Onkyo 876 upgrade ?

Soldato
Unless you want Dolby Atmos/DTS-X (You need ceiling speakers or speakers that direct sound upwards from the listening height in addition to what you already have AFAIK) Atmos blu-ray/Ultra HD software is growing all the time right now. DTS-X is a bit slow getting off the ground. 4K passthrough is something you may also need.

THX (if you want that still) You may be looking at another Onkyo.

Either way an upgrade with the above features & a step-up in sound quality isn't going to be cheap.

Associate
The 2nd HDMI out on the 2300 is a mirror of the first, therefore not capable of running a separate source from the first. You'd need a 4200 or better for that I believe.

The 2300 would be a step or two down in terms of sound quality as well I think. Whilst being feature packed, it still is an entry level receiver.

What speakers do you run, OP?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The 2nd HDMI out on the 2300 is a mirror of the first, therefore not capable of running a separate source from the first. You'd need a 4200 or better for that I believe.

The 2300 would be a step or two down in terms of sound quality as well I think. Whilst being feature packed, it still is an entry level receiver.

What speakers do you run, OP?

Hdmi Main goes to my TV and HDMI sub goes to my Projector....

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Unless you want Dolby Atmos/DTS-X (You need ceiling speakers or speakers that direct sound upwards from the listening height in addition to what you already have AFAIK) Atmos blu-ray/Ultra HD software is growing all the time right now. DTS-X is a bit slow getting off the ground. 4K passthrough is something you may also need.

THX (if you want that still) You may be looking at another Onkyo.

Either way an upgrade with the above features & a step-up in sound quality isn't going to be cheap.

I don't need 4K just yet...I'm waiting as my Panny Plasma is just dandy until oled comes down in price...

I'm glad I started thius thread...As Its looking to me that an Upgrade might not be needed...

Budget, such that we don't suggest a Trinnov?

I got my Onkyo for £599 from RS...So max budegt of £700 ish

Associate
Hmm at that price range you're really not going to be upgrading in terms of sound quality, just features.

You really need a budget of 1k+ to get a worthwhile upgrade.

Associate
Last edited:
Associate
For Atmos you either need a pair or more of ceiling speakers or upfiring speakers which sit on your front LR.

Not sure about streaming as I prefer physical media.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
For Atmos you either need a pair or more of ceiling speakers or upfiring speakers which sit on your front LR.

Not sure about streaming as I prefer physical media.

My speakers are in the wall...

By the looks of it...I only really need to upgrade for 4K support...something I'm not doing for the foreseeable future..

All the other features like network and the like I just won't use...

Most if my viewing is Netflix, Amazon prime as one of these stream atmos there seemed to be no reason to upgrade...u less I'm missing something obvious...

Associate
If you're not buying into 4k then upgrading to recent avrs is pointless. If you do want to upgrade then you need to be looking at high end avrs from the pre 4k era. Something that cost 5k 10 years ago is still a high end avr sound quality wise. The only issue then is the lack of more modern audio features.

Caporegime
OP
If you're not buying into 4k then upgrading to recent avrs is pointless. If you do want to upgrade then you need to be looking at high end avrs from the pre 4k era. Something that cost 5k 10 years ago is still a high end avr sound quality wise. The only issue then is the lack of more modern audio features.

Yeah...I'll get 4K when I see a point to it...and OLED is mainstream...

I'll keep my 876 for now I'm happy with it...it's been a fantastic purchase.And still sounds great.

Back
Top Bottom