• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opinion - The 7800xt is not a good value card at it's current price when compared to a 4070

Soldato
The would start at around £480 if they could keep them in stock, i also don't rate the 4070 as high, i would rather have the 7700XT for where its priced, they are basically the same, similar performance and the same VRam.... and i couldn't care less about 40 watts, what i do care about is the quality of the card its self and a lot of those cheaper 4070 are abysmal, they are objectively junk quality.
Because the UK is a higher per capita market,they are treating us like whales. So on purpose limit stock so they can get us to pay more. They can go and screw themselves. They have done this tactic in the UK since 2020/2021. Now with no Starfield,the RX7800XT is terrible value for money. I won't touch one for more than £430 since the Starfield code is worth £50 for me. If it never reaches £430,but the RTX4070 gets their first I will buy the latter. If both are £480+ they can stay on the shelf.

They tried this fake RRP nonsense with Vega too.

If I wanted a £500+ replacement for my card,I would have got a ******* RTX4070 months ago,when my current card had more value.

In the end this current lot,have precided over a halving of AMD sales share. No wonder when they start playing "Jebaiting" games with their own customers. Except the "Jebait" is lying about the UK RRP,and quietly limiting stock so they can charge more. Not even the Rainforest site has had stock for weeks,as have many other retailers. They are no better than Nvidia,but launch months late now with fake RRPs.

Maybe they can aim for 10% sales share next year. Not even Raja was this bad - they at least had much more dGPU sales.

Last edited:

Klo

Klo

Soldato
You've seen AMDs driver level frame gen right?
They'd have been better off keeping that away from the public, it's hideous when you see it in motion. Would be better off dropping settings then seeing that mess
The general sentiment about that has been lightly positive.

Caporegime
Because the UK is a higher per capita market,they are treating us like whales. So on purpose limit stock so they can get us to pay more. They can go and screw themselves. They have done this tactic in the UK since 2020/2021. Now with no Starfield,the RX7800XT is terrible value for money.If I wanted a £500+ replacement for my card,I would have got a ******* RTX4070 months ago,when my current card had more value.

In the end this current lot,have precided over a halving of AMD sales share. No wonder when they start playing "Jebaiting" games with their own customers. Except the "Jebait" is lying about the UK RRP,and quietly limiting stock so they can charge more. Not even the Rainforest site has had stock for weeks,as have many other retailers. They are no better than Nvidia,but launch months late now with fake RRPs.

Months ago the 4070 was £600. you only think the 7800XT is over priced because Nvidia lowerd the price to bring it more in to line with the 7800XT, and that's all Nvidia had to do to make you go back to complaining about how AMD's GPU's are over priced.

Last edited:
Soldato
Months ago the 4070 was £600. you only think the 7800XT is over priced because Nvidia lowerd the price to bring it more in to line with the 7800XT, and that's all Nvidia had to do to make you go back and complain about how AMD's GPU's are over priced.

I could have got one near £500 a while back. The reality is that they are on purpose jacking up pricing for the UK market,because the UK is a big market.

They promised a £480 RRP. Yet,it didn't happen - so in the end if I wanted an overpriced £500 turd,I would have got an RTX4070 months ago for just over £500,and got more money for my current card when I sold it.
So if I thought the RTX4070 was rubbish value for money at £500+ the RX7800XT is rubbish value for money,for being £500+ 5 months later. AMD gets zero pass from me especially after my criticism of the RTX4070.

They had 5 months after the RTX4070 and buy more TSMC capacity than Nvidia does.

So if AMD CBA,after three weeks to supply the UK market properly,then they can keep the card. They obviously have no faith in their own product if they can't launch it properly in the UK,right?

AMD can never win, just like ATI could never win.
Do you know why that is?

Don't dirty ATI by mentioning them with AMD. ATI intead of 10% to 17% sales share,had upto 50% sales share and they had plenty of stock.

gpu-marketshare-throughout-the-years-now-nvidia-84-amd-12-v0-rqfxqis36q7b1.png

The current lot in charge,have overseen destruction of AMD sales share to a fraction of what ATI have had. Not even Raja managed to get share down to 10% a while back.

If they can't even supply the UK properly which is the biggest gaming market in Europe,which spends more per capita than Germany on PC hardware,its quite clear they are not bothering worldwide. Nvidia has no Brexit excuses but AMD does.

Their laptop share is at under 5% - they are simply not making enough cards it appears so not even OEMs can get cards. All the Ryzen laptops are selling more Nvidia dGPUs. They have zero interest in even selling their own dGPUs like the RX7600 series on their own platform.

THAT is the reason why things have gone down the drain. It seems the people in charge of Radeon are just running it into the ground,and are clearing off to Intel,etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
Lets say you get your way, CAT, AMD reduce the price of the 7800XT to $450.

What do you suppose Nvidia will do then? Do you think the will leave the 4070 to $550? or lower it to $500? And then what, AMD are over priced again, right? So they aren't selling any more GPU's but what they are selling they are getting less return on.

Soldato
So, as a basic graphics rendering device, the RX 7800 XT does well against the RTX 4070, and has plenty of VRAM.

If sold at RRP, which is around £480, they seem like a good buy.

I've seen them a bit cheaper than that as pre-orders (still out of stock) on one website. Suggests cheaper prices by the end of the year.

You pay a premium with Nvidia, for the RT and DLSS.

But AMD has frame generation in beta now, that works in many games through a driver implementation, and with official FSR3 support for some games.

I would also argue that AMD has a better / more universal implementation of Resizable Bar, which actually gives them a small advantage in games.

AMD's Freesync tech is compatible with a ton of monitors as well, even an old 4K AOC monitor I've had for years.

I don't really like the RTX 4070, as it was seen as a replacement for the RTX 3080, but it doesn't actually perform as well in some areas. It is slower than the RTX 3080 TI, which is the card I would've bought 2nd hand if I hadn't gone with a RX 7900 XT.

I like the RTX 4070 TI, but Nvidia is still charging stupid money for it (>£750. Cheapest I've seen anywhere is £736). And you only get 12GB of VRAM which seems ludicrous. It was originally going to be called the RTX 4080, but I think even Nvidia released that would be jumping the shark.

Last edited:
Soldato
So, as a basic graphics rendering device, the RX 7800 XT does well against the RTX 4070, and has plenty of VRAM.

If sold at RRP, which is around £480, they seem like a good buy.

I've seen them a bit cheaper than that as pre-orders (still out of stock) on one website. Suggests cheaper prices by the end of the year.

You pay a premium with Nvidia, for the RT and DLSS.

But AMD has frame generation in beta now, that works in many games through a driver implementation, and with official FSR3 support for some games.

I would also argue that AMD has a better / more universal implementation of Resizable Bar, which actually gives them a small advantage in games.

Yes, you pay extra for NV features
AMD has some of them, but not as polished. Their features are basically budget versions. They'll do, but they're not to the level you'd pay extra for

If you can't afford or justify the extra cost of the NV card, you just grab the AMD card instead

And before anybody slates me for that... Am I wrong? AMD have put themselves in that position, whether it's on purpose or not is another question, but they're the ones who allowed NV to get the lead they have. They used to be damn competitive back in the day and it's a real shame they aren't anymore because that's allowing NV to charge pretty much whatever they want

Associate
Nvidia are brilliant at marketing their products as being feature rich and if you go ATi/AMD you will be missing out on essential features(PhysX, Tessellation, NVENC, Gsync, Hairworks, Ray Tracing, DLSS). The reality is their proprietary technologies are optional extras at a premium. The 7800XT could be £300 and you'd still have people making a case for buying a 4070 at £500+ largely due to nothing more than the fear of missing out.

Current 7800XT pricing is clearly suffering from UK retailer scalping, the only way to combat it is to buy when you see the card at RRP and avoid the retailers who are changing their prices at an hourly rate.

Soldato
Defending a need for DLSS - Embarrassing.
Defending 12GB VRAM - Embarrassing.
RTX 4070 - Embarrassing.

RTX 5070 will be amazing at the same performance, but throw in some improved DLSS and OMG, a stupendous card. I'll await that thread, exciting isn't it?

Associate
It's bit like politics ppl take the Nvidia vs amd very serious here :)
Facts are 7800xt offer slightly better performance with slightly less features (this might change with fsr 3). When cards are priced similarly 4070 is effectively cheaper due to lower power consumption. Unless you really hate Nvidia there is no point to choose 7800 - it has to be offered at a better price. And amd gets that hence why this was supposed to be a 480 card vs nvidias 600. Now amd cannot control Nvidia pricing but they have massively f'd up their own lunch in UK. I'd be happy to pay 500 for a non standard good quality 7800 but these go for 550 now and you cannot even get some of these at all.
On the point that amd cannot win, well I agree if they are unable to properly lunch what could have been their best product of a year they probably cannot. But it's their own fault and the position they got into is also consequence of their past performance. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try - in the end if they keep the price wars going customer always wins :).

Soldato
Because the UK is a higher per capita market,they are treating us like whales. So on purpose limit stock so they can get us to pay more. They can go and screw themselves. They have done this tactic in the UK since 2020/2021. Now with no Starfield,the RX7800XT is terrible value for money. I won't touch one for more than £430 since the Starfield code is worth £50 for me. If it never reaches £430,but the RTX4070 gets their first I will buy the latter. If both are £480+ they can stay on the shelf.

They tried this fake RRP nonsense with Vega too.

If I wanted a £500+ replacement for my card,I would have got a ******* RTX4070 months ago,when my current card had more value.

Maybe they can aim for 10% sales share next year. Not even Raja was this bad - they at least had much more dGPU sales.
What, no starfield code anymore? AMD can go and **** themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom