Older generation - racist?

Permabanned
I've never heard my grandparents be out and out racist. However they are openly secterian. Which is funny because I have Catholic aunts and cousins but they don't regard them as Catholic. My grandad absolutely hates the English though, not just the British government (specifically Labor) but the people as well, regardless of their skin colour. But he was a minister for the Church Of Ireland and an Orange man all his life, so his political opinions are "old guard" as it were.

Associate
thats_racist_animated.gif

Associate
My Grandad is hugely racist.

His list of shame includeds

When a young black girl asked for directions, he sent her completly the wrong way
Telling me if I ever had a black girlfriend, he'd paint her white for me
When the council sent round some one to size up his new kitchen who happened to be black, he opened the door, refused to answer any questions, wouldn't let them in and then rang the council asking for only white staff to visit him.
Tore the page out of a Luton Town FC calander due to it having a black player on

There is no doubt more.

He puts it down to being in the amry in WW2, he visited Africa where he said it was disgusting, poo everywhere.

Permabanned
I've never heard my grandparents be out and out racist. However they are openly secterian. Which is funny because I have Catholic aunts and cousins but they don't regard them as Catholic. My grandad absolutely hates the English though, not just the British government (specifically Labor) but the people as well, regardless of their skin colour. But he was a minister for the Church Of Ireland and an Orange man all his life, so his political opinions are "old guard" as it were.

I'm far from an expert on Irish sectarian issues but I thought all Orangemen were protestants and unionist/pro British etc. Apparently not if what you say is correct.

Soldato
I was Shocked by a couple of my workmates, They refer to Bananas as Monkey food & then started chatting to this girl about how many "Monkeys" there are over in Nuneaton. There was No hush hush about it or anything & he just talked normally, The guy is between 45-50 I would say. There was about 5 people within ear shot who laughed along as I just stood there picking my jaw up.
I felt guilty not saying owt but he is the team leaders husband so I felt it better not to rock the boat any more.

Maybe there is a zoo in Nuneaton? :D

Soldato
Is it just me that finds verbal racism one of the funniest things ever!?

Towards black or white people it's hilarious. I think it's the expressions and names that are the funniest. Snow****** being one of my favourites.

And let's face it, it's no different to me calling someone a ginger ninja or a blonde bimbo is it.

Man of Honour
My Grandad is hugely racist.

His list of shame includeds

When a young black girl asked for directions, he sent her completly the wrong way
Telling me if I ever had a black girlfriend, he'd paint her white for me
When the council sent round some one to size up his new kitchen who happened to be black, he opened the door, refused to answer any questions, wouldn't let them in and then rang the council asking for only white staff to visit him.

Wow. I find that hugely offensive. If I worked in the council I'd tell him very politely that we would not send certain staff on the basis of race and that if he wanted a kitchen sized up then he better be nice to whoever we send.

Permabanned
I'm far from an expert on Irish sectarian issues but I thought all Orangemen were protestants and unionist/pro British etc. Apparently not if what you say is correct.

Politically there were parts of the Protestant / Loyalist community that wanted independance from both Britain and Southern Ireland and being an "Orange man" has very little to do with being British as it was founded as a Protestant Irish organisation. Not British (though it is a global organisation now).

Associate
Some Orangemen dislike the British ie Government because of the perceived sell out to the Irish Republic and Sinn Fein. Some Orangemen just hate everyone

Associate
Wow. I find that hugely offensive. If I worked in the council I'd tell him very politely that we would not send certain staff on the basis of race and that if he wanted a kitchen sized up then he better be nice to whoever we send.

I totally agree. They didn't unfortunetly. I have tried talking to him about it, but he is so set in his ways.

An indian doctor treated my Grandma when she was unwell, he was very complementry then.......

Permabanned
Politically there were parts of the Protestant / Loyalist community that wanted independance from both Britain and Southern Ireland and being an "Orange man" has very little to do with being British as it was founded as a Protestant Irish organisation. Not British (though it is a global organisation now).

Surely by definition, no Loyalist would want independence from Britain.

Associate
Yeah, once I was shopping and there was black bloke cleaning the shopping centre by the entrance doors

anyway I hold the door open for this old bloke, and as he comes through he says ' dont let that 'n-word' through the door, trap his head in it and cut it off bloody 'n-word'

it was loud enough for the cleaning bloke to hear

I'm not black but I would have knocked the old geezer out. Scum :mad:

Permabanned
Some Orangemen dislike the British ie Government because of the perceived sell out to the Irish Republic and Sinn Fein. Some Orangemen just hate everyone

That's why I hate the British government and I'm not even an Orange man. Nothing sickens me more than seeing "former" IRA men standing in Stormonts chambers and halls. It's like allowing that Doctor who was jailed for trying to blow up an airport, into Government and allowing him a say in the running of your country when he's eventually released.

It's just that none of the idiots have proclaimed they're "political prisoners" yet and gone on hunger strike.

Soldato
Is it just me that finds verbal racism one of the funniest things ever!?

Towards black or white people it's hilarious. I think it's the expressions and names that are the funniest. Snow****** being one of my favourites.

And let's face it, it's no different to me calling someone a ginger ninja or a blonde bimbo is it.

You're not alone, I find it all incredibly funny too. The more offensive the better. I think a lot of people are the same, they use these terms to make themselves and others laugh rather than to hurt anyones feelings.

Permabanned
That's why I hate the British government and I'm not even an Orange man. Nothing sickens me more than seeing "former" IRA men standing in Stormonts chambers and halls. It's like allowing that Doctor who was jailed for trying to blow up an airport, into Government and allowing him a say in the running of your country when he's eventually released.

It's just that none of the idiots have proclaimed they're "political prisoners" yet and gone on hunger strike.

You can't defeat determined terrorists and the only way to stop the IRA campaign, especially on the mainland was to make a deal with them, simple as that. Might not be palatable but it is better than the alternative.

Back
Top Bottom