*** Official Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning Thread***

the player guide on warhammeralliance was a nice run through, Will there be more crafting skills do you think (or will that be breaking NDA ?) its just the player guide only listed Apothecary and a couple of collecting skills. (it did say these are the ones avilable on beta at the moment. So is there more soon to be introduced or is there more being tested already. I would really suck if theres only one crafting skill

From what was given on Warhammer Alliance, there will be more crafting skills at some point but not in the immediate future - and all we'll have for launch will be 2 "core" tradeskills (Apothecary and Talisman Making) and 4 "collection" tradeskills.

the player guide on warhammeralliance was a nice run through, Will there be more crafting skills do you think (or will that be breaking NDA ?) its just the player guide only listed Apothecary and a couple of collecting skills. (it did say these are the ones avilable on beta at the moment. So is there more soon to be introduced or is there more being tested already. I would really suck if theres only one crafting skill

wtf is 'crafting'?!! ;)

Theres more than just apothecary

There is an official crafting video you can watch. Put me right off the game TBH. Looks very poor.

There is an official crafting video you can watch. Put me right off the game TBH. Looks very poor.

The game is primarily focused on massive RvR PvP. Why on earth would you prefer to spend countless hours crafting when the game's focal point is PvP? The only game that did crafting well was SWG, but that had a whole side of it dedicated to crafting professions. WAR's crafting system is just an afterthought, something there to provide a little boost when fighting other players. I wouldn't dismiss the entire game just because you only have a few crafting options at the start, unless of course you're not interested in the PvP side at all. If that's the case, why on earth are you even looking at Warhammer Online?

Crafting seems to come down to potions and enchants, with support gathering skills. No armour, weapons making etc.

I've always thought it must be quite difficult to do armour/weapon making properly in an MMO. Make the armour/weapons better than dropped loot/quest rewards, and nobody bothers with the dropped loot/quest rewards. Make the armour/weapons worse than dropped loot/quest rewards, and nobody bothers with the crafted stuff.

Must be difficult to get the balance right I imagine.

If they make good supply & demand then crafting can be done extremely well.
Take good old UO.
Player made armour does well, very well in fact.
Not as good as some of the magical stuff.
However as armour gets damaged, destroyed and looted then there is good supply and demand.
Magical stuff doesn't drop all the time so there is a very good market for player made stuff.

It's a shame as it does take out a major part of the game.

I've always thought it must be quite difficult to do armour/weapon making properly in an MMO. Make the armour/weapons better than dropped loot/quest rewards, and nobody bothers with the dropped loot/quest rewards. Make the armour/weapons worse than dropped loot/quest rewards, and nobody bothers with the crafted stuff.

SWG had a fantastic crafting system. Everything that was player-made was better than dropped stuff, and because you could experiment, you could add rare dropped materials from instance mobs to your item during the crafting process to improve on it. You were also able to make blueprints of an item that you're crafting, and then replicate it in a small factory (that was in turn created by an Architect profession). Provided that you had the necessary amount of resources, you could make as many of these items that you wanted to. During the crafting process, if you didn't use blueprints, no two items were usually the same, the stats would always differ unless you used the exact same resources.

Also, resources would "shift" from time to time, as they had statistics too, and depending on the quality of these resources, the quality of your components would differ too.

Player-run cities were always bustling with people buying equipment, whether it be food, drink, buildings, armour, weapons, transportation equipment, you name it. The entire game economy was run by the players. After I had established myself and was earning cash, I never purchased anything from an NPC vendor after the game economy got going.

If you're gonna do crafting in an MMO, it should be as involving as that. Anything else is just pointless.

The way it was in Vanguard was that that the gear was no better or worse just spec'd how you like it.

E.g. lets say the best tank gear that dropped was just full of stats for tanking but for PVP you wanted to do more damage instead you could craft it yourself and spec it accordingly :)

If they make good supply & demand then crafting can be done extremely well.
Take good old UO.
Player made armour does well, very well in fact.
Not as good as some of the magical stuff.
However as armour gets damaged, destroyed and looted then there is good supply and demand.
Magical stuff doesn't drop all the time so there is a very good market for player made stuff.

It's a shame as it does take out a major part of the game.

tbh this was the kinda "think train" that was running through my head. I quite liked the crafting because it gave a more of a community feel to a game.
I agree that armour proberbly shouldnt be as good as raid/rvr rewards otherwise as stated people wont bother with the raid/rvr rewards which is a main part of the game.

But I know a few people that love there crafting trades in games and this will proberbly put them off because of the lack of. Thats not to say they dislike pvp or rvr but more of a case that they enjoy that crafting things to help others (aka guildies)

I liked crafting because it was something you could work upon when you didnt have a lot of time to spend on the game or just wanted to chill in the major city.

The way it was in Vanguard was that that the gear was no better or worse just spec'd how you like it.

E.g. lets say the best tank gear that dropped was just full of stats for tanking but for PVP you wanted to do more damage instead you could craft it yourself and spec it accordingly :)

That sounds like the best way to do it to me, make it no better or worse than dropped stuff.

In fact, given the way that the Salvaging skill works in Warhammer, this would be pretty easy to implement too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom