Origin is awful

Soldato
Honestly, I've had no end of problems with Steam downloads lately, however Origin when I was downloading BF3 wasn't quite maxing out my connection but it was as good as (about 1mb/s slower than what my connection can perform at (which Steam does when it works).

The only problem I had with Origin is that it was taking a while for the activation thing to load up, but that's because it was effectively being DDOSED

Soldato
same some people just shouldn't own a pc it's usually the same ones that cry about having to tweak their OS all the time or struggle to get games working unlike like on the consoles :rolleyes:
I always get the feeling like other people are doing something wrong, I can't get X to run, PC keeps crashing etc but I rarely have a problem.

Maybe I'm just lucky and one day soon I'm going to have a diabolical problem :o

Soldato
In this thread, people who think because it's bad for them it's bad for everyone.
Also, people who think because it works for them without issue and is faster than another client, is the case for everyone.

What it comes down to are many reasons, it could be your ISP, it could be sales overloading the service, it could be technical issues with your setup if it's crashing.

Associate
I'm struggling to download DS3 at the moment, probably due to high volume of traffic, but usually I have no issue at all with Origin.

I changed my Origin email address few days ago and was expecting a torturous experience with EA support but 2 mins in live chat and it was sorted, no complaints at all.

Caporegime
Origin is utter crud. I hope for the day when we see a thread on here saying Origin is closing down like the recent GFW Marketplace announcement. Shame its not all of GFWL, just the marketplace bit. Both these DRMs are a brown smear on PC gaming.

Unfortunately, it seems EA have a monopoly when it comes to exclusive games like BF3 and soon BF4, which lets face it, like them or not BF3 is a very popular game among others like Crysis 3 and DS3 etc. So if Origin can survive mainly on the exclusives then I fear Origin will never go. In some ways, I only see Origin getting bigger as they secure more exclusive titles like that new Titanfall.

BUT STEAM PRICE GOUGING AND DRM IS FINE AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

I always get the feeling like other people are doing something wrong, I can't get X to run, PC keeps crashing etc but I rarely have a problem.

Maybe I'm just lucky and one day soon I'm going to have a diabolical problem :o

I can't remember the last time I had a problem running a game it must have been over 10 years ago easily , even adding mods to almost every game apart from minecraft is stupidly easy.

I have only ever formatted my os whenever I have bought a new pc as well and the last time I didn't even bother to do that.

switched from amd > haswell and left the os as it was and it's working perfectly fine

Last edited:
Soldato
I think some people on this board need to go back in time to when games were on several CDs, required CD-keys (sometimes a few of them) and then you'd have copy protection to deal with if it suspected your CD writer was an evil device used to steal money from game developers.

Having your games spread over two or three different apps is not a big deal, in perspective.

Permabanned
So I buy the humble bundle, get over to origin, enter the keys, and of course the downloads are unbelievably bad. They are either eternally 'resuming' or 'preparing' or they download for 10 minutes then stop completely.

None of the games have downloaded completely, and its not looking like they will.

I have tried a whole arsenal of fixes but nothing works whatsoever.

Not only that but upon spending 2+ hours looking online I have found numerous forums full of people like me now who have these problems - the thing is these people posted 2 years ago.

So EA have been aware of these problems for 2+ years and still nothing is done?
I am lost for words, I never realised Origin was this bad. Although I didnt spend a huge amount of money in this situation I know there must have been/are still people out there who have spent a lot of money buying some of these games through origin and experience the same problem.

Someone out there must have had a similar problem to this, surely?

because Steam was a bed of roses when it was released. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Never had problems with it before, but trying to download BF3 today has been a nightmare. Download keeps freezing -- shows a d/l rate and progress, but just sticks. Trying to pause/unpause it doesn't work, as it gets stuck at the "Pausing Download" notice.

Have to kill Origin, restart, log back in, and restart the download. Which is becoming a bit of an annoying chore.

Associate
Like all DRM it's fine ppl just have problems usually related to their own setup. For instance i was having problems with walking dead the other day. couldnt for the life of me get it to run. Turned out simply unplugging my joypad fixed the problem.

If in doubt, Google it :)

Associate
I have found that when windows turns off the display automatically it crashes the download on Origin. i just set it to not turn off the display while it is downloading and then it works fine. its a bit of a pain but it solves the issue

Soldato
I have found that when windows turns off the display automatically it crashes the download on Origin. i just set it to not turn off the display while it is downloading and then it works fine. its a bit of a pain but it solves the issue

That might actually be it, you know. I've left the machine unattended a few times and the display has gone to sleep during the day. Will keep an eye on it for a while now. Thanks!

Soldato
generally when it's a few = user error or your isp
Please tell me how this implies to me?

Yep had a terrible experience with Origin laggy interface, battlefield 3 got to 95% downloaded then decided to crash hard losing all the download and the web interface for BF3 is convoluted and required me to install a browser plug-in. Not impressed and doesn't seem to have improved since it launched.

Soldato
Well that's smashing for you, i'm pleased! But let's not discount how bad a service it is just because it work okay for you, alright?

So because it doesn't work for you it's a bad service?

And it's not exactly a mystery as to why some people are having trouble with downloads. Hundreds of thousands of people all trying to download the same games isn't exactly going to be easy on their servers, is it...

Soldato
So because it doesn't work for you it's a bad service?

And it's not exactly a mystery as to why some people are having trouble with downloads. Hundreds of thousands of people all trying to download the same games isn't exactly going to be easy on their servers, is it...
It's not just me though is it? :) It took me two seconds to find that even tech sites are also complaining about the service.

As for the server issues, they should have expected the bandwidth to increase with the bundle and added rented cloud solutions to deal with the load if they aren't prepared to buy more hardware to make the service run optimally.

Back
Top Bottom