Old Desktop Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind mac's, I find myself pretty impartial to all OS's. I do find Unix/Solaris the best, as we use it at uni, but at the end of the day, windows runs the applications i want, at an acceptable speed. So why change :)

I changed because the applications I found my self using had equal or better counterparts on the Mac.

I also like Linux, and I thought that OS X would be perfect for learning Unix.

After a month of using my Mac, I find that Windows, and windows based software in general is very clumbsy. When getting used to a Mac, You just have to unlearn the awkward ways of doing things first.

Why does a G5 etc only have one 5 1/4 drive bay?
Do they expect people to purchase any additional drives via USB2 F/wire?

Not critisicising just find it weird, and try ripping DVDs on a standard DVDrw, takes too long.

I'd be using Linux... if only I weren't a gamer :rolleyes:

I used to have a dual boot with Mandrake 8.1 as my second OS, and that was fine for surfing the web and office applications. But because of my gaming tendencies I found I was still spending most of my time in Windows.

My new rig only has XP Pro, but I picked up one or two things from my Linux experience which have stayed with me. For example, I am never going to have to worry about paying to upgrade MS Office again, since I use OpenOffice.org which is more user-friendly and of course free to download. Also, Mozilla is now my default browser, and I use Internet Explorer as little as possible.

A good thing about Linux/Unix/OS X is that you can compile full software binaries for your hardware/software platform. They all use GCC, and have most of the same services. OS X has pretty much a full Unix implementation.

X11 applications are supported in version 10.3 (Panther)

I know that there are no where near as many games for the mac as there are for Windows... but I rarely play games these days so it's fine with me.

A lot of the big name games are released on Mac though. I recently bought Elite Force 2. C&C Generals, Halo etc. are available on Mac too. Windows versions are usually released earlier though.

But Mac as iLife, Final Cut Expres and a great GUI to make up for the lack of software. There are allegedly 10,000 applications available for OS X now. I remember that when I used Windows, I would use maybe 10 programs regularly... and the Mac has equal, or better alternatives for each.

And there are some other advantages, such as Photoshop CS and Macromedia MX 2004 series on the Mac do not require activation like they do on Windows.

this is my messy setup:
comp22.jpg

comp11.jpg

Last edited:
this is how a room should look :P

minus the food and washing up, itll all be sorted soon when i get my new case and cpu :D

080104-room1.JPG

080104-room2.JPG

ill post some more when its tidier and ive got new things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom