Olympic Triathlon

Soldato
Women's race - Saturday 4th
Men's Race - Tuesday 7th

Still a couple of days away yet, but i'm looking forward to it. I'v seen some highlights and things but never managed to watch a whole race before, so i'm going to try and make some time, at least for the womens race on saturday, to sit and watch the whole thing.

I know there are a few triathletes on here, so hopefully somebody can answer a few of my questions:
-The wikipedia page says there is a penalty box where the competitors will serve their penalties (which is the first time they have used this - usually penalty time just gets added onto their overall time), but it doesnt say what the penalties are for?
-Why is drafting allowed? It seems unfair to me, a strong swimmer will get caught by a bunch on the bike, a strong cyclist wont get away from the group but a strong runner will get dragged along and then run away, literally, on the run. Have i got it wrong? Is it different in reality?

Soldato
I'm not a fan of allowing drafting on the bike, but you've always been able to draft in the water and there isn't much you can do to stop it there.

Dunno about penalties, perhaps for transition infractions like mounting and dismounting outside the zone.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going to go down and watch it tomorrow, as I have been doing with all the free events.

Like Asprilla says, I think sin bin style penalties will be for transition areas.

Soldato
I'd only just looked to see that it's a 9am start!

Going to have to get there pretty early then. It's also difficult to gauge how busy tomorrow will be, the turnout for the road races has been huge. This is another mostly free event, but its in one concentrated area. Given the interest in the Olympics has been growing constantly, I think there is a good chance it might be crazy busy!

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The team tactics here are like those in the Tour de France with all the support for the Helen.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that, it seemed that Hall had the swim and cycling ability to make a decent show of it, I guess her run isn't brilliant so she seems to be acting as domestique for Jenkins.

Back
Top Bottom