Omega or Breitling?

Soldato
Personally I would go Omega. It's an understated, well made watch. Breitling have become a very showy brand in my eyes, some of their designs are very garish and as such they have attracted showy people. The Navitimer is not as blingy but breitling in general feels tarnished for me. While most of the watch industry basically recases Eta movements, I don't much like the cases Breitling puts them in ;)

I completely agree with this. Omega for understated beauty. Breiting for bling flashyness.

Permabanned
OP
I can still buy the old, they still have stock. Probably get a good discount too.

I was talking to two Authorised Dealers earlier today and neither were willing to budge on price for the older model. They simply said the choice was mine and they do not need to discount as the former is in demand.

Soldato
. Basically I think for £3k there's no better watch for everyday use.

even if i won the lottery or earned a very tidy sum P/A i just could not bring myself to spend more than £100 on a watch. and i know £3k is comparitively conservative but in my opinion, it is quite frankly ridiculous and i have no idea what kind of a statement it is supposed to make and can only imagine that paying so much for a watch is purely about statement.

another statement is a flash car but whereas a £10 watch or a £10,000 watch will both give the time, a £100 car and a £100k car are a world apart.

but hey, it's your money and i'm not saying it's crass, it's just something i personally couldn't feel the need to do.

Soldato
even if i won the lottery or earned a very tidy sum P/A i just could not bring myself to spend more than £100 on a watch. and i know £3k is comparitively conservative but in my opinion, it is quite frankly ridiculous and i have no idea what kind of a statement it is supposed to make and can only imagine that paying so much for a watch is purely about statement.

another statement is a flash car but whereas a £10 watch or a £10,000 watch will both give the time, a £100 car and a £100k car are a world apart.

but hey, it's your money and i'm not saying it's crass, it's just something i personally couldn't feel the need to do.

The watch cost half that as it was used, and guess what if I ever wanted to sell it I'm sure I could get all that money back. So maybe I'm not as stupid as you make out.

I'm looking at buying a £4k Navitimer at the moment, for £2k second hand. If I do my research and buy smartly I may even make a profit over a few years.

I could argue that a £100 car and a £100k car can both only go 70mph (legally) so what's the point. I would't because that'd make me look like a fool, but I could.

"Costs" are not always what they seem, I'm not saying watches are in the main part an investment but they sure don't depreciate like 99% of cars do. Not when buying 2nd hand anyway.

Caporegime
I could argue that a £100 car and a £100k car can both only go 70mph (legally) so what's the point. I

Although in this comparison the £10 watch will keep time better than a £10k watch.

so actually it's more like having a 0-60 in 6 seconds car for £100 that looks like ass or a 0-60 in 10 seconds car that look pretty but costs £100k

Associate
I've worn my Seamaster every day for over 10 years - great watch, and a classic design (if you go for the classic model).

It won't ever go in or out of fashion, but always be a good watch.

Breitlings are no doubt top pieces of kit... but I find them a bit much and ott.

Permabanned
OP
Dang. I can see that though. I can't decide which I prefer. But I won't be buying one soon, so it's moot!

They both offered me big discounts on TAG Heuer and Longines though and one offered me 10% on the Navitimer. Omega, not a chance.

I'm settled on an Onega now anyway, I don't really like the Planet-Ocean, at least not the ones I've seen, so it's a choice between the 300m Chronograph or Chronometer and the latter which face design.....

Soldato
Although in this comparison the £10 watch will keep time better than a £10k watch.

so actually it's more like having a 0-60 in 6 seconds car for £100 that looks like ass or a 0-60 in 10 seconds car that look pretty but costs £100k

Although you could argue that Mondeo is more comfortable that a Lambo.

And a £10 watch will run out of battery when a £3k auto watch will last far longer.

To say that a watch is a waste of money but a car ins't is just nonsense. Without wanting to willy wave I've owned both £3k watches and £50k cars, cars IMO are more of a waste of money.

Soldato
They both offered me big discounts on TAG Heuer and Longines though and one offered me 10% on the Navitimer. Omega, not a chance.

I'm settled on an Onega now anyway, I don't really like the Planet-Ocean, at least not the ones I've seen, so it's a choice between the 300m Chronograph or Chronometer and the latter which face design.....

Checked out the Speedmaster? Please don't miss it before going for the Seamaster like most do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_Speedmaster

Permabanned
OP
Nothing is a waste of money if you get enjoyment out of owning it. One person might spend £3k on a nice watch, another might spend that same money on a gaming PC, or dossing about on a foreign beach for a fortnight....each to their own.

Soldato
persoannly, I don't like the hands on the SMP (seamaster pro) and an aqua terra would be my 2nd-in-line after a PO (planet ocean)

Back
Top Bottom