the LR version.

Soldato
been on the ubnt forums today and seems there not much love for the LR model in the states

everyone seems to be recommending the Pro

is it because Houses in the states are made from wood so no need for LR?

No because LR is kinda pointless because WiFi is 2 way so all because you're boosting the antenna in the AP you are not boosting anything on the devices that are connecting too it.. Most people recommend the Lite because unless you A. 3x3 devices B. want to to mount outside or C. have a lot of clients all connecting to that one AP it is over kill.

Soldato
I posted this in my spec me a router thread but thought more people with the ubiquiti unifi might see it here ...

I tested my pro in various locations but it will not cover the house, I have changed the radio settings to "Transmit Power" to High in the AP configuration but this made no difference. I am testing this as if it is ceiling mounted, I can't find a setting to say whether it is ceiling or wall mount so it doesn't care?

Are there any other settings I missed to help with coverage?

I may need to order another unit to go with this, maybe the LR version.

We did kinda say that one device wouldn't cut it there are no other variables to adjust you have changed the position and transmit power. The signal is weakest out the back of the device so if they are centrally mounted it would be best to mount on the ceiling.

Only reason I ended up going for the AC Pro version was that it was the only model to support "proper" PoE

Meant that I didn't need to mess around using additional injectors etc.. I like kit that sticks to standards

The LR and Lite will be able to accept standard POE as well as passive POE soon.

Last edited:
Associate
We did kinda say that one device wouldn't cut it there are no other variables to adjust you have changed the position and transmit power. The signal is weakest out the back of the device so if they are centrally mounted it would be best to mount on the ceiling.

Thanks, I am mounting the AP on the ceiling, I am about to survey again but it looks like I need 3 to cover the house and achieve a decent dBm in all areas.

I may return this pro and get 3 lite.

Soldato
Just ordered myself a UAP-AC-LR to replace one of the original UAP's.

Was going to get a basic UAP-AC-Lite as I needed an extra UAP to do my mums house but since the site I went on had 21% off the LR's it made it £2(ish) more it was a no brainer.

Man of Honour
The modem needs to know how to route back to your LAN address space so you'll probably need to add a static route.

If your modem happens to be a Draytek 130 then add a route to the specific /24, don't add a default route. Your internet connection would still work if you did and you'd be able to ping the modem but the web interface won't respond. Absolutely no idea why, it seems to be a quirk of the 130.

Cheers, I'll have a look this week. Yes, it's a 130.

Associate
Does anyone know if the current unifi APs support 820.11k and 802.11r, I see they have a zero handoff feature but I would prefer standardised support to allow for VoIP calls when roaming?

I see there is a beta program so if anyone is part of this is it being tested?

Soldato
Hi Guys,

Those of you who are running a local controller, what was required to set it up?

My AC Pro came with 3 years free cloud access, but i would like to setup and manager it locally.

Have you just gone out and bought a Cloud Key Controller or just downloaded to controller software and installed it locally?

I tried that but my account fails to login during the setup. I have 2 servers running 24/7 so would install the software on one of them once up and running.

Cheers

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I personally run a Cloud Key with my setup, as running the software in a VM was inconvient.

Discovery Process for the Cloud Key.

1. Use Chrome and add the "Ubiquiti Discovery Tool" from the App Web Store
2. Load tool and Click in the top right "Unifi Family"
3. Click Find Cloud Key.

Setup after that is very simlar to a normal UniFi controller setup, i'm also assuming you have a DHCP running at the point this device is powered on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ordered 2x LRs and fitted one last night

Fitted upstairs on the ceiling in hall way which is around the centre of the house and im shocked at the range this little thing has.

im tempted to return 1 LR and get a Pro for a staggered install downstairs to give all the house an even coverage.

Soldato
Make sure you run a scan to see which frequencys are least contested in your area. If you live in a area with little interference you might even be able to turn on the higher bandwidth modes.

Soldato

I've seen pictures on a couple of sites of the Lite box and it had a sticker on the front on the corner that said something like "Now compatible with 24v poe and 48v at" Can't find them now though as i didn't think to save them. And it seems logical that they would do the same to the LR.

Back
Top Bottom