*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
You can also policy route, as an example you can set up a rule so that all traffic to bbc.co.uk goes over NordVPN (or whatever provider/VPN you set up). It's a bit of a game at times to work out exactly which sites you need to add but you might find that a more suitable option versus routing an entire network over a VPN.

Perhaps even simpler, you could set up a policy route applied to the devices you want to access iPlayer/ITVX, so that when they access a specified region (the UK in this instance) they are routed over a VPN.

Oh man. That would be awesome actually. Especially the latter as sometimes I want UK Netflix and other time Spanish Netflix so being able to have it installed on 2 devices which each connect to separate regions would be amazing and seem less.

Is there any reason not to get the Dream Machine Special Edition?

I’ll have a rack for Solar battery storage where it can be mounted. I’ll want a few access points and cameras and so having a POE switch built in would make life easy and then the expandable storage suits as well.

Obviously I’d rather not spend that much money but it feels like the best option.

Soldato
Oh man. That would be awesome actually. Especially the latter as sometimes I want UK Netflix and other time Spanish Netflix so being able to have it installed on 2 devices which each connect to separate regions would be amazing and seem less.

I’ll have a rack for Solar battery storage where it can be mounted. I’ll want a few access points and cameras and so having a POE switch built in would make life easy and then the expandable storage suits as well.

Obviously I’d rather not spend that much money but it feels like the best option.
Really like my DM SE had it about two weeks now.

Man of Honour
I really like mine, the only issues I've had with it were caused by me mucking about on command line on it, apart from that it's been rock solid. I don't know if it's due an update but it will do 3.5 Gbps with IPS/IDS already (which I would argue is not required for home users).

Soldato
I really like mine, the only issues I've had with it were caused by me mucking about on command line on it, apart from that it's been rock solid. I don't know if it's due an update but it will do 3.5 Gbps with IPS/IDS already (which I would argue is not required for home users).
I specifically went with it to somewhat be future proof it'll happily deal with a 1Gb+ line.
I can't see us going faster than 2.5 for a long time.

Man of Honour
An update was my only hesitation, not that i particularly need anything better and i'll be using Starlink for internet which caps out around 120mbps anyway, but more around whether deals might appear?
I'd imagine it would be cheaper to get one of their new gateways and a PoE switch?

Soldato
I'd imagine it would be cheaper to get one of their new gateways and a PoE switch?

I might be wrong, but i'm seeing around €450 for the DM SE

Looking at the 8 port switch for €100 (i know i could get a cheaper one), then the Cloud Gateway Ultra at €91 i guess i end up with around the same functionality for my needs, but then i need something with storage for the cameras as i'd quite like to keep things under the one eco system so doesn't that end up close to the Dream Machine anyway?

Man of Honour

Looking at the 8 port switch for €100 (i know i could get a cheaper one), then the Cloud Gateway Ultra at €91 i guess i end up with around the same functionality for my needs, but then i need something with storage for the cameras as i'd quite like to keep things under the one eco system so doesn't that end up close to the Dream Machine anyway?
Ah, missed the camera aspect. Yeah, the SE would be nice and the single drive for Protect is somewhat negated now as you can back up to Google Cloud.

Soldato
Yeah. Not decided on cameras yet. I'd be happy to go TP Link too or similar, ,but i figure it makes sense to give myself the options early on, rather than locking stuff out.

The other benefit is that here in Spain, you don't need to be a full business to reclaim VAT, so even self employed people can reclaim VAT :D

Last edited:
Soldato

This was the cheapest I could find.

I ruled out the Ultra as it had no way of passing on a higher than 1Gb internet service. The DMSE has the 2 SFP+ ports.
It's nice that it has a 2.5G WAN but id be annoyed if I had a service that I could only share rather than have the full speed to any single client.
Something to keep in mind if that's of concern for the future.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my Ultra PoE, U6+ and various gubbins yesterday. Got my new socket installed under the stairs and got it all powered up.

Tbh the mesh is working that well I'm not sure I can be bothered running the CAT6! Super easy getting it all seuup, software is great.

Soldato
I hate to break it to you but Ubiquiti isn’t remotely premium. It’s prosumer or basic business grade kit. It’s actually cheap for what you get but if you want premium support then you need to go to HPE/Aruba or Cisco/Meraki or even Arista. Then you’re into lifetime warranties and advance swap-outs but you pay for it either in the equipment price or ongoing subscriptions.

Just moved a Cisco CBS350 on, really like it, but for other reasons it was sat next to my desk switched off. Cisco missed a big trick with their CBS dashboard, they had an opportunity and fell short. Product wise on the CLI etc. I think a "much" better switch. Much being subjective as it also depends on your needs.

It was a toss up between moving the Unifi 48 port on or the Cisco 24 port, part of me feels I mad the wrong decision sadly.

Current plan for a family member is UX, TP Link switch and a FlexHD via PoE injector plugged intot the TP-Link. Will see how they get on, but tbh they've fiddled, meddled and all sorts with other stuff thus far this is the last option. It'll be make do with Virgin router and their crap pucks.

The system I put in which they said was rubbish is working perfectly at another family member, that's pfsense with tp-link deco setup and another friend has a tp-link deco working fine for him.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just moved a Cisco CBS350 on, really like it, but for other reasons it was sat next to my desk switched off. Cisco missed a big trick with their CBS dashboard, they had an opportunity and fell short. Product wise on the CLI etc. I think a "much" better switch. Much being subjective as it also depends on your needs.

It was a toss up between moving the Unifi 48 port on or the Cisco 24 port, part of me feels I mad the wrong decision sadly.

Current plan for a family member is UX, TP Link switch and a FlexHD via PoE injector plugged intot the TP-Link. Will see how they get on, but tbh they've fiddled, meddled and all sorts with other stuff thus far this is the last option. It'll be make do with Virgin router and their crap pucks.

The system I put in which they said was rubbish is working perfectly at another family member, that's pfsense with tp-link deco setup and another friend has a tp-link deco working fine for him.

Never get involved with family or friends.

My mum has an Untangle/UniFi system with IW-6 in the main rooms and AP-AC-SHD in the upstairs landing and downstairs in the hallway with 3 UAP-6-Mesh covering the front and back gardens and garage. She also has 300/50Mbps FTTP with Zen and she pronounced it to be “terrible”.

So I said she should get some quotes and the first chap accused her of being a time waster because she was running ‘professional’ equipment and the second guy said he suspected it was a BBC Watchdog sting because there was nothing wrong with her WiFi, in fact he could pick it up quite some way down the road. He did make a valid suggestion about DNS servers which improved the responsiveness of the system but my mum is still utterly convinced that she’s experienced faster broadband elsewhere. You can’t win sometimes.

Associate
Never get involved with family or friends.

Very true. I do help out but really only for older relatives as the cheek of some people is amazing, for example:

When I moved into my current home and my neighbours noticed me fitting an alarm, more upmarket CCTV plus equipment like my server rack being delivered they decided I was the go to IT / security person without me mentioning anything. I offered general advice when asked but two neighbours said they wanted me to provide a full shopping list for CCTV or alarm or network (with URLs of course) and they would buy the equipment, fit it and come to me if they had issues :cry:

After explaining that was not an option they've not spoken to me since, which is probably a good result!

Soldato
This is hilarious :D

It’s not funny. She constantly tells me that she has to wait too long for Facebook to update. I’ve tried explaining that if no-one posts anything it will just stay the same but no, it’s crap WiFi even though her TV, set-top box and PC are all hard wired. You couldn’t make it up, and she’s the best mum in the world etc. but she doesn’t half drive me bonkers.

Soldato
It’s not funny. She constantly tells me that she has to wait too long for Facebook to update. I’ve tried explaining that if no-one posts anything it will just stay the same but no, it’s crap WiFi even though her TV, set-top box and PC are all hard wired. You couldn’t make it up, and she’s the best mum in the world etc. but she doesn’t half drive me bonkers.
It's nothing personal. That's just Mums being Mums. You're not alone! :D

Soldato
she’s the best mum in the world etc. but she doesn’t half drive me bonkers.

Same mate, same.

I've been trying to explain to mine how to figure out the difference between Edge, 3G and 4G on her phone so she can figure out if the internet should be working or not for at least a decade now, and she still asks me 'How do I check?'

Like, bruh....

Associate
I have been tinkering with the UC7-Pro and noticed that an SSID called 6ghz-control is being broadcasted.
I cannot see it in the Unifi Console but Im pretty sure it is coming from the AP.
Anyone know what is it and is there a way to switch it off?

Back
Top Bottom