Opinions on HP ProLiant ML115 G5

Hi,

Quick question, I have a http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12260_div/12260_div.HTML knocking about with the Pentium D 3.6ghz CPU. Previously had ESX 3.5 on it and every component is detected so I don't need to run off any USB keys, like the M115 does.

Would the M115 in this thread be much faster, AMD Opteron 1354 quad core 2.2ghz (in general terms?). Thinking about whether to pick one up cheap, but keen to know how much more oomph the Opteron processor would give me in something like ESXi.

rp2000

Last edited:
Hi,

Quick question, I have a http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12260_div/12260_div.HTML knocking about with the Pentium D 3.6ghz CPU. Previously had ESX 3.5 on it and every component is detected so I don't need to run off any USB keys, like the M115 does.

Would the M115 in this thread be much faster, AMD Opteron 1354 quad core 2.2ghz (in general terms?). Thinking about whether to pick one up cheap, but keen to know how much more oomph the Opteron processor would give me in something like ESXi.

rp2000

4 cores, not 2? No idea tbh all things being equal.

Dont believe you have to put ESXI on USB either.

4 cores, not 2? No idea tbh all things being equal.

Dont believe you have to put ESXI on USB either.

Hi, I have done more reading since I posted and found some charts showing difference in processing power (was just struggling yesterday so I posted here).

The USB for loading ESXi was in 3.5 but that has been rectified with 4.0 + and now ML115's can install it on a SATA HDD (I read the USB method in this thread, but some posts were old, as were posts on the internet corroborating that info).

Might buy a couple of these M115 servers in the next couple of days.

rp2000

I'm not sure why runnng esx off a USB drive would be a problem. That's how I do it now and it works really well. It also lets me use the HDD for storage too.
Given the quad core CPU, you'll be able to run more guests compared to a dual core CPU.

I want to make my ML115 G5 a lot quieter. I want to change the PSU, CPU cooler and case fan.

The CPU cooler and case fans need to run at over 1000rpm, or the monitoring immediately shuts down the machine. It is very hard to find PWM fans that run at 1000rpm minimum. I would really just like to use the Zalman cooler and Nexus fans I already have, but they run too slow at their lowest speed.

Has anybody managed to change the shut down event fan speed range in the IPMI interface through SSH?

Anyone had any luck doing this or using quieter fans?

I am looking to buy a 2nd ML115, I bought my first in Oct 2009 for £189, disappointing to see that the same retailer is selling it for over £300 now. I cant find anywhere doing it for less than £270 now either :/

hasn't it been superseded yet?

There was talk on TechHead.co.uk that it was being dropped by HP.

As for the price, I think HP realised they were giving them away. I just checked with an HP distributor and they are listing my trade buy price as £230+VAT (200 due in stock end of this month)

I've just brought one for ESXi - works well. Installed a PERC 6 RAID controller and 4 x F3 1TB harddrives in RAID10.

Other than the slightly noisy fans (for a home box) my main issue is that when copying files to a Windows 2008 virtual server, it whizzes along for the first minute or so then grinds to a halt - it's due to the "system" process on the guest OS that shoots up to 70% load across all cores. Stopping the copy brings it back to normal after another minute or so.

Any ideas guys? I thought it was the ESET AV software but disabling the realtime protection makes no difference. Possibly the onboard NIC? Believe it's a broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 (branded a NC105i) - thanks for any suggestions

4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
CT907746
Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
Package: 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 72 •

This should work, right?

4GB kit (2GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module
CT907746
Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
Package: 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 72 •

This should work, right?

Should do, yes. On Crucial's web site if you plug in the ML115-G5 it returns that memory as compatible.

Got a few Samsung SpinPoint 2TB's in one with no issues.

Cheers guys, which model is the 2TB? I've got 1 that came today but adding it to the windows home server storage pool is failing. Did you need to update any drivers / BIOS to get them to work?

I'm trying to add the drive now via the standard windows server 2003 disk management routine but the full format is taking an age :)

Just wanted to see if I was missing anything obvious, will wait for the 5 hours or so the format looks like it's going to take!

Just checked for you now mate, its the HD203WI.

Already had the latest BIOS on that particular ML115. No issues with detection etc and formatted the drives using GPT Disk option. 1862.89GB capacity per drive :)

Back
Top Bottom