Origin is awful

Soldato
I'm no fan of EA's business model these days, but my only issue with Origin is it's another thing to load up. I only use it for bargains though, so I can't complain, and this week once the initial -- and entirely understandable -- Humble fuss died down, I've found the website pretty responsive. DLed BF3 yesterday without any issues and am working on DS3 now.

All in all Origin is fine. Its only issue is it's not Steam. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Origin has always been stellar for me, whilst I prefer Steam in pretty much every single way, Origin has always massively trumped it for download speeds and customer service. With Steam I'll get 5-7Mb/s which is very standard for my internet, yet Origin will consistantly give 10-15Mb/s which is weird as Virgin cap my packages download speeds to 7-8Mb/s.

Uplay are the same these days, seem to give me 2-7Mb/s extra over what I'm capped to, how either of them do it though is beyond me.

Associate
I've had problems too. The only way I managed to get BF3 downloaded was to do the following.

Start the download. When it appears to have stopped (at about 20%) press pause on the download. This seems to crash the download not allowing you to resume downloading. Finally close and re-open Origin and resume the download.

I managed to download the full game doing this about 5 times over the course of the day.

Thankfully most of the keys from the Humble deal allow access through Steam :)

Associate
Origin is a pile of junk, I installed as many of my Humble Bundle games through Steam as possible, they all downloaded fine overnight. I installed BF3 and Dead Space 3 in Origin, it has managed 4% of BF3 so far, keeps pausing and never resuming.

This reminds me why I don't buy anything unless it has a Steam key!

Soldato
Another amusing thread. :D

You could just download the game from any torrent site, which would be quicker, considering the amount of people all trying to d/load at the same time on Origin.

Arr Jim Lad, problem solved. :D

Soldato
Origin is not bad. My download speeds on it are far superior to Steam's in the last couple of years and it has crashed less.

You must bear in mind that there are millions of cheapskates now hammering their servers trying to download these games.

I just wish they has not included BF3 as it makes it a little more tempting to cheat now, considering a replacement key costs peanuts. Too many idiots on there already. Suppose on the flipside there will be millions more school holiday noobs to shoot and annoy. :)

Man of Honour
It was fine for me yesterday morning download BF3, Stable speeds of between 3-4MB/sec on a 20mbit connection.

I did have issues with launching BF3 though after playing the first time which was solved with an update.

Associate
I have seen both sides o this in the last few days I've been downloading the humble bundle origin games (only because I have to bf3,sims 3,dead space 3) I haven't had a issue whatsoever all downloaded nicely however my house mate (downloading the same games)cannot download at all it constantly keeps stopping and crashing he is beginning to get a little annoyed however on the other hand I'm quite enjoying bf3......

Soldato
Origin is utter crud. I hope for the day when we see a thread on here saying Origin is closing down like the recent GFW Marketplace announcement. Shame its not all of GFWL, just the marketplace bit. Both these DRMs are a brown smear on PC gaming.

Unfortunately, it seems EA have a monopoly when it comes to exclusive games like BF3 and soon BF4, which lets face it, like them or not BF3 is a very popular game among others like Crysis 3 and DS3 etc. So if Origin can survive mainly on the exclusives then I fear Origin will never go. In some ways, I only see Origin getting bigger as they secure more exclusive titles like that new Titanfall.

Caporegime
Origin has been nothing but great for me could not care less whether is stays or goes.

same some people just shouldn't own a pc it's usually the same ones that cry about having to tweak their OS all the time or struggle to get games working unlike like on the consoles :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
I have slow internet and have to bought the bundle but my issue is with steam and its up and down crappy downloads it's shocking takes me about a week to download 7Gb, Yet on origin it's a constant and takes 2 days, Steam is starting to get on my nerves with its crap never thought I would prefer Origin to Steam in anything but it's happened. :(

Man of Honour
I have to agree with the OP on this one. The Humble Bundle has been my first introduction to Origin and my experience has been awful. Exactly the same problems with downloads as the OP. I have been trying to download DS3 for 3 days now and am only at 25%!! Start downloading then 10-15 minutes later it just stops downloading. All the games from Steam have been downloaded with no problems. Origin as it now is not fit for purpose.

Soldato
You get both Steam Keys and Origin Keys for most of those Humble Bundle games.

Click on the Steam tab, it goes to origin by default. In effect you get 2 copies of some games.

Back
Top Bottom