OLD SKOOL CS PLAYERS (1.3-1.6)

Associate
I'd start playing again if there was a server with actual players and a decent map rotation with classic maps. (Oilrig would be sweet)
Majority are riddled with bots etc not many decent eu servers or UK based severs about. Last one I did play on which seemed to have a nice little community was a server called TaT (thick as thieves). Was pretty much D2 24/7 but least it had that old community feel to it.

Associate
any1 remember the UK lan #GoD?. Wernt too high standard but we wernt bad :p

You weren't bad at all mate we had a match against you guys we were called #acehigh.
It was a close match on de_aztec we only pipped you gus by 2 or 3 rounds from what I remember.
You probably can't remember us tbh as our leader kept changing the name and messing about so we never really got established.

I had one of my proudest moments of competitive cs in this match actually
..I was last man standing 1v3 and I only had 8 rounds left in my m4 lol managed to take all 3 out at separate locations around the map.
My heart was on overdrive by the end lol :D

I haz 4090!
Don
The very first beta only has cs_house on there, which later became mansion. You had to buy the correct type of ammo for your gun. Man I feel old. :(

Associate
What CS 1.6 map do you miss that is no longer in CS:GO?

I miss siege or 747 with Podbot and coop with friends. Those were the days...

Associate
I played my way through all iterations of CS.

For some reason though I didn't play much 1.6, condition zero came out and I was one of the few who switched over to that instead of staying on 1.6 like the majority.

It was the first CS I joined a clan & played in leagues.

I put a few K hours into CSGO but recently gave up with it.

Just don't find it fun to play any more, the games riddled with cheaters and there's no community to it any more. I liked it back in the day where you would play a few PCWs or league matches then every 1 would switch over to their own clan public servers or the big community ones, every 1 knew each other and it was a good laugh. Plus there was variation of maps not just D2 constantly.

Theres not really time for that now as everyone wants to be E sports. Then you get all the rank snobbery and elitism. Exclude this player because hes too low rank, no don't invite him hes too high. I just cant be bothered with the drama of it.

Soldato
A 17 year old free to play game before Steam even existed... and it isn’t ‘old school’.

I played Beta, doesn’t make me think 1.3 isn’t old school.

Come on lads.

Associate
I played my way through all iterations of CS.

For some reason though I didn't play much 1.6, condition zero came out and I was one of the few who switched over to that instead of staying on 1.6 like the majority.

It was the first CS I joined a clan & played in leagues.

I put a few K hours into CSGO but recently gave up with it.

Just don't find it fun to play any more, the games riddled with cheaters and there's no community to it any more. I liked it back in the day where you would play a few PCWs or league matches then every 1 would switch over to their own clan public servers or the big community ones, every 1 knew each other and it was a good laugh. Plus there was variation of maps not just D2 constantly.

Theres not really time for that now as everyone wants to be E sports. Then you get all the rank snobbery and elitism. Exclude this player because hes too low rank, no don't invite him hes too high. I just cant be bothered with the drama of it.

That's exactly it, the community aspect of those dedicated servers you cannot beat. I've tried csgo and it's very impressive but when it comes to that it's stale in comparison. Of course you can add friends and make our own little friend community that way but it's just not the same.
A public server on cs or any old skool fps for that matter was like going back to your local pub and seeing the same old faces.

Kicking some guys ass who was kicking yours only yesterday..having a giggle when the admin changed the gravity like it was on the moon. Or the kid who keeps camping in the same spot getting slapped around like a pinball by the admin to 20hp lol. 1v1 and you hear the other player slashing his knife against a wall so you do the same commencing a comical knife fight.

Soldato
That's exactly it, the community aspect of those dedicated servers you cannot beat.

Kicking some guys ass who was kicking yours only yesterday..having a giggle when the admin changed the gravity like it was on the moon. Or the kid who keeps camping in the same spot getting slapped around like a pinball by the admin to 20hp lol. 1v1 and you hear the other player slashing his knife against a wall so you do the same commencing a comical knife fight.

This, exactly this.

Not found a modern version of those great days, I’ve never laughed as hard gaming like I did back then.

Soldato
I played cs when beta 5 came out. I got it on a disc with a pc gamer magazine. Before that I was into TFC, so it was no surprise I became hooked on cs also.

My favourite era was between beta 6 and v1.5. After that it went downhill for me personally with 1.6. I didn't like the changes to the models and some of the gameplay - it felt like they had slowed the game down and at the time steam was quite buggy. I played 1.6 upto about 2005 and then just stopped playing as much.

I used to play on the wireplay, Barryworld, and meatyballs servers, but I also played in quite a few clans and one my clans played in a wireplay gaming tournament. I was also playing a bit of quake 3 online, unreal tournament 99 etc where I had clans and went by other nick names - so don't ask what they were, because my memory is really bad on remembering these. It's also possible I may have played with you guys here at some point.

I came back to cs a number of years later and played a bit of css, but games like tf2 and left4dead had started stealing my time more. But these days I don't play online at all anymore. I tried csgo when it came out in 2012 I think, which seemed quite promising but I could not get it into post 2013.

Caporegime
yeah they changed the game to be more competitive. they destroyed the "fun"server aspect of it all as you cannot search for them in game.

also VAC hardly ever gets updated and cheating is rife. apparently it's impossible to detect mouse hacks which give you no recoil, etc.

Back
Top Bottom