• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Official Zotac rep underfire on Reddit with regards to the 1 - 3 % lower performance..

Permabanned
the fact that the 3080 FE is already at or very close to the power limits and the fact the FE has a beefy cooler seems to be lost on people.
The AIBs won't have much more performance to give on their premium models and have likely skimped on (or gimped) their budget models in order to create the illusion of a difference or save money on the pcb.

The FE is good, but the AIB's offer better cooling. TUF OC on order!

Associate
I have ordered a Zotac Trinity. 1-3% negative performance compared to the FE out of the box doesn't bother me personally. Perhaps some fps could be clawed back through a more aggressive fan profile and some mild OCing.

However take a gander at this review.

https://www.back2gaming.com/reviews...ming-rtx-3080-trinity-review/8/#split_content

Look at the benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. The difference in FPS between the ASUS and Zotac at 1440p and 4k is massive. We are talking about a 30-40% difference in 1% lows and 15-25% difference in average FPS.

I asked the reviewer what their thoughts were and they have reached out to Zotac for explanation. The reviewer thinks its the ASUS running at close to 2Ghz and the Zotac and FE struggling to hold around 1800Mhz.

Has anyone else seen such a disparity before?

Associate
I have ordered a Zotac Trinity. 1-3% negative performance compared to the FE out of the box doesn't bother me personally. Perhaps some fps could be clawed back through a more aggressive fan profile and some mild OCing.

https://www.back2gaming.com/reviews...ming-rtx-3080-trinity-review/8/#split_content

Look at the benchmarks for the Witcher 3 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare. The difference in FPS between the ASUS and Zotac at 1440p and 4k is massive. We are talking about a 30-40% difference in 1% lows and 15-25% difference in average FPS.

I asked the reviewer what their thoughts were and they have reached out to Zotac for explanation. The reviewer thinks its the ASUS running at close to 2Ghz and the Zotac and FE struggling to hold around 1800Mhz.

I have been browsing through a good few reviews as well, I have not come across one that has this kind of difference.
I would suspect this is just benchmarks and human error.
This is the only review I have seen (That I did not come across on my own), that had results like that.

As far as i can tell its a 1-3% average on difference, so nothing to bug me and a huge jump from my RX 580.

Permabanned

Something has gone very wrong. There is no way the Asus card is that much better than the FE. Stick to the better known sites such as Guru3D for reliable reviews.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_3080_founder_review,24.html

Last edited:
Associate

At 4K in Witcher 3, the Zotac is identical to the FE.

The TUF PCB just screams quality.
Makes the Zotac PCB look like a Fisherprice kids toy.

cooler5.jpg

Permabanned
The FE is good, but the AIB's offer better cooling. TUF OC on order!

A few reviewers already stated it will be hard to beat that FE cooler, sure put 3 massive fans blowing air all over place and it will cool but then again that is what they have beeing doing for years.

Associate
OP
Tech Powerup are saying it's a good card -

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/zotac-geforce-rtx-3080-trinity/

I'll watch Buildzoid's video later. I find his videos very hard going as he takes 30+ mintues for a 5 minute review.

Ideally though, I hope Steve from Gamer's Nexus tests a Zotac, as I would say his word is golden.. If he said avoid, then I would recommend avoiding the Zotac.

But what about all these negative points from the review... Which it turns out, are by design, so Zotac nerfed the card.

• Runs into power limit all the time
  • Our sample ran slightly slower than the Founders Edition, with higher power draw
  • No factory overclock
  • Overclocking more complicated due to power limit
  • Manual power limit adjustment range smaller than Founders Edition

Associate
Ideally though, I hope Steve from Gamer's Nexus tests a Zotac, as I would say his word is golden.. If he said avoid, then I would recommend avoiding the Zotac.

But what about all these negative points from the review... Which it turns out, are by design, so Zotac nerfed the card.

• Our sample ran slightly slower than the Founders Edition, with higher power draw
  • No factory overclock

Gamers Nexus have been black listed from Zotec for previous reviews, so they haven't been supplied a card for review purposes.

Permabanned

• No factory overclock

I'm not seeing any good overclock on the 3080s. This was down to Nvidia saving ~$25 per chip by chosing 8 over 7nm. I almost went with the Zotac myself. The reason I didn't was the blocked off areas at the top of the card. These things run hot, I'll be undervolting mine if it ever arrives.

Remember this Zotac is their entry level and comes with a 5 year warranty. Other AIBs are 2-3 years warranty.

Associate
OP
It looks Zotac are having a slight change of opinion.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ZOTAC/comments/iwuwjc/looks_like_websites_are_starting_to_report_the/

"We thought it was due to product segmentation - which is why we said it was by design in our now famous post. ZOTAC will segment its series for example like the 20 series with Amp and Amp Extreme, usually they are faster and higher tier cards with binned GPUs. Everyone is pretty familiar with that as most graphic card manufacturers do this. However this issue is more of a performance consistancy issue when compared to FE, based on early feedback. Best we can do is provide user feedback to ZOTAC HQ and make them aware of this situation and hope we can provide an answer or a solution if the problem remains consistent."

Back
Top Bottom