Old boxed pc games from a time long long ago...

You know what, this thread has just made me buy this off the 'bay.

oxxMU.jpg

My favourite game from my school days. :cool:

Yes I know it's on Steam but I wanted the real version. :D

Almost all of mine went in 2000, when I sold my old K63 system. I gained others in later years, but almost all have been sold during various eBay clear outs. I do remember that I didn't chuck that many out though. Always been a bit of a hoarder. :o

A quick root around in the murkier corners of the cupboard reveals...

Kids these days are probably wondering what all this 'box' business is all about. Then again it was getting a bit silly by the end of the classic era, as us oldies will remember. Huge great big boxes, with a floppy disc and warranty card rattling about in them. :D

Will take piccies when I can get them down (20 or so) but of the top of my head I have the big box versions of Bioforge, Nomad Soul, Deus (not to be confused with deus ex, random ability to kill yourself in 20 different ways ***), BG2: shadow of amn, FF8, Discworld 2, Blood 2, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Theme Hospital .... and many more

Almost all of mine went in 2000, when I sold my old K63 system. I gained others in later years, but almost all have been sold during various eBay clear outs. I do remember that I didn't chuck that many out though. Always been a bit of a hoarder. :o

A quick root around in the murkier corners of the cupboard reveals...

Kids these days are probably wondering what all this 'box' business is all about. Then again it was getting a bit silly by the end of the classic era, as us oldies will remember. Huge great big boxes, with a floppy disc and warranty card rattling about in them. :D

So a giant diarama of halo reach characters isn't over the top :D

Things seem to be going that way again now but with statues.

xcompic.jpg

Oh snap!

I was glad when they moved to DVD style cases. Although I do have fond memories of Stonekeep. I think it was the first game I got for my new Viglen Pentium 120MHz back in the day. It had a kind of holographic cover on the big box.

Used to love buying those big boxes in the High Street stores @mid '90's, four or five floppy discs and a 300 page manual, though at £44.99 I guess not hard to see where the money went.

The manuals for flight sims especially (Tornado, Longbow 2 etc.) gave almost as much enjoyment as the game itself, something a pdf file can never do (plus you can't read it on the toilet either:o).

I am 36 and all my MINT boxes are still at my parents lol
In fact, my mother is going to sell them on ebay (or at least try!)
You name it I probably have the box.... I used to spend a fortune on games.

Still have total annihilation and tomb raider 1 big boxes, got more in the attic.

Buying games used to be a special occasion with the big box art and often massive instruction manual, that sometimes even contained some back story! It used to feel a bit more special as you anxiously travelled home on the bus/back seat of the car and leafing your way through the manual.

I dont get a buzz anymore with these bog standard dvd cases, I do like buying the odd limited edition game now and then and it goes someway to recapturing those glory days as theyre often amazingly packaged.

I had a few gems but I binned/sold them years ago when I moved from a PC to a console. Bad mistake I know but I was young and foolish :(

I miss:

Syndicate
UFO
Vampire the Masquerade
Carmageddon
Duke Nuken 3d
Turok 2
Myth the Fallen Lords

Back
Top Bottom