Onkyo 876 upgrade ?

Caporegime
OP
But if the amp ticks all his boxes and does what he wants they it would be silly to get rid of and spend £800 on a new amp when he knows his old one is better.

My Denon AVC-A10SE does everything I want,powerfully,DTS,7.1,I'm the 2nd owner and my friend purchased it brand new with the speakers (which I have also) and has never had the volume past a quarter (he dosent like loud music) so I know 100% the amp is perfect,if it broke down I would get it repaired as I love the sound it produces as I think the older amps give a better sound than the new ones.

Yeah mate . Definitely don’t want to downgrade :)

Caporegime
OP
I have had the 876 unplugged for the last couple of days ....I woke up this morning ready to take it to the repair man and thought I would check one last time....

I plugged it in to power ( no other connections) and it powered on and stayed on!

I have no idea why...when I spoke to the repair guy he did mention leaving it off for at least 24 hours...

Anyway it's back up and running....:confused:

The only explanation is that a few days back we had a couple of brown outs and maybe this did something? The amp is on a surge protector but I may now put it on a UPS

Soldato
its more likely a sign of components going EOL - caps drying out for example. If it does it again, it'd still send it in to be looked at; they're old and they run hot - components will degenerate in there. Luckily the only major issues ive had with my 805 was the display stopped working, but that's just a case of replacing two resistors. My component video board is also fried but i never use component so whatever :p

Caporegime
OP
its more likely a sign of components going EOL - caps drying out for example. If it does it again, it'd still send it in to be looked at; they're old and they run hot - components will degenerate in there. Luckily the only major issues ive had with my 805 was the display stopped working, but that's just a case of replacing two resistors. My component video board is also fried but i never use component so whatever :p

Watched TV all last night...( River Monsters on Netflix)

Woke up this morning....just powered on and same thing flashing red LED when powering on

Thought I'd cracked it :(

Caporegime
OP
Not wanting to wait 10 days on a diagnosis :rolleyes: I went home and ordered a Denon AVR -X4400H

Oops :p

Sounds great even uncalibrated, the Spotify connect is great and dare I say it I feel no remorse for my 876...:o

Things have moved on...only thing is now looks like I'll be upgrading my speakers and TV...:p

Might aswell go go Dolby Atmos ( Netflix and Amazon support it) I can use my Monitor Audio 45's for the height speakers I have...And get some Monitor Audio FX for the sides and rears...

Ten years is a decent cycle for home cinema:p...out with the old and all that !

The Denon has two Sub outs so I might buy another BK Gemini II FOR SHNICKS AND SNIGGLES :p

Soldato
One better sub is better than two budget subs.you won't get lower extension with two subs, it'll go louder but with the Gemini limit is low end . Going dual Gemini would be unworthwhile.

Caporegime
OP
One better sub is better than two budget subs.you won't get lower extension with two subs, it'll go louder but with the Gemini limit is low end . Going dual Gemini would be unworthwhile.

You sure?

On doing a bit of research...on a few sites now

Tip 3: Make sure you have enough subwoofers
If you have one row of seats you need two subwoofers. If you have two rows of seats you need at least four subs and possibly more.

Having an horn loaded mega sub will not give you smooth bass. It will certainly give you a lot of it but you’ll also get massive peaks and dips across your listening area from rampant room modes and speaker boundary interference cancellations.

The pro tip is to use more subs, and to put them in certain “mode-cancelling” arrangements to provide consistent, smooth bass across your seating area. For more, see this case study. To learn about multiple subwoofers, run this search on google.

Try Multiple Subs
Having more than one subwoofer in a room will do wonders to minimize bass modes. When you have the energy coming from different places in the room, the modes tend to smooth out. Two is better than and four is even better than two. Doing something like this will give you and your guests even bass response in most seating positions in your theater room.

More Can Indeed Be Better
There is a third factor that can greatly influence bass quality: the number of subwoofers. While one subwoofer may produce enough bass for an average sized room, buying additional subwoofers can reduce the occurrence of room resonances and improve the overall quality of bass throughout the room. The key thing to understand is that it's not about adding more bass; it's about improving bass quality and distributing it more evenly throughout areas.

They even suggest two smaller subs are better than one bigger one...

Last edited:
Soldato
Even if you have six Geminis won't match something like dual monoliths.

It's same.as.sli. what's better 8800gtx , aingle. Card or dual low end in sli?
Dual Geminis won't go as low.as one monolith or have gur wrenching bass of the bigger sub

Soldato
And take note that dial sub is svs SB ultra 13.... Not two budget subs.

Two of my 12" don't come close to my sb ultra. Even if duals flatten response. Idmovr the gemini to another system and get do Glenn or dual xls 400.

Wouldn't mind another SB ultra 13 but price has shot up. So unless move that to stereo (overkill) then get dual sb 4000 or dual sb ultra 16

Back
Top Bottom