Outward - Open world RPG with co-op and split screen!

Soldato
Nice overview, thanks!

I think this sounds like something that would really suck me in.

How is it for character builds? Much variety in terms of options, different builds opening up different playstyles, etc.? I do like a bit of build depth in these types of games. (Still refining my Dark Souls III character and gear around 15 hours after picking it up again...)

You welcome ! :)

It ended up a bit long winded so it's all in the spoiler so others if they don't want to read wont have to scroll down to much. :o

You have no levels, so not like some games where you reach a level and can pick a couple skills etc (And can't compare it with Dark Souls since not played those games). You have 7 trainers you can talk with and they will teach you certain things. With all 7 you can pick a couple of their skill training's without being worried to be locked to a certain build. It looks at the picture below, from this trainer you can pick the 3 on the bottom of the chain without being worried to be locked out. If you look at the top right corner you see a 3 with a chain piece next to it. If picking the Spellblade's Awakening you would break the chain and have 2 left.

2DCDvcc.jpg

The 7 different builds are Spellblade, Shaman, Philosopher, Warrior Monk, Wild Hunter, Rune Sage, Rouge and Mercenary. So you can pick 3 of these and mix and match as you want too. Then other people will teach you lesser skills for 50 silver each (some free) and you start with 4 of them.

This shows the active skills that need to be equipped if being used on the fly. (Some can be activated from that screen directly if in no hurry)

1rOdzai.jpg

And here is the 8 keybindings that the skills, or other items as seen, can be placed. If being a mage most likely have most of those slots taken with spells. Unless you wanting to use a pistol when mage, then you need the reload skill, which are an active one and need to be bounded in one of the slots.
cfLzFlF.jpg

You also have passive skills you can take, so far I only have one though.
JhLLrAh.jpg

Here is my character so far and it's different attack, defense and Misc attributes. What kind of clothing you wear will also determine those attributes, not only your skills that you pick. As can be seen on my jacket, you also have Cold and Hot Weather Defense. The game has seasons among other things. :p
xx4YjyO.jpg

And you didn't ask about it but there is also crafting in the game. Some can be done on the fly as shown in this picture, then you have Cooking for food and Alchemy for drink/blesses as well. But as mentioned earlier, those are portable. Well, you can make food in some kitchens, but alchemy you need to be lucky and find a alchemy station (they exist as loot) or buy one. I caved in after a while and bought mine, then a few hours I found a couple in loot places ! :mad: :p
86FyqP2.jpg

You can't duel wield one handed weapons though, but if you want to go that way you can have a one handed weapon in your right hand and a spell book / dagger / pistol or lantern in your off hand. If you going bow or two handed weapon you can not carry a lantern in your hand at the same time, but most backpacks you can have it hanging from that one. Or do as I'm planning, take a bit of mana and then learn a light spell. :p

Hopefully this isn't a spoiler but things do respawn, but what I heard you need the leave the location/dungeon for 7 ingames days. So the main map where I am at right now is a bit empty since I killed almost everything and getting out there everyday so far. The dungeons on the other hand if you leave them be will repopulated with mobs and loot if not walking back in there. What do respawn though after some time even if you running around is plants, fish and minerals. Ohh and the inventory on some merchant are somewhat random as well. ;)

If any other questions, ask and I might have an answer. :p

Edit: Forgot the important stuff. There is NO saves. The game autosave and that's it. No F5 save scumming allowed. :p (But if googling you can find where the safes are and do it manual if things get screwed up and you get stuck some where). And you don't die, what happens when you lose your life is an 'event' starts and something random happens, as you be rescued by a stranger or might end up in prison, depends where you are when it happens. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato

Wow! Now that was a comprehensive reply! Thanks again! :D

I do like the sound of all of that. It sounds like there should be a lot of different combinations of skills and different things to try out.

I think I'm going to put this one to the top of my wishlist (well, maybe behind Sekiro...). I do wonder if it might be worth waiting to see what the devs do with in the coming months, though. Some of the shortcomings you mention seem like things a small team might work on improving now the game has launched and got a little bit of attention.

Soldato
Wow! Now that was a comprehensive reply! Thanks again! :D

I do like the sound of all of that. It sounds like there should be a lot of different combinations of skills and different things to try out.

I think I'm going to put this one to the top of my wishlist (well, maybe behind Sekiro...). I do wonder if it might be worth waiting to see what the devs do with in the coming months, though. Some of the shortcomings you mention seem like things a small team might work on improving now the game has launched and got a little bit of attention.

You welcome and yes, hopefully they be working on some of the things.

Would really be nice to see the world bit more populated, not necessarily with bandits, but guards walking around, maybe some hunters and more animals. One good things though, as for the moment, if you drop things you can come back and pick them up later, as long as you don't leave the area untouched for 7 days (think that's the respawn timer). Right now in the area I am in there just a few mobs walking around that I not killed due to they bit tougher then average. :p

Soldato
After reading through here and looking at ages reviews, I think this is a 'come back in 6 months' game for me to see if any of the issues have been ironed out.

I'll definitely pick it up eventually

Soldato
After reading through here and looking at ages reviews, I think this is a 'come back in 6 months' game for me to see if any of the issues have been ironed out.

I'll definitely pick it up eventually

As above I'll give it another try lost my pack with all the gear I'd been collecting for ages a couple of times and just couldn't be bothered to gathering it all again! I'd also started playing through KC:D again so want to finish that first with DLCs.

The graphics don't bother me too much so long as the game play is good which at times it is but I was also using that classic tactic of kiting/cheesing enemies near each other and then picking over the bodies after. Which is to say you can go just about anywhere but don't expect to be fighting everything at the beginning. No maps in dungeons too which put some off but I was brought up with drawing your own on paper so again not a great issue.

Some scaling decisions with buildings and landscape does also grate me a little plus buildings in the wilderness that are just eye candy, relatively speaking.

Soldato
As above I'll give it another try lost my pack with all the gear I'd been collecting for ages a couple of times and just couldn't be bothered to gathering it all again!

What you mean you lost your pack ? If you get overcomed by the enemies and wake up somewhere there is an icon on your compass for where your backpack are located. Normally it get teleported with you though, to where ever you wake up but if you drop it when fighting and get to far away from the backpack, then it be on the compass so you can find it again.

Soldato
It was while exiting a level that was sort of a side quest so without spoiling I made a decision that meant I left without my pack but I now know there was an alternative exit but I'm going to some back again as I'm playing KC:D & New Dawn currently.

Soldato
There's a very positive review just gone up on PC Gamer, for anyone still on the fence.

Combine this with enjoyable survival elements and a brilliant magic system, and Outward becomes a rare gem. It's got plenty of rough edges, but it's an RPG where traditionally mundane tasks become complicated, where normally simple decisions become weighty, and where it feels like every single choice you make really matters. I love this game.

Soldato
Yeah the PCG review made sure I will get the game eventually, when I bite through my current backlog (features 11 games and no time to play them, so it will be a while, sadly).

Soldato
Just found out that the game has sold in over 400.000 copies and there is a major update coming out. PCGames has an article about the sale and over at Steam one can see the changes that has and will be coming out. Ohh and the changes are all free as well. :)

Also, this might be good news if anyone had trouble with crashes or performance issues before.

We are also currently working on another patch in which we update the game's engine (update from Unity 5.6 to Unity 2018) which should increase general performance, stuttering and fix a bunch of crash issues people were experiencing, especially in Enmerkar and Abrassar. This will eventually be available in the Experimental branch of Steam like the patch we release today was.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I bought this for myself and a mate two days ago, we've now racked up nearly 11 hours from two evenings of playing. We both got a bit burnt out playing Divinity Original Sin 2 (or rather, waiting for everyone to be available to play) so thought we'd give this a bash. I remember it was a bit so-so in reviews when it first came out but seems to have done better now with some performance patches and the Unity upgrade.

Really enjoying it. A lot of people seem to have complained about the lack of shared progress, but this doesn't bother me as the character I've made will only be used for this co-op play through. The combat is a nice change yet challenging, the graphics are very good with the odd texture or too looking a little dated when up on the TV for some sofa gaming with a controller. I feel like it could have been a bit clearer, so far, with regards to tasks but I'm glad it's not a retail WoW hand-holding bore-fest. Can see me sinking quite a lot of hours into it at this rate!

Soldato
I started this last night after finishing RDR2. Bit of a change of scene!

So this game is pretty spare with the details and seems pretty unforgiving, as people here have said.

I've been hungry, thirsty, low on health, over-encumbered, out of stamina, tired... and I have no real idea what I'm doing! Also, I can't seem to light my lantern anymore. I guess it's out of oil, but I haven't come across any lamp oil up to this point. Oh, and I seem to have the carrying capacity of an arthritic grandmother!

It does remind me of the old Gothic games, as in @TheSwede's post above, which is what is keeping me going with it, really. I remember feeling totally lost in those games and slowly but surely finding my footing.

So here I've stumbled across a greathammer and some better clothing, saved my house and now... I'm not sure. I'll probably pick this up again this evening, but if I don't get a handle on what I'm doing soon I may go a bit mad... :)

Soldato
I've just picked this up as well and am playing with the wife.

We're contemplating starting a fresh as we've been kicked out of our house already lol. The time we've played has been enough to learn a little of what we're supposed to do. I think...

Soldato
Okay. I made 50 silver or so and seem a bit better equipped. Still finding it all confusing, but think I have a base to work from now. Time to explore the world!

Presume you've got the rucksack? Before you venture out make sure you have a bedroll, bandages, fire making kit, food and water.

We died and woke up in the middle of nowhere and had to figure out where we were then how to get back to the city which was quite a perilous journey lol.

Soldato
Presume you've got the rucksack? Before you venture out make sure you have a bedroll, bandages, fire making kit, food and water.

We died and woke up in the middle of nowhere and had to figure out where we were then how to get back to the city which was quite a perilous journey lol.

I've got the nomad backpack, bedroll, bandages, food, water, all the stuff it seems I should need. The first map seems really big to navigate on foot. Also got a fang halberd and discovered attack combos, so I'm liking combat a bit more. Still scared of those giant prawns that look like they can shoot lightning at things, though (seen them fighting birds and hyenas and they look a bit formidable...)

It's a pretty slow start. I go out, kill a few bandits and hyenas, find my pack is overweight, go back and sell the loot, and repeat. I must have done that trip six or seven times already. I've amassed a couple of hundred silver now, but there's not much to spend it on in the first town. I can't remember where I'm supposed to go next. Another town, but I don't see it on my map.

Back
Top Bottom