Older generation - racist?

Soldato
My grans racist, but only in a senile "im gonna blurt it out rather loudly in a crowded restaurant" way...bless

I also used to have an old maths teacher who was rather racist. He put up an Everton calender and it stayed on January for an extra 2 months, when asked why he hadn't updated it he replied "because February and March are taken up by coloured folk, normal service will resume in April" there was a phrase he like to use a lot when we were faced with a particularly hard problem, "oh dear lads, this ones as hard as finding a n***** in a woodpile...

Last edited:
Soldato
No, I'm sorry, not all old people are racist or magically 'excused' from being polite just because they're old.

My mum's side of the family are INCREDIBLY White/English, my nan was a Hunt before she married my grampa, a Smith. A bit further back you get some French's but I daresay it was some time ago they came over to England from the continent to end up with that as a surname!

Anyway. It was a fairly racist society back then, my nan used to work with a black man, I can't remember where - either a shop or the local bio lab (I forget). They became friends and brought him home to tea once, much to the consternation of her own mother who I don't think liked that very much...

Point being if you're a closed-minded grumpy git, I suppose you're likely to be racist too. Goes for all ages. But if you're open and friendly and lack prejudice, then you won't.

Associate
My grandparents were not at all racist and lived in london amoungst many different people.
however my In laws who you would call well educated and travelled the world were terribly racist including black, japanese, German and pakistanis (sp) it used to horrify me.

Soldato
[FnG]magnolia;13135243 said:
That, sir, is a brilliant piece of trolling. I award you the highest order of Troll : the 5 star Michelin Troll award!

:rolleyes:

It is true, if you know what genetics are and that we are all 99.99% the same and it is simply a matter of upbringing and culture rather than them being inferior or whatever then yes I think education helps.

You can't judge a book by it's cover is obvious to some but not others, by tarnishing everyone with a certain skin colour with the same brush is obviously unfair on all the "good" people of that race but without education many do not see this obvious point.

But yeah even many with an education choose to ignore it so it is not the be all and end all. But I wasnt trolling.

Caporegime
It is true, if you know what genetics are and that we are all 99.99% the same and it is simply a matter of upbringing and culture rather than them being inferior or whatever then yes I think education helps.

Genetically you're 98% identical to a halibut, and several thousand times less complex than a fern (in relation to number of chromosomes). Little difference's in genetics are still major things.

Permabanned
I was Shocked by a couple of my workmates, They refer to Bananas as Monkey food & then started chatting to this girl about how many "Monkeys" there are over in Nuneaton. There was No hush hush about it or anything & he just talked normally, The guy is between 45-50 I would say. There was about 5 people within ear shot who laughed along as I just stood there picking my jaw up.
I felt guilty not saying owt but he is the team leaders husband so I felt it better not to rock the boat any more.

You didn't strike me as someone who's led a sheltered life but this post makes it sound like you have.

Associate
An elderly relative in his 80s now uses terms that could be described as racist. I have never known him to do anything different in his behaviour but he may use terms to refer to different groups of people that is now deemed as racist, but in his mind it is no different to saying that ginger man over there or that fat person on the bus.

And partially in his defence growing up through a war where people from overseas tried to kill him on a regular basis I can understand why he may dislike people not from this country.

He was also in the armed services and there his job description was go out and kill foreign people - you cannot get much more racist than that.

Permabanned
He was also in the armed services and there his job description was go out and kill foreign people - you cannot get much more racist than that.

Don't be silly. First of all, not all foreigners are of a different race. Secondly, we didn't kill Germans or Japs because they were foreign, we killed them because we were at war with them - total war.

Back
Top Bottom