*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
If it goes GA at a higher price I would try just asking to get it at the EA price as they cancelled the order for sake of an email would be worth a try

GA Product <> EA Product

EA Product was traditionally sold at a substantial discount to get people to test what was often VERY ropey beta equipment. You get no warranty, no rights, nothing. Technically we can't even discuss the EA programme although that rule seems to have gone by-the-by.

It's very common for there to be multiple iterations of EA equipment, getting closer and closer to the GA device as the EA testing goes on. The people with the Rev 1.0 units don't get an upgrade to Rev x.x unless there is something seriously broken with Rev 1.0 etc. They did replace all the beta US-16-XGs because they were properly duff and only half the 10GBaseT ports would work at any time.

The EA programme isn't supposed to be a way to get cheap gear. It's a way to get kit into the hands of people who test it and contribute to the development process. And if you're a good, methodical, contributor then sometimes you get bumped up to the next tiers of the programme. Have a look at the EA threads on the forums and some users have suspiciously high knowledge levels when they 'unbox' their EA equipment on the day after release.

By all means, ask for the GA parts at the EA price but don't be surprised when you get met with a deafening silence. Personally, I'd take that 15% discount and buy something else. That's quite a chunk of money off a USW-Enterprise-XG-24.

Soldato
Well looks like I will be going for a UDM-Pro, I’ve got BT full fibre service don’t want to see it limited.

I've recently got 1gig FTTP service with a UDM. With IDS/IPS and DPI off, I can get 900meg which is about right. With it all on, you'll get about 600 on the UDM, I've recently picked up a UDM-Pro so hoping that'll get me the same speed with everything on.

Associate
I've recently got 1gig FTTP service with a UDM. With IDS/IPS and DPI off, I can get 900meg which is about right. With it all on, you'll get about 600 on the UDM, I've recently picked up a UDM-Pro so hoping that'll get me the same speed with everything on.
I thought they had the same CPU, just double the RAM in the Pro? Before I jumped ship from Ubiquiti for routing I remember reading some comments that the UDM Pro will max out around 650 with IDS/IPS on.

This is one of the many reasons I gave up on Ubiquiti Unifi routers as they under deliver on performance in QoS, IDS/IPS, VPN type usage. Although the Cortex A57 1.7Ghz is far faster than their older gen routers (ignoring hardware offload) when I looked at speed compared to a small appliance running a now four year old mobile Intel CPU the difference was way more than I expected. For example my current router's old i5-8250u is 5 times quicker single and multi-threaded than the A57)

The problem is these newer Unifi routers have taken so long to go GA and get even basic features that they're already too slow for a growing number of users.

Soldato
I thought they had the same CPU, just double the RAM in the Pro? Before I jumped ship from Ubiquiti for routing I remember reading some comments that the UDM Pro will max out around 650 with IDS/IPS on.

This is one of the many reasons I gave up on Ubiquiti Unifi routers as they under deliver on performance in QoS, IDS/IPS, VPN type usage. Although the Cortex A57 1.7Ghz is far faster than their older gen routers (ignoring hardware offload) when I looked at speed compared to a small appliance running a now four year old mobile Intel CPU the difference was way more than I expected. For example my current router's old i5-8250u is 5 times quicker single and multi-threaded than the A57)

The problem is these newer Unifi routers have taken so long to go GA and get even basic features that they're already too slow for a growing number of users.

I believe some of the issue relates to no hardware PPPoE offloading, but I’ve spoken to a few people in my situation where the UDMP is working fine. I got the UDMP fairly cheap so by the time I move on my UDM it’ll be quite a cheap change - plus I want to try out Protect.

If it doesn’t work out I may look at a pfSense/OPNSense/Untangle box down the line, but it gives me something to play with for now :)

Soldato

I’m no fan of UBNT routers but the UDM-Pro will route well into multi-gigabit speeds with everything turned on. The UDM should be able to route gigabit, again, with everything turned on. The UDR isn’t as oomphy and you’re looking at 650-700!bps with IPS/IDS switched on.

Im not sure what the complaint is here? If you want to route gigabit traffic with EVERYTHING on then you need some serious horsepower and you’re not going to get that for £250.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Im not sure what the complaint is here? If you want to route gigabit traffic with EVERYTHING on then you need some serious horsepower and you’re not going to get that for £250.

Now that higher speeds are available more readily to home users I often think about this as in my head to do stuff at line speed at these speeds usually needs reasonable grunt and costs a few quid.

I always mention it, so apologies, but I remember not all that long ago selling network IPS appliances where even a model that would hit 1Gbps of inspection (non SSL) was in region of $25k list price (not that anyone paid list..)

Permabanned
Turned off the UDR now and just gone back to using the VM Hub 4, while the package is pretty nice, its got a great interface and decent wifi the lack of throughput annoyed me. I mean who can survive on 600-700 mb! :p

Considering the cheap feel of the Hub 4 it can route 950mb, albeit it is literally barebones with no software configuration to note.

In the new year I will revisit what kit I need, maybe a UDM Pro SE and an AP.

Soldato
Turned off the UDR now and just gone back to using the VM Hub 4, while the package is pretty nice, its got a great interface and decent wifi the lack of throughput annoyed me. I mean who can survive on 600-700 mb! :p

Considering the cheap feel of the Hub 4 it can route 950mb, albeit it is literally barebones with no software configuration to note.

In the new year I will revisit what kit I need, maybe a UDM Pro SE and an AP.

I didn’t realise the VM Hub 4 did IPS/IDS? Surely if you turn that off on the UDR it’ll route at full line speed?

Soldato
Surely if you turn that off on the UDR it’ll route at full line speed?

Nope. With everything off, 700Mbps is about as good as you'll get.

As I said earlier, I would be surprised if anyone other than Ubiquiti were releasing a router in 2021 that couldn't push packets as quickly as the USG-3P which was released in 2014. But this is Ubiquiti, so I'm not overly surprised. A few words from the horses mouth.

Caporegime
Fibre being pulled into my village today. 6 months estimated for the entire place to be done \o/. I'll be going full gigabyte (again) soon and looking to replace my USG, so I'll probably be getting an UDM Pro. I had sort of wanted to break from Ubiquiti but...easier said than done sometimes.

Has anyone got one of their doorbells? I've got a Eufy one at the moment but there are a number of reasons I want to replace it.

Soldato
I have, it’s ‘fine’.

It’s a door bell, it records stuff, the picture quality is fine and recognises when people come to the door and not just the wind blowing the bushes.

No Apple/Google/Amazon integration if that’s for thing and finding a compatible manual chime is more difficult than it sounds due to the different voltages used in the U.K. and US. You can get compatible wired chimes and wireless ones are available if you don’t mind spending a bit more on them.

Edit: I should add that I don’t have or have ever used any other smart door bells so I have nothing to compare it to.

I bought it as it’s one of the few that do local recording and I already had a cloud key gen 2 plus that it could record to.

Back
Top Bottom