Olympic Track Cycling

And a new WR....have to wonder how the hell GB mens and women are beating the WR's so easily in track cycling??. Is it because the other teams are just cruising through whereas GB are blasting through the times.

At Olympic level, yes, they probably could do it in fewer laps. But the event is also run at much lower levels of cycling. The idea is to get everyone up to speed with the minimal energy possible.

But does it really matter if its 2 laps or 6? The race is all in the final 2 laps anyway.
Interesting that Mark Cavendish mentioned that it was originally more an endurance race than a sprint - seems to be a mongrel of an event. Makes more sense/more achievement if it was more to keep pace for multiple laps to be there at the end for the sprint, than just a plain sprint as you described...

But that makes it similar to other existing events, which brings me back to my original conclusion that its more an artifical event

ps3ud0 :cool:

And a new WR....have to wonder how the hell GB mens and women are beating the WR's so easily in track cycling??. Is it because the other teams are just cruising through whereas GB are blasting through the times.

I think it could be that cycling was already one of our best sports, so attracted sponsership from Lottery, Government(tax payers) and businesses.

Back
Top Bottom